External SSD disconnects itself after 15 seconds (Unusable)

Dimchez

Hi,
I have bought HP P500 external SSD a couple of month back, and I've formatted it for usage on macOS with the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system. As of this morning when I tried copying a file from my internal SSD to it, it disconnected mid-copying. Ever since then I cannot open a single file on my external SSD, because when I reconnect it, it shows up, I'm able to open a folder for the next 2 seconds, and then it's unusable, any folder I try opening is stuck at loading, and after a little bit of that it disconnects the SSD like the picture shown below (I'm pretty sure an event of loading a specific thing triggers this,  and after that happens anything becomes unusable - I can even record what happens if someone is interested to help:
image.png.cd9fa1c47c377c8080bc2cbcbb49fd95.png

The cycle continues - I reconnect the SSD, I'm able to open any folder if I click fast enough - that folder is loaded, but then nothing happens after that - it just disconnects after a bit. Even if I don't try to open a folder after a while it disconnects itself. Need any type of help I can get - thanks in advance!

Have you checked, if the drive still shows up in a partition manager of your choice? Maybe the drive just gets unmounted. If that's the case, you could try mounting it again.

Driver updates for the sata controller or reseating ssd. Try the ssd in a different computer to make sure it isn't the problem.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

6 minutes ago, StillerMarcel said:

Have you checked, if the drive still shows up in a partition manager of your choice? Maybe the drive just gets unmounted. If that's the case, you could try mounting it again.

It shows inside Disk Utility for the duration of the time before it disconnects itself.

6 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Driver updates for the sata controller or reseating ssd. Try the ssd in a different computer to make sure it isn't the problem.

I'll try connecting it to another laptop tomorrow, as I don't have one at my disposal right now - will be kind of hard though as most of my friends have a Windows laptop, and this is Mac OS Extended filesystem ://

5 minutes ago, Dimchez said:

It shows inside Disk Utility for the duration of the time before it disconnects itself.

I'll try connecting it to another laptop tomorrow, as I don't have one at my disposal right now - will be kind of hard though as most of my friends have a Windows laptop, and this is Mac OS Extended filesystem ://

This may have a solution, someone had the had the same issue when using a dock for the ssd 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254729737?answerId=258832098022&sortBy=best#258832098022

cc5308bd-072e-4147-a8fd-10c795e27def

20 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

This may have a solution, someone had the had the same issue when using a dock for the ssd 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254729737?answerId=258832098022&sortBy=best#258832098022

cc5308bd-072e-4147-a8fd-10c795e27def

I've went over this - first I went into recovery mode as they suggested and did the first aid on the disk - surprisingly there it did not disconnect at all - and I even had time to do the first aid test twice - had 0 problems. As soon as I am back into regular mode, connect it - wait 15 seconds & it disconnects itself being unusable all the time - the files that were stopped mid-copying are still there just greyed out, if it helps the case:
image.png.99560b0f60131646e776ce6f032055fb.png

About the Energy Saver, it's not present in Sonoma, but I found it under battery, I tried doing that but it doesn't work ://

2 hours ago, Dimchez said:

I've went over this - first I went into recovery mode as they suggested and did the first aid on the disk - surprisingly there it did not disconnect at all - and I even had time to do the first aid test twice - had 0 problems. As soon as I am back into regular mode, connect it - wait 15 seconds & it disconnects itself being unusable all the time - the files that were stopped mid-copying are still there just greyed out, if it helps the case:
image.png.99560b0f60131646e776ce6f032055fb.png

About the Energy Saver, it's not present in Sonoma, but I found it under battery, I tried doing that but it doesn't work ://

Once you get a chance back up everything on the external ssd and reformat it maybe? Also the drive could simply not have drivers for mac os and that's why it keeps failing. Do you know the exact model of the drive?

3 hours ago, StillerMarcel said:

Have you tried rebooting after changing that setting?

I've tried restarting with every combination from the battery thing, and a lot of other stuff.

1 hour ago, Hellowpplz said:

Once you get a chance back up everything on the external ssd and reformat it maybe? Also the drive could simply not have drivers for mac os and that's why it keeps failing. Do you know the exact model of the drive?

What I've done is I went into the Terminal in Recovery mode, and I've copied some of my most important files and folders with basic bash commands like "cp". Then I went into the Disk Utility, and did Erase on it, but it gave me an error. I went into regular mode, tried erasing again, and I got this:
image.png.5d2825a27b63858a2436bfe2945d27b9.png

Now the disk cannot even be accessed ://

1 hour ago, Dimchez said:

I've tried restarting with every combination from the battery thing, and a lot of other stuff.

What I've done is I went into the Terminal in Recovery mode, and I've copied some of my most important files and folders with basic bash commands like "cp". Then I went into the Disk Utility, and did Erase on it, but it gave me an error. I went into regular mode, tried erasing again, and I got this:
image.png.5d2825a27b63858a2436bfe2945d27b9.png

Now the disk cannot even be accessed ://

This is out of my hands 😕 I don't even have a mac so I gave you all of my help. Peace

23 hours ago, Hellowpplz said:

This is out of my hands 😕 I don't even have a mac so I gave you all of my help. Peace

Thanks for the help anyhow, I appreciate it tons!
For anyone reading this, in case they know more, I've succesfully connected the disk to a windows laptop, formatted it to exFat, and everything worked correctly, it recognized it on my MacBook, but as soon as I tried to erase the exFat format so I can create Mac OS Journaled it failed again. Any help would be appreciated!