Hooking up a old hard drive?

Windexerr

So years and years back I had a gaming PC that ended up blowing up while playing a fishing simulator, after it blew up I never tried to turn it back on at all or anything so I dont know if it was just the graphics card or what, but I had two hard drives hooked up to the computer, now I have two gaming pc's and was wondering if I could safely hook up the hard drives to one of my current machines and access the old files on them, or should I not even try due to the computer blowing up? Like could they possibly mess up my current pc if they were shorted during the explosion or something like that.

i7 13700kf - gigabyte b760 DS3H - 32gb teamgroup 3200mh - asus tuf 4070 12gb - nzxt 650w gold psu - msi m371 1tb nvme  m.2 ssd - kraken 240mm aio - h5 elite case

Cant figure out how to delete this posting, I posted it also in troubleshooting where I think it belongs.  :L 

i7 13700kf - gigabyte b760 DS3H - 32gb teamgroup 3200mh - asus tuf 4070 12gb - nzxt 650w gold psu - msi m371 1tb nvme  m.2 ssd - kraken 240mm aio - h5 elite case

I think you're fine connecting those hard drives to your computer. If any damage is going to happen, it will likely be to the drives themselves.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I think you're fine connecting those hard drives to your computer. If any damage is going to happen, it will likely be to the drives themselves.

Okay so if anything at the worst they just wouldn't show up on my system?

Just now, Windexerr said:

Okay so if anything at the worst they just wouldn't show up on my system?

Correct.

If you really wanna ensure your system is safe(which I think this whole thing is a non-issue and it'll work out fine), you can buy external hard drive enclosures that connect to external power directly through your outlet. Connect one of the drives to the enclosure, give it power, and turn it on without plugging into your computer and see what happens. If something goes wrong, your PC won't be affected.

Did you actually do a full investigation of the computer that had issues? What did you end up doing with the computer? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

30 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Correct.

If you really wanna ensure your system is safe(which I think this whole thing is a non-issue and it'll work out fine), you can buy external hard drive enclosures that connect to external power directly through your outlet. Connect one of the drives to the enclosure, give it power, and turn it on without plugging into your computer and see what happens. If something goes wrong, your PC won't be affected.

Did you actually do a full investigation of the computer that had issues? What did you end up doing with the computer? 

I was so mad at the time I ended up just taking the whole thing apart instantly and putting it into a box, When I was playing the fishing sim that blew it up I was in the middle of changing the settings from Ultra down to low settings, and I could hear the fans ramping up in the PC and then I saw some smoke and before I could even react an explosion happened. I always assumed it was the GPU (gtx 660) but now that I think about it, it could of been the cpu cooler fan going to hard and then exploding maybe? 

EDIT: I think I did try to turn it back on and nothing happened but I never took out the GPU and then attempted a boot up or anything like that.

Edited by Windexerr

I was so mad at the time I ended up just taking the whole thing apart instantly and putting it into a box, When I was playing the fishing sim that blew it up I was in the middle of changing the settings from Ultra down to low settings, and I could hear the fans ramping up in the PC and then I saw some smoke and before I could even react an explosion happened. I always assumed it was the GPU (gtx 660) but now that I think about it, it could of been the cpu cooler fan going to hard and then exploding maybe? 

The only reason I downloaded the fishing sim is cause my friend was over who liked to fish and I was trying to entertain him so I was pretty pissed that my "good deed" ended up blowing up the PC thats why I instantly took it apart and stored it away.

3 hours ago, Windexerr said:

EDIT: I think I did try to turn it back on and nothing happened but I never took out the GPU and then attempted a boot up or anything like that.

The CPU cooler fan wouldn't have exploded. It would've simply maxed out to whatever the motor is capable of spinning the blades at. 

Do you remember what power supply was in it? Not sure it's worth discussing it now though, unless you have some intent of trying to revive it.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The CPU cooler fan wouldn't have exploded. It would've simply maxed out to whatever the motor is capable of spinning the blades at. 

Do you remember what power supply was in it? Not sure it's worth discussing it now though, unless you have some intent of trying to revive it.

Nah mostly just trying to revive the Hard drives, but let me look in my box and see what the power supply was

also, could I use a Hard drive docking station to hook the hard drive to my current pc and check whats on it from there rather than having to buy sata data cables and risk hooking it up to my current PSU?

also, could I use a Hard drive docking station to hook the hard drive to my current pc and check whats on it from there rather than having to buy sata data cables and risk hooking it up to my current PSU?

Yup, that's what I was talking about with the external enclosure - same thing, just worded differently. Just make sure it's using external power to ensure it's separate from the computer. I highly doubt anything is going to go wrong though.

amd phenom II cpu // msi 760gm p23 mobo // evga gtx 660 // rosewill lc 8500btx 500w psu // 2 x Kingston 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yup, that's what I was talking about with the external enclosure - same thing, just worded differently. Just make sure it's using external power to ensure it's separate from the computer. I highly doubt anything is going to go wrong though.

Oh okay perfect, now just time to find the right thing for me then, cant wait to get to my old steam account, when i try to recover the account it tells me its locked or something like that :L 

1 minute ago, Windexerr said:

amd phenom II cpu // msi 760gm p23 mobo // evga gtx 660 // rosewill lc 8500btx 500w psu // 2 x Kingston 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz

I had no idea I was rocking a AMD chip the whole time, didn't know much about anything at the time though lmao

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Hard drive enclosure just got here and its seems to be working, I can now see a desktop, downloads and documents folders which is where what I need is 😄

Sike, Couldn't find what I really really wanted :L but I did find thousands and thousands of saved photos so thats nice.  🙂