Why is my minecraft server lagging even when my CPU is only at 50% load

waterghost_2046
I am using Oci's VM.Standard.A1.Flex 4core, 50GB. 
However, 20000MB is always unused and tps drops. CPU usage does not exceed 50%.

Welcome to the LTT forums!

What version of Minecraft are you running?

I assume that you are likely running Java.

In which case you are dealing with a single threaded application, i.e. it only can use one of your four cores due to how it was coded (as it was developed in an era where one or two cores were the norm).

Anyhow as Java can only use one core and you have four, task manager or whatever monitoring application you are using is probably displaying the average load over all four cores, and as your other cores are not doing anything, save for one running the OS and all of the other bloat or secondary processes. 

Assuming this is the case then your other cores are all free real estate for another server or something.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Look at usage of

53 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

In which case you are dealing with a single threaded application, i.e. it only can use one of your four cores due to how it was coded (as it was developed in an era where one or two cores were the norm).

There are mods that attempt to add multi-threading support: https://paper-chan.moe/folia/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply