Seeking Advice from Internet/Networking Geeks - Your Input Needed

B4rt997
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

I think the first thing you should check is if you have good 5g signal where you are located.  If you don't have a bunch of antennas around you, you may not get good 5g or you may get slow speeds. 

Also note there's a fair use policy with those, the description says 600 GB/ month 

I don't know what other providers are around you, and how was your experience with them. 

This page shows around 3-4 ISPs with various plans  https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/check-my-area/birmingham/

I dont have anyclue about this so thats why i need an advice.

My broadband internet contract has ended, and I'm curious to see if it's better to get an unlimited SIM card with a router for better signal. Overall, I want to know the pros and cons of this option.

I came across this SIM card on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Unlimited-Data-Sim-Preloaded/dp/B09W1NYQFS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2C4ZPMLEX2YSN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.V9h7UJt9pCj-C5xD0qrAGSFYkpQi6dmcB-1XewJ6JmS0CLClfhd0cJsKbwjQxnEOWy3WbcjxNX6Uw09qr9O_hg.Lpn_ssL0So9dJfpKJ7JPPh02CZD6uyNvT14sIMSs0_U&dib_tag=se&keywords=zte+5g+sim+card+router&qid=1705034910&s=computers&sprefix=zte+5g%2Ccomputers%2C69&sr=1-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d7e5a2de-8759-4da3-993c-d11b6e3d217f&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

If I decide to get this, I assume I would need a dedicated router. Any recommendations on which one to get or any better options for the price? I'm looking to spend no more than £150. This router is frequently bought with the SIM card, but would an ASUS router be a better choice, or is the pricier ZTE router worth considering?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Connection-Configuration-Management/dp/B016ZWXYXG/ref=pd_bxgy_img_d_sccl_1/261-4133936-9139251?pd_rd_w=PvlHv&content-id=amzn1.sym.40f919ed-e530-4b1a-8d7e-39de6587208d&pf_rd_p=40f919ed-e530-4b1a-8d7e-39de6587208d&pf_rd_r=3TSPZN1T3N10S6JDG0W0&pd_rd_wg=ZXNVz&pd_rd_r=ce0d53d9-d0a9-4d5f-9653-9670f56efb37&pd_rd_i=B016ZWXYXG&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-MC801A-Unlocked-Consumption-Warranty/dp/B0BD9BH7TB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2C4ZPMLEX2YSN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.V9h7UJt9pCj-C5xD0qrAGSFYkpQi6dmcB-1XewJ6JmS0CLClfhd0cJsKbwjQxnEOWy3WbcjxNX6Uw09qr9O_hg.Lpn_ssL0So9dJfpKJ7JPPh02CZD6uyNvT14sIMSs0_U&dib_tag=se&keywords=zte%2B5g%2Bsim%2Bcard%2Brouter&qid=1705034910&s=computers&sprefix=zte%2B5g%2Ccomputers%2C69&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d7e5a2de-8759-4da3-993c-d11b6e3d217f&th=1

I'm located in Birmingham, UK, not far from the city centre, and 5G is available in my area. My broadband speed was 67mbps download and 12mbps upload. Currently, I'm connected to my phone's hotspot, and I'm getting half of the speeds.

Overall, is it worth switching to this plan, or should I stick with broadband? Will I experience a much stronger connection overall? I understand that it may be quite pricey, but since there are no monthly payments, I'm willing to spend around £400 in total, with £225 allocated for the SIM card.

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure if this would be a limitation?

This item is tailored for business customers. If your order is not in the name of company / non profit registered at companies house or an Amazon business customer, by purchasing, you affirm your status as a self-employed individual and consent to being listed as a business customer with Scancom Distribution Ltd, a necessary step to complete your purchase.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not sure if this would be a limitation?

I have a business im self-employed, and it's registered with Companies House, so it should be okay. I didn't even notice it that way; I assumed it meant business-grade, indicating signal strength. But before purchasing, I will contact them and see what they have to say

35 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

I have a business im self-employed, and it's registered with Companies House, so it should be okay.

I guess it should be fine then. Based on the price it works out to around 13£/month, which sounds quite reasonable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Do keep in mind that 4/5g routers are listed as the absolute least priority devicss for a cellular mast. As in if there is lots of traffic you will get just bad speeds so if you live in an area with lots of people (you said close to a city) these cellular routers tend to suck

I think the first thing you should check is if you have good 5g signal where you are located.  If you don't have a bunch of antennas around you, you may not get good 5g or you may get slow speeds. 

Also note there's a fair use policy with those, the description says 600 GB/ month 

I don't know what other providers are around you, and how was your experience with them. 

This page shows around 3-4 ISPs with various plans  https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/check-my-area/birmingham/

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

Thank you for the link, previously i had Sky and the best connection that they had to offer was 67mbps for £28pm. I went with Virgin with 264mbps for only £30.50. Think that will be my best option for myself and for my wallet. Thank you!