A Rootkit infected to my PC

My computer was infected with a Rootkit and I started to clean it, but the only problem was that I could not install BIOS Flash on my USB memory without installing the operating system, because EZ Flash only supports FAT32 and I have to install the operating system with NTFS, and I do not have a second computer. So I had to install the operating system and then install the BIOS flash into the USB. and I flashed my BIOS. My computer was fixed, but is there still a virus injected or can it be infected again? Thank you for your help.

-Regards, satirewalker

3 minutes ago, da na said:

It can be infected again if you download a virus again. I doubt you had to reflash the BIOS, often just reinstalling Windows does the trick. But if you have completely wiped every drive the malware should be gone.

Rootkit doesnt gone after re-install Windows i m needed flash my bios and virus is gone! but i m worry about the re-infect

My computer was infected with a Rootkit and I started to clean it, but the only problem was that I could not install BIOS Flash on my USB memory without installing the operating system, because EZ Flash only supports FAT32 and I have to install the operating system with NTFS, and I do not have a second computer. So I had to install the operating system and then install the BIOS flash into the USB. and I flashed my BIOS. My computer was fixed, but is there still a virus injected or can it be infected again? Thank you for your help.

-Regards, satirewalker

You could always pick up a couple cheap flash drives from the store. They'll probably be formatted as FAT32 right out of the package.

Reflashing your BIOS shouldn't be necessary for cleaning an infection. Erasing your drive and writing a new partition table is more than enough.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, satirewalker0606 said:

Rootkit doesnt gone after re-install Windows i m needed flash my bios and virus is gone! but i m worry about the re-infect

It would only re-infect if you download the same rootkit or if it wormed to another device on your network. Considering you don't have another PC, you're probably fine.

Just be safe on the internet and don't get infected again 🙂 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

44 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You could always pick up a couple cheap flash drives from the store. They'll probably be formatted as FAT32 right out of the package.

Reflashing your BIOS shouldn't be necessary for cleaning an infection. Erasing your drive and writing a new partition table is more than enough.

I don't know exactly what this user is dealing with, but I did want to pop in here to point out that BIOS level rootkit infections that persist through OS reinstalls and drive replacements are a thing.

6 hours ago, Agall said:

It would only re-infect if you download the same rootkit or if it wormed to another device on your network. Considering you don't have another PC, you're probably fine.

Just be safe on the internet and don't get infected again 🙂 

Yeah i know that i m just try to say i m previously still have a Rootkit on my BIOS while i m formatting the drives and that BIOS rootkit (before i m flashing bios) can re infect to my hdd?

1 hour ago, satirewalker0606 said:

i m previously still have a Rootkit on my BIOS while i m formatting the drives

if you have a root kit, don't put new hard drives on that motherboard before you flash a completely new BIOS. You can pass the infection that way.

Quarantine the existing drive, format the contaminated drive, then format the BIOS with a BIOS flash.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@satirewalker0606

It is very unlikely that you have a rootkit, and less so that it is inside your motherboard firmware.  Do you have data to prove which file or files have been added to your system?

Here are some suggestions:

Use Mozilla Firefox browser for privacy and trackers blocking, and install the browser addon NoScript.  It will prevent websites from running any scripts on a website when set to "untrusted".

Most websites need the main website scripts to load, so you'd need to enable every website in noscript as you visit them.  I do this, and it's very easy.

A simpler way is to use privacy badger, developed by the https://eff.org

It won't stop malicious websites scripts though, which is why I mentoin NoScript.

A second more effective way to protect yourself from malware online is to browse the web in a virtual machine.  It sounds very complex, but it is very easy.

Open Windows software store and download Ubuntu (translates to harmony).  This installs a computer operating system that runs in a virtual space.  It is designed to not transfer to your regular system.  Also, Ubuntu, even in this virtual style, is far more secure than Windows, and there are only around 40 known viruses for the system, all of which need your password for system access.  This is because Ubuntu is a Linux system, and Linux literally runs the Internet, all the way from network switches, network routers, firewalls, and web servers, it's all Linux.  All top 500 super-computers run Linux too, as well as the International space station, and voyager 1, 2 and the mars rover, all using Linux.

This way you can browse the web, and not only are you using a far more secure system, there are not many vectors of malware for Linux, if some unthinkable way, you did get malware on Linux, it would not be able to traverse out of the virtual system.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:10 PM, satirewalker0606 said:

-Regards, satirewalker

Do you have a phone? If you have one you can use a usb adapter to get the new bios on a usb, or if your phone has an sd card slot add the files to the sd card to that usb, then plug it in with an adapter to your pc. I had to do this too, because of my bios not supporting my cpu and ram.

Sorry if i misinterpret or say something rude, i'm on the spectrum and have a hard time with anything social. I do my best to make sure i don't but sometimes i just cant tell.

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS ROG STRIX B450F-II Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 5700g

8GB Trident Z Neo RAM - 3200 MHZ

2 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD + other ssd drives totaling to 2 tb

Seagate 750W PSU Platinum Rated

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G rev 2.0

VERY FIRST COMPUTER SPECS

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz

2GB LPDDR4-3200

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

yeah it was basically a raspberry pi 4 model b 2gb. I do have a 4gb now cause the 2 gb one shorted out. Still love absolutely everything about that tiny computer as its the reasons i like computers so much now and the reason i know so much about computers and how to use them.

"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." - Edsger Dijkstra