Reference 6950XT Underclock/Undervolt results

ShadowChaser

I know the 6950XT is pushed a little far beyond the optimal spot on the VF curve so for my daily use I simply dropped the PL by 10% and let it chug away happily at the 255W TGP that results. I got interested in seeing how much further down the VF curve I could go considering that a 10% drop in power is the maximum that AMD supports on this guy compared to the 40%+ on other GPUs.

I would be interested in seeing how other 6950XTs compare but I doubt people bought this card just to kneecap it with ridiculous limitations 馃槢

I used Afterburner to make changes though Adrenaline would be fine as well, Time Spy to verify stability, and Furmark (1080p 8xMSAA) to get worst-case power draw. My testing was mostly limited by how much time the Time Spy stress test takes to run as well as how this card simply refuses to run all core loads at lower power (as is to be expected given the original PL limitation)

Undervolt Target Clock Power (W) Core Clock Core Voltage Time Spy FPS Avg (20 pass) %diff FPS %diff Power Furmark Power Furmark FPS %diff FPS %diff Power
-10PL Stock N/A 255 2235 1006mv 131 --- --- 255 114 --- ---
1080mv 2400 245 2330 956mv 137 4.58 -3.92 272 121 6.14 6.67
1090mv 2300 220 2235 900mv 132 0.76 -13.73 245 117 2.63 -3.92

The baseline is the -10% PL that I have been dailying and so the goal was to match performance while pulling less power. Should be easy, right?

My best result had the card running at 2235mhz @ 0.881v but it was borderline unstable so bumping it up to 0.9v cleared things right up. A power reduction of over 30W in a traditional rendering scenario is pretty solid IMHO and even under a torture test it still drew less power than the original power limit change.

This GPU really doesn't like to be worked hard under 0.9v I've found. Not sure why that is, perhaps it's so low that the vf curve just falls off. Maybe someone with more knowledge on how AMD's powerplay tables works could educate me on this as I've only really UC/UVed Nvidia GPUs in the past and they tend to be just as happy running at 0.85v as 1.05v.

Daily Driver:Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop:NCase M1聽- 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC:Fractal Terra -聽5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

A power reduction of over 30W in a traditional rendering scenario is pretty solid IMHO

wow 30 whole watts huh?

The issue is the limitation of the voltage curve and the fact the card will still try to reach the max voltage no matter how much you lower the slider so it will always max out the power. The only benefit is that the card will actually run lower voltage at lower clocks so on avg you will save some power but it also can cause instability in scenarios where the card is actually not doing much work while having no issues at max load.

(red is example of the voltage slider when you lower it in Adrenaline SW), I don't know for sure if it also lowers Vmin or not but I doubt it.

image.thumb.png.6e2aa61b188deb9823fa0da18558a20b.png

You can actually limit the max voltage and power with MPT and the card will never exceed those values so you'll be able to save a LOT more power with barely any performance degradation if you'll try to restrain it to stock clocks. And you can combine it with the Adrenaline voltage curve as well.

image.png.b1337b8fcefbd76b696c53c93250561f.pngimage.png.34a57406d198137040cf08b0d7e960ab.png

You can also save another 15-20W by just undervolting SOC.聽

44 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

This GPU really doesn't like to be worked hard under 0.9v I've found. Not sure why that is, perhaps it's so low that the vf curve just falls off. Maybe someone with more knowledge on how AMD's powerplay tables works could educate me on this as I've only really UC/UVed Nvidia GPUs in the past and they tend to be just as happy running at 0.85v as 1.05v.

it's as simple as not being able to function properly due to lack of resources, same with car stopping because you used too little gas or let go of the clutch too hard/fast without having enough gas/motion

and since AMD isn't Nvidia, their power design is simply different, and so is efficiency, and other aspects like certain core counts, or if I compare a 6950 XT to a 3090 which are like 2% relative performance apart, 6950 XT runs at almost double frequency in memory clock, and clocks significantly higher at least in numbers, and all the other stuff like individual chip count, technology, generation, etc. (so much more)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

The issue is the limitation of the voltage curve and the fact the card will still try to reach the max voltage no matter how much you lower the slider so it will always max out the power. The only benefit is that the card will actually run lower voltage at lower clocks so on avg you will save some power but it also can cause instability in scenarios where the card is actually not doing much work while having no issues at max load.

(red is example of the voltage slider when you lower it in Adrenaline SW), I don't know for sure if it also lowers Vmin or not but I doubt it.

You can actually limit the max voltage and power with MPT and the card will never exceed those values so you'll be able to save a LOT more power with barely any performance degradation if you'll try to restrain it to stock clocks. And you can combine it with the Adrenaline voltage curve as well.

You can also save another 15-20W by just undervolting SOC.聽

I debated using MPT or not and it looks a little too complicated for a plug and chug sort of operation. Maybe in a few years when I retire this card and try and get as much out of it as I can. I'm not power or thermally restricted in my daily use case but going from 550W total system power down to about 400 without any perceivable performance loss is pretty good in my book. If I do something stupid like trying to stuff this gpu into a Fractal Terra again then maybe I'll invest the time and budget to do it right.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

wow 30 whole watts huh?

Shocking!

Jokes aside I dislike running this card at 350W+ but if you use that as a baseline...

34 minutes ago, podkall said:

it's as simple as not being able to function properly due to lack of resources, same with car stopping because you used too little gas or let go of the clutch too hard/fast without having enough gas/motion

and since AMD isn't Nvidia, their power design is simply different, and so is efficiency, and other aspects like certain core counts, or if I compare a 6950 XT to a 3090 which are like 2% relative performance apart, 6950 XT runs at almost double frequency in memory clock, and clocks significantly higher at least in numbers, and all the other stuff like individual chip count, technology, generation, etc. (so much more)

Yeah I just wish that you could edit the v/f curve in afterburner on amd like you can with nvidia. Guess I need to actually learn how to use MPT now

11 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Yeah I just wish that you could edit the v/f curve in afterburner on amd like you can with nvidia. Guess I need to actually learn how to use MPT now

you can, but it's like, managing to go 20km in a car for just 1 liter of fuel

and then trying in a different car going 20km for only 1 liter of fuel

these cars have different engines, and just because one can run certain mileage for X amount of fuel, doesn't mean the other car is capable of going similar mileage with similar amounts of fuel

• or that achieving same results will require same amount of effort

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I have rx6900 xt biostar and -80 mV, -5% power limit results in -10C while being a lot quiter and running 40w less

11 hours ago, Likwid said:

I have rx6900 xt biostar and -80 mV, -5% power limit results in -10C while being a lot quiter and running 40w less

Why would a 5% power limit drop 40w off the power usage?

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard :聽HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

19 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Why would a 5% power limit drop 40w off the power usage?

-80mV mostly did the trick imagine if core runs at

1.2V at 250Amps you get 300w.

1.12V at 250Amps you get 280w.

Temperature drop also helps to reduce power.

Lower temp, lower power leakage.

TechYesCity has a great video about underclocking