Stick with Intel or switch to AMD 7800X3D For Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Current Specs:

Intel i5-12400F

MSI RTX 3050

ASUS Prime B660M-A AC D4

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz

1TB MSI M371 

2TB Samsung 980 Pro 

I'm getting pretty serious with MSFS these days and also would like to explore City Skylines 2 which I know is another resource intensive title.  I'm fine with my current setup at high settings in General Aviation aircraft in rural areas but if I use add-on scenery combined with an airliner near say NYC or LA I struggle to get 30FPS and also get frequent stutters so I need to upgrade to do those things.

From what I've been able to tell researching GPU's a 4090 is probably overkill for me just wanting to do 1440p at Ultra Settings so I'm eyeing the 4080 Super as my GPU upgrade.  I just can't figure out which CPU to pair with it.  Do I stick with Intel and do a 13900K or 14900K or are those overkill like the 4090 is/was?  Or do I do a complete platform change and get a new motherboard and look for one of the AMD X3D CPU's like the 7800X3D or 7950X3D?  AMD seems to score higher on the various benchmark charts I've seen but is it worth upgrading a motherboard just to go with one of those CPU's?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated especially if you're a MSFS user yourself

Last I heard Cities Skylines 2 is basically broken, no CPU on the market can fix it.

MSFS will eat whatever GPU you throw at it and from I can see greatly benefits from more VRAM so the people really serious about it seem to be going 4090.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/636240-any-fs2020-nvidia-rtx-40xx-benchmarks/

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

So the CPU is OK as is?  I wasn't expecting that Wouldn't I be extremely CPU bottlenecked pairing a 4080 or 4090 with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping (hopefully that's OK).  The more research I've done has basically given me the AMD 7800 X3D as an ideal candidate.  Where i'm stuck is if a platform upgrade to AMD since that requires a new motherboard is worth it in my use case?  Or should I stick with Intell and go with say the 13900K or 14900K?  It would appear that the 7800 X3D is better for gaming over both of these and also runs cooler.  If that's the case any recommendations for a motherboard to pair with it?