Recomendations for 10Gig NAS server and router

Hey, I now have the option to get 10G optical fiber to my home and this got me thinking about a few things. I need a new router thats able to handle this speed but it does not need to be wireless as I only want the 10G speed for my pc and a NAS server. My plan is to then connect a 1 or 2.5G access point to the router for the wireless network. So the hope is that I can download and upload files onto my own personal cloud (NAS server) at 10G speeds. I'm trying to find ways to do this as cheaply as possible and that's the main reason I'm looking for advice.

What are your recomendations for the following:

Router that has a 10G WAN port as well as a 10G LAN to my PC (does not need to be wireless)

NAS server that has (or the option to have) a 10G network port

Best software to host a cloud interface for my NAS (if it dosn't already come with it

For the router, does power matter much? The Supermicro x10slh-n6-st031 is pretty cheap, and can pretty much handle 10GBe network traffic. Not the most power efficient, and can be a pain case wise if you don't want to use the 1u supermicro case as its a long ATX case. Then install a router OS like PFsense or OPNsense.

If you want a cloud interface, something like Nextcloud works well. 

How much storage do you need for the NAS/

8 minutes ago, Eythorlexi said:

Hey, I now have the option to get 10G optical fiber to my home and this got me thinking about a few things. I need a new router thats able to handle this speed but it does not need to be wireless as I only want the 10G speed for my pc and a NAS server. My plan is to then connect a 1 or 2.5G access point to the router for the wireless network. So the hope is that I can download and upload files onto my own personal cloud (NAS server) at 10G speeds. I'm trying to find ways to do this as cheaply as possible and that's the main reason I'm looking for advice.

What are your recomendations for the following:

Router that has a 10G WAN port as well as a 10G LAN to my PC (does not need to be wireless)

NAS server that has (or the option to have) a 10G network port

Best software to host a cloud interface for my NAS (if it dosn't already come with it

Contact your ISP or look on their site to see what they offer for equipment 

Definitely ask your ISP to see what equipment is bundled with your 10G service. Telus here in Canada gives you a router/ONT combo that has 4x1G ports and 1x10G port, so I can cheaply get 10G networking simply by buying a 10G switch, which is much cheaper than a 10G router.

It's also possible your ISP gives you 10G capable networking while only giving you say 2.5Gbps internet, in which case the QNAP QSW-2104-2T-A-US, which I use to get 10G between two devices and 2.5G to the Internet.

Building a 10G NAS is probably a whole other topic you'd need to do more thinking about, but Intel X540 PCI-E with dual ports cards are quite cheap, but they can only do 1 or 10G (no 2.5 or 5G). This can also serve for your own custom 10G router. Consumer 10G cards based on Marvell AQC107 or AQC113C are also quite good.

10 minutes ago, BillBill said:

Contact your ISP or look on their site to see what they offer for equipment 

For the router, I have. The router that they rent with their internet subscription does have a 10G WAN but only 1G LAN's. So their routers don't handle 10G to one device, only 1G for multible devices. Also I never rent or buy routers from any ISP as they tend not to be very good in my experience.

2 minutes ago, Eythorlexi said:

For the router, I have. The router that they rent with their internet subscription does have a 10G WAN but only 1G LAN's. So their routers don't handle 10G to one device, only 1G for multible devices. Also I never rent or buy routers from any ISP as they tend not to be very good in my experience.

Do they offer different equipment options if you choose a static IP?

50 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For the router, does power matter much? The Supermicro x10slh-n6-st031 is pretty cheap, and can pretty much handle 10GBe network traffic. Not the most power efficient, and can be a pain case wise if you don't want to use the 1u supermicro case as its a long ATX case. Then install a router OS like PFsense or OPNsense.

If you want a cloud interface, something like Nextcloud works well. 

How much storage do you need for the NAS/

The Supermicro motherboard sounds good, I don't mind the case and I'm not too worried about power consumption as electricity is quite cheap here in Iceland. However I have heard horror stories about spy-chips on Supermicro motherboards. Is this something to worry about?

3 hours ago, Eythorlexi said:

The Supermicro motherboard sounds good, I don't mind the case and I'm not too worried about power consumption as electricity is quite cheap here in Iceland. However I have heard horror stories about spy-chips on Supermicro motherboards. Is this something to worry about?

I don't think there is any proof of spychips on Supermicro boards. There was a article with no proof that came out a while ago.