ROG Strix G513RM suddenly stopped working after pluggin in AC. Seams dead.

Hi

I've bought a ROG Strix G513RM 1 year ago. 6800h and rtx 3060
a week ago i was doing some stable diffusion work on it. I've noticed that was low on battery so i decided to plug it in. 5 second pass and then the screen goes black. I tried to turning it on but nothing happened. Seams dead. My assumption is that the psu board is gone. However, being a laptop i assume that the psu board is on the mb and there's no way to purchase that separately. Am i right? also i have no idea where to reliably buy a new mb for that laptop. I live in Italy if that helps

I've already sent my laptop at an asus store but they are taking to much time to figure out what wrong. 

thanks for your answer, I'm desperate rn cause i need that laptop asap.

1 minute ago, __Dreamer__ said:

Hi

I've bought a ROG Strix G513RM 1 year ago. 6800h and rtx 3060
a week ago i was doing some stable diffusion work on it. I've noticed that was low on battery so i decided to plug it in. 5 second pass and then the screen goes black. I tried to turning it on but nothing happened. Seams dead. My assumption is that the psu board is gone. However, being a laptop i assume that the psu board is on the mb and there's no way to purchase that separately. Am i right? also i have no idea where to reliably buy a new mb for that laptop. I live in Italy if that helps

I've already sent my laptop at an asus store but they are taking to much time to figure out what wrong. 

thanks for your answer, I'm desperate rn cause i need that laptop asap.

yeah the psu is part of the mainboard, so if that is indeed the issue, you either need a new board or someone competent enough to repair it (if possible)

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /

Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

yeah the psu is part of the mainboard, so if that is indeed the issue, you either need a new board or someone competent enough to repair it (if possible)

thanks for the answer, you have been already faster than the Asus store. As far as you know it, anyone sell that part separately and is even possible to soldering back on the mb?

If it's the DC Jack, you can typically order them online and they can be soldered back on by someone competent at it. It could also be a battery issue, if you haven't already you can try removing the battery and powering it on with only the charger plugged in, if it powers on and boots up it may just be a faulty battery.

Another option you have is to check if it is still under warranty, if it is you can send it in for RMA and have ASUS fix it/replace it for free. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

If it's the DC Jack, you can typically order them online and they can be soldered back on by someone competent at it. It could also be a battery issue, if you haven't already you can try removing the battery and powering it on with only the charger plugged in, if it powers on and boots up it may just be a faulty battery.

Another option you have is to check if it is still under warranty, if it is you can send it in for RMA and have ASUS fix it/replace it for free. 

unfortunaly is not the battery nor the external PSU, cause both works. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, __Dreamer__ said:

thanks for the answer, you have been already faster than the Asus store. As far as you know it, anyone sell that part separately and is even possible to soldering back on the mb?

i'm pretty sure the power supply isn't sold seperately even on secondary markets like ebay, you may be able to find a local computer shop that does board level repair, and they MIGHT be able to help you

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /

Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

1 minute ago, __Dreamer__ said:

unfortunaly is not the battery nor the external PSU, cause both works. Thanks 

Just out of curiosity, if the system doesn't power on how do you know both the battery and charger are working? Not trying to be abrasive, I just work in this field and deal with this particular issue on a regular basis. What testing did you do to determine it's the DC Jack and not the battery or charger?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Just out of curiosity, if the system doesn't power on how do you know both the battery and charger are working? Not trying to be abrasive, I just work in this field and deal with this particular issue on a regular basis. What testing did you do to determine it's the DC Jack and not the battery or charger?

Thanks for your effort, much appreciated. anyway
I plugged in the external PSU and check the barrel jack with a multimeter. Expected output is 20V and i got 20V. As for the battery, was working fine before the accident and on a naked eye inspection everything seams in working order. The laptop doesn't turn on even without a battery. 

Now you got me thinking tho, is this laptop supposed to turn on without a battery? Let's say that the battery took the "overvoltage" to protect the laptop, the battery might be dead, How can i check it?

12 minutes ago, __Dreamer__ said:

Thanks for your effort, much appreciated. anyway
I plugged in the external PSU and check the barrel jack with a multimeter. Expected output is 20V and i got 20V. As for the battery, was working fine before the accident and on a naked eye inspection everything seams in working order. The laptop doesn't turn on even without a battery. 

Now you got me thinking tho, is this laptop supposed to turn on without a battery? Let's say that the battery took the "overvoltage" to protect the laptop, the battery might be dead, How can i check it?

Typically testing it with the battery removed or unplugged from the laptop is the one and only way. If the charger is plugged in and the battery is completely removed it would determine a motherboard or DC jack issue if it still doesn't power on. That's what I was curious about. If you have not tested it in such a way and the battery is bad it can prevent the whole system from powering on, it needs to be fully unplugged from the board/out of the laptop entirely to test it properly. If you have done that and it still doesn't power on I'd say it's the DC jack or the board. 

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Typically testing it with the battery removed or unplugged from the laptop is the one and only way. If the charger is plugged in and the battery is completely removed it would determine a motherboard or DC jack issue if it still doesn't power on. That's what I was curious about. If you have not tested it in such a way and the battery is bad it can prevent the whole system from powering on, it needs to be fully unplugged from the board/out of the laptop entirely to test it properly. If you have done that and it still doesn't power on I'd say it's the DC jack or the board. 

does the dc jack have any internal ics that might get fried by an overvoltage?
also, aren't laptop supposed to have fuse?

Just now, __Dreamer__ said:

does the dc jack have any internal ics that might get fried by an overvoltage?
also, aren't laptop supposed to have fuse?

Typically all of that is handled in the charger cable, if it has a brick on it that's the power supply/ overpower protection, usually with laptops it will either fry the jack itself or the whole board if there is a power issue. Really the only way to check is after trying without the battery  you need to replace the DC jack and hope it works after that, if it doesn't something on the board is fried and you're looking at either a lengthy and expensive process of having it diagnosed and fixed by someone who does component level repair, or just purchasing a new/used motherboard. In either case a new laptop is going to be cheaper or faster, or in some cases both.

Again, just to reiterate if it's still under warranty and Asus is currently looking at it, they should be able to repair it or at least replace it for you. If they already have it you're kind of at their mercy.