Windows 11 worth it?

Newkist

Is windows 11 worth it as a gamer in 2024?

I am still hearing a lot of mixed responses when it comes to whether windows 11 is worth it. For me the only reason I'd upgrade is because I have 2 monitors and they are the same size just different resolution meaning I have a part of the screen I can't use to drag my mouse across to the other part as on Nvidia it shows the 2nd monitor as smaller. Apparently it's fixed in windows 11.

However some people said it made their gaming harder and difficult as well as being annoying in general for example it's essentially the same just if you want to do something it will take 2 extra steps to do it now such as right click desktop to open display. 

There are fixes for this however but it requires you to download this and that which I don't want to. The only things I'll be downloading is ram and money.

I've been using Windows 11 for around 2 years now, in terms of fuctionality it's pretty similar to Windows 10.

The thing about "being more annoying" is somewhat true, like the Microsoft account nonsense and whatnot, but I think it's fine.

5 minutes ago, Newkist said:

However some people said it made their gaming harder and difficult as well as being annoying in general

That depends on what you're doing/used to doing. The new context menu for example is a bit annoying, but you get used to it.

So, in my opinion, it's worth upgrading.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

You can just use this to fix the mouse issue. https://github.com/mgth/LittleBigMouse

I like Windows 11, but there are still some issues. For example sometimes I can't set different background images for each monitor. Then somehow it works again and next boot it breaks again and shows the same image on both monitors...

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

13 minutes ago, Newkist said:

Is windows 11 worth it as a gamer in 2024?

I am still hearing a lot of mixed responses when it comes to whether windows 11 is worth it. For me the only reason I'd upgrade is because I have 2 monitors and they are the same size just different resolution meaning I have a part of the screen I can't use to drag my mouse across to the other part as on Nvidia it shows the 2nd monitor as smaller. Apparently it's fixed in windows 11.

Its kinda redundant given Windows 10 wont get security updates after late 2025, you have to upgrade eventually.

I've been running 11 since it first launched and not had any issues running games on it.  Going forwards, DirectStorage is supposed to be better optimised on 11 so future games should run better than on 10.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, Newkist said:

However some people said it made their gaming harder and difficult as well as being annoying in general for example it's essentially the same just if you want to do something it will take 2 extra steps to do it now such as right click desktop to open display. 

W11 haven't changed anything for me when it comes to gaming. What kind of things do those people claim makes gaming harder/more annoying for them?

I can right click the desktop on my PC with w11 to open display settings.

Do you have any other specific examples?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 1/29/2024 at 8:49 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its kinda redundant given Windows 10 wont get security updates after late 2025, you have to upgrade eventually.

I've been running 11 since it first launched and not had any issues running games on it.  Going forwards, DirectStorage is supposed to be better optimised on 11 so future games should run better than on 10.

it kinda isnt, because A ltsc is a thing, B you don't need "security updates" just use a different AV once defender inevitably stops working C by that point, in all likelihood, windows 12 is out (didn't think of that one, did ya!? 😉 )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/31/2024 at 9:28 AM, Mihle said:

W11 haven't changed anything for me when it comes to gaming. What kind of things do those people claim makes gaming harder/more annoying for them?

I can right click the desktop on my PC with w11 to open display settings.

Do you have any other specific examples?

i tried 11 on my laptop,  it was ok, for the most part, but i mod a lot and the new context menu made modding my mods nearly impossible, because it simply takes too long, so i pretty much immediately went back to 10 just so i could keep playing and modding my games. 

also the "round edges" give me nausea,  no thanks (sorry)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it kinda isnt, because A ltsc is a thing,

B you don't need "security updates" just use a different AV once defender inevitably stops working C by that point, in all likelihood, windows 12 is out (didn't think of that one, did ya!? 😉 )

a) I guess for workstation/office use then that is true, but using LTSC for gaming is insane, its not intended for that.

b) That is absolutely not true, as all you need is one security hole that enables admin access which can circumvent AV entirely.  For an AV to work effectively, the base OS needs to be as secure as possible to begin with.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

also the "round edges" give me nausea,  no thanks (sorry)

That's certainly a strange issue I've never heard before, you must have a hard time using a smartphone.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/29/2024 at 2:32 AM, Newkist said:

s windows 11 worth it as a gamer in 2024?

At the end of the day you have till October of next year till Windows 10 goes in to not supported. My friend runs Windows 11 and has no issues. I still run 10 because Im too lazy to update. That and I saw a rumor that Windows 12 might hit as early as June or July this year and I want to wait and see whats going on with that, I might skip 11 all together.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:28 AM, Mihle said:

What kind of things do those people claim makes gaming harder/more annoying for them?

The only thing I have seen are a few articles where updates caused issues with gaming performance is some instances. Either they were fixed quickly or work arounds were created.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.