The windows software protection platform task is going crazy and won't go away even after permamently disabling it in the regedit

I have an older Dell L702x with a Win 10 pro and up to now everything was fine, but maybe due to some update or something (not the latest one, but it started happening a while ago), the Windows software protection task thing has been devouring my cpu resources and doing it in 10, 20 second intervals. For example it completely goes crazy and spins the fans loudly, then everything goes to normal and then it starts again and so on.

I've tried suspending the task (which works for 20 seconds), I tried disabling it in the task scheduler and I even tried going to the registry editor and writting 4 instead of 2 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc  ....and this finally worked...for one or two days, after which it started showing up again, even though the registry thing still has 4 written.

Basically I've tried all the options listed here https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-or-fix-microsoft-software-protection-plat-form-service-causing-high-cpu-usage/