I often get FPS drops and stutters even though my PC is good.

h23

The title says itself. My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB RAM DDR4 3000mhz
RX 6600XT 8 GB VRAM
Corsair 650W (80+ Bronze)

But I don't know why I often get FPS drops and stutters. In Overwatch my pc was suffering. My screen was freezing from time to time with 30 FPS minimum. Sometimes this is not always the case but it applies also for other games. 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

have you done any form of maintenance or diagnostics to the machine?

how do i do this?

6 minutes ago, h23 said:

The title says itself. My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB RAM DDR4 3000mhz
RX 6600XT 8 GB VRAM
Corsair 650W (80+ Bronze)

But I don't know why I often get FPS drops and stutters. In Overwatch my pc was suffering. My screen was freezing from time to time with 30 FPS minimum. Sometimes this is not always the case but it applies also for other games. 

How many background tasks are you running and what does your RAM utilization look like? Also, if you're using an HDD to run Windows or the game, that could also be an issue.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

14 minutes ago, h23 said:

how do i do this?

such as updating windows or games or drivers , or checking the system temps , or checking hardware usages , cleaning out dust , ect....

Is this a recent PC purchase or have you had this computer for a while? If recent purchase, contact the seller to see if know what's up.

Is the issue something new and there were no issues before? If you've had this PC for a while and this is a new issue, it means something might be going on. Have you checked Task Manager to see if anything was using a lot of your computing resources ?

When was the last time you updating the drivers? Newer game updates might require newer GPU drivers to work properly.
When was the last time you checked the temperatures of your hardware ? Might be a good idea to dust off the computer if you've had this for a while.

To check the temperatures, I suggest the ZIP version of HWmonitor, simply extract and run :

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.59f2886a43201777c333669b85021b98.png

Did you overclock the CPU or the GPU ? If so, revert to no overclock and retry the game to see how it plays. If it works fine, it means the hardware got "older" and you need to readjust the overclock.
Is the RAM running XMP / EXPO ? If not, set it that way in the BIOS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

55 minutes ago, Agall said:

How many background tasks are you running and what does your RAM utilization look like? Also, if you're using an HDD to run Windows or the game, that could also be an issue.

I don't have an HDD. I only have Opera GX in the background and discord. 

41 minutes ago, emosun said:

such as updating windows or games or drivers , or checking the system temps , or checking hardware usages , cleaning out dust , ect....

I often check Windows, Driver updates, and Hardware usage. But with the temperature I haven't yet. Maybe I'll try to do that. I clean my PC once a month

18 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Is this a recent PC purchase or have you had this computer for a while? If recent purchase, contact the seller to see if know what's up.

Is the issue something new and there were no issues before? If you've had this PC for a while and this is a new issue, it means something might be going on. Have you checked Task Manager to see if anything was using a lot of your computing resources ?

When was the last time you updating the drivers? Newer game updates might require newer GPU drivers to work properly.
When was the last time you checked the temperatures of your hardware ? Might be a good idea to dust off the computer if you've had this for a while.

To check the temperatures, I suggest the ZIP version of HWmonitor, simply extract and run :

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.59f2886a43201777c333669b85021b98.png

Did you overclock the CPU or the GPU ? If so, revert to no overclock and retry the game to see how it plays. If it works fine, it means the hardware got "older" and you need to readjust the overclock.
Is the RAM running XMP / EXPO ? If not, set it that way in the BIOS.

No this is not a recent PC. It's 2 years old now. The issue has been there for a while now. I often check Task Manager to monitor the usages but everything is normal. I clean my pc once a month. I haven't checked the temperatures yet but I will do it. 

7 minutes ago, h23 said:

No this is not a recent PC. It's 2 years old now. The issue has been there for a while now. I often check Task Manager to monitor the usages but everything is normal. I clean my pc once a month. I haven't checked the temperatures yet but I will do it. 

Long stutters like that can be a few things, but its usually a result of a hard limit. That could be various things:

-CPU utilization, though unlikely with your specs

-HDD, new or old, will severely limit your framerate just by its nature. Whether that's the game existing on the HDD or even worse if Windows does. SSDs are practically required for a smooth gaming experience in 2024.

-RAM utilization above 90% with 16GB likely means there's periods where its having to dump to make space. This isn't guaranteed but depends on your background tasks

-Hard thermal limit that's causing throttling

-Malware, but that's unlikely to cause that severe of a problem

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Run a scan with Malwarebytes and also check temps while idle and under load(preferably in the game your having the trouble in) and share the results with us. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I expect the answer to be yes when I ask if the XMP is enabled, am I correct?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

I expect the answer to be yes when I ask if the XMP is enabled, am I correct?

I have completely forgotten what XMP is... is it when you increase the ram memory?

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Run a scan with Malwarebytes and also check temps while idle and under load(preferably in the game your having the trouble in) and share the results with us. 

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I dont have malwarebytes but i'm keeping an eye on the temperature right now.

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Long stutters like that can be a few things, but its usually a result of a hard limit. That could be various things:

-CPU utilization, though unlikely with your specs

-HDD, new or old, will severely limit your framerate just by its nature. Whether that's the game existing on the HDD or even worse if Windows does. SSDs are practically required for a smooth gaming experience in 2024.

-RAM utilization above 90% with 16GB likely means there's periods where its having to dump to make space. This isn't guaranteed but depends on your background tasks

-Hard thermal limit that's causing throttling

-Malware, but that's unlikely to cause that severe of a problem

I also have noticed that my CPU/GPU is most often not fully utilized... 

58 minutes ago, h23 said:

I have completely forgotten what XMP is... is it when you increase the ram memory?

XMP on default is just to enable the speeds the RAM was advertised at

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

XMP on default is just to enable the speeds the RAM was advertised at

yes, the XMP is on. what about it?

Just now, h23 said:

yes, the XMP is on. what about it?

nothing, that's good

PC:

PCs I used before:

2 hours ago, h23 said:

I dont have malwarebytes but i'm keeping an eye on the temperature right now.

Then download and install it, it's free...

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |