Seeking Budget-Friendly Power Solutions for External HDDs in Proxmox Server Setup

I'm in the process of setting up a server using a Dell OptiPlex 7060 Small Form Factor and am looking for advice on managing power requirements effectively. Your insights and suggestions would be incredibly valuable!

My Setup:

• Base System: Dell OptiPlex 7060 SFF

• Processor: Intel Core i5 (8th Gen)

• RAM: 32GB

• Power Supply: 200W

• Main OS: Proxmox VE (for virtualization)

• Intended Services:

• Media network storage

• Firewall for network security

• Testing and development environments

Storage Configuration:

• Plan to add 5 x 4TB 3.5" HDDs Raid 5 and one 500 GB SSD.

• The HDDs will be located outside the case, connected with SATA cables to the inside of the PC.

• An M.2 or PCIE card to 5-Port SATA expansion card will be used for the additional HDDs.

Budget Constraints:

• I'm working within a budget, so cost-effective solutions are essential.

• Looking for the best balance between affordability and reliability.

Challenge:

• The 200W power supply of the OptiPlex may struggle with the added drives and the variety of services running.

• Need a budget-friendly way to power the external HDDs without overloading the internal PSU.

Seeking Advice On:

• Economical yet reliable methods to outsource power for the external hard drives.

• Recommendations for budget-conscious external power solutions.

I'm looking to create an efficient and stable server setup without breaking the bank. any advice you can offer would be tremendously helpful!

Thank you in advance for your help!

37 minutes ago, Brut112 said:
  • The 200W power supply of the OptiPlex may struggle with the added drives and the variety of services running.

• Need a budget-friendly way to power the external HDDs without overloading the internal PSU.

Get a cheap-ish ATX PSU to power the whole system, Wolfgangs Channel did a whole video about cheap PSUs that are efficient at low loads.

The other idea would be a 12V power brick (like a USB-PD charger with a breakout board) with at least 60odd watts which you solder an old S-ATA power lead to. You can get those "1 S-ATA Power to 5" off ebay for maybe 10€, last I checked, one of those would be the perfect base. You have to be comfortable with soldering though, and accept the certain amount of risk associated with that idea.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?