Black Screen of death every time I put the GPU underload.

CIRCUITOUS
Go to solution Solved by zinco,

I suspect the PSU. secondly the temps

PC specs:

i5-12600KF

Gigabyte B660I

2x8 3600mhz corsair

RX 6600 XT

3 SSDs 

PSU 450W corsair

This whole ordeal happens even when I am watching youtube. Playing games last about 1-3 minutes before my screen goes black and I cant do anything with the PC. This lead to a force shutdown with the pc case button.

Now which is the problem, the gpu or the psu?   because on pcpartpicker when I build this pc, it showed no problems with the build and it was compatible with everything.

I am suspecting its the psu but I want to know if there could be something else.

I suspect the PSU as well. 450W is on the edge of the systems requirement wattage

Also, system wattage calculators, may it be on pcpartpicker or any other, they are almost always giving false info. most don't leave enough headroom. it doesn't account for the PSU aging and reducing its capabilities over time.

I'd also ask how old the PSU is. the older it gets, the lesser its ability to give out its rated wattage gets.

"IF DREW DIDN'T FILM IT, THEN IT AIN'T FILMED RIGHT" 🥶

4 minutes ago, zinco said:

cpu at 60 c  

gpu at 75 c

which could add to the problem since the gpu blows air right under the psu

every fan runs at 1000 rpm

https://ultimategamingparadise.com/store/pc-components/power-supplies/500-600-watts/be-quiet-sfx-l-power-600w/?trc_gcmp_id=20465858786&utm_campaign=Multi_Audience_Shopping&utm_content=&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2eKtBhDcARIsAEGTG42DGiKHmysYa7zJJHr1O5HdR24MtgH4-t1jIKwy18ZiW7gSf1EnZwMaAktUEALw_wcB

will this be a better option?

what were you doing when you took those temp readings?

also even if it was a temp issue, I'd swap the PSU out for a higher wattage one. just for stability.

1 minute ago, zinco said:

what were you doing when you took those temp readings?

also even if it was a temp issue, I'd swap the PSU out for a higher wattage one. just for stability.

I was playing FH5 with the radeon performance overlay

The 6600 XT has a 160W TDP, the entire system should draw around 250W under load. It's not an issue with the wattage of the PSU, if anything, it's way overkill. The PC not losing power from the PSU is also a pretty clear sign that it's not a PSU issue.

Try disabling any overclocks, including XMP, and run the memory at 2133 MHz. You could also try to uninstall the drivers with DDU, and reinstall them. 

:)

56 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The 6600 XT has a 160W TDP, the entire system should draw around 250W under load. It's not an issue with the wattage of the PSU, if anything, it's way overkill. The PC not losing power from the PSU is also a pretty clear sign that it's not a PSU issue.

Try disabling any overclocks, including XMP, and run the memory at 2133 MHz. You could also try to uninstall the drivers with DDU, and reinstall them. 

I have not overclocked anything except the XMP, which I turned of 20 mins ago and it still does give me the black screen. I have used DDU 2 days ago.

This time it did this after I quit FH5. It just might be a faulty psu.

1 hour ago, CIRCUITOUS said:

I have not overclocked anything except the XMP, which I turned of 20 mins ago and it still does give me the black screen. I have used DDU 2 days ago.

This time it did this after I quit FH5. It just might be a faulty psu.

i just launched furmark at 1440p and cinebench at the same time and it gave the the black screen. My gpu didn't go over 130w and the cpu was staying at 110w. This shows its the faulty psu. Note if I run one of these apps it doesn't do that.