Compact disc copies do not work despite using various methods for creating them

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

If you rip the disc to an ISO image, then mount that ISO as a virtual disc, does it work?

You could also try copying the contents of the disc 1-for-1 onto an external flash drive. Depending on how the software was written, it could be using absolute file paths to find all its parts. If that's the case, it won't work if you copy it to another folder like your desktop.

I have a CD with results of a CAT scan on it and it works OK - i.e. I can go to its

fc\bin\cdviewer.exe

an a viewing program will run itself when I execute this file, allowing me to see medical data with a GUI

But when I copy content of that CD to a drive using Windows Explorer or TeraCopy 3.12.0 or [run as Administrator] Fast Copy 5.1.0 x64 then executing this EXE [even also as Administrator] does nothing. And if go within BIN or ISO image of this CD made with Ashampoo Burning Studio 14.0.5 and run that EXE then I will get 3 consecutive pop-up errors informing me about suppossedly missing DLL files- but these files are present within those image files. I have double checked the size of the whole ordinary copies and image copies and compared it with that reported by the system for content of the CD- they all have the exact number of files and folders and also the overall size expressed in bytes

So can not protected by a password CD work- but its copies do not? I can access the raw medical data within copies, which is hard for any usage, but its GUI add-on is inaccessible

Over the years I have copied many such CDs with medical records to my drives using different methods and they all work. As for this Blu-ray of mine: I use it rarely only for such tasks and for restoring my operating system from images and creating new ones- thus I can assume it is in a pristine condition that yields no copying errors during its usage

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64

If you rip the disc to an ISO image, then mount that ISO as a virtual disc, does it work?

You could also try copying the contents of the disc 1-for-1 onto an external flash drive. Depending on how the software was written, it could be using absolute file paths to find all its parts. If that's the case, it won't work if you copy it to another folder like your desktop.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have not thought about this; because I was under the wrong impression of Windows 10 having made obsolete the need to mount images - while as it turn out it was my the-go-to filemanager FreeCommander that allows me to navigate to my image files [just like in case of ZIPs and other archive files]

If I use Windows Explorer I cannot just navigate images- I have to first use the Mount option from the shell menu of WE which option shows only for the ISO version and not the BIN; and which option is absent from the shell menu when using FreeCommander

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction; problem solved