Ohms issue bookshelf speakers 6ohms

Kamranbites
Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,
4 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

Yes when the resistor is not doing anything so we should remove it why is it there hanging around

Moreover we dont know what it is doing  in my circuit  with bridge setup is it changing audio curves  or ohms we don't know that 

And regarding the capasitor some think it might be culprit to Changing in ohms 

So to pin point the issue we need to look into those things 

Capasitor, resistor

They both have something to do in circuit.

Mostly as resistor is bridge we assume it is 0 resistance but it might be having some purpose no manufacturer will just throw in some resistors then bridge them

In end the issue is change in ohms before it spoils my amplifier we need to rectify it 

Yes it is true that I don't hear sound difference but we can't hookup one speaker 6ohms and other 20ohms to my amplifier right?

The resistor had a purpose, until it got bridged, now its basically not in the circuit anymore. There is absolutely no reason to remove it, other than you desperately need it for another project.

Also, higher impedances are only a problem for certain tube amplifiers, which you don`t use. So there is absolutely no problem. Also when both speakers sound the same, there is no problem. The only one that can even cause such a change of impedance is the woofer, so the capactor and the resistor aren`t measured when you measure the loudspeaker with a normal multimeter, since it only measures with DC, which the capacitor will simply filter out.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Like do you hear any sound issues or something?

What speakers are these?

If they are proper ancient they may have a bad resistor or solder joint

Being old doesn`t change anything. You wouldn`t believe how many quite new speakers have these problems.

But otherwise, you are right.

2 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

But the ohms reading, Instead of 6 it shows 20-30ohms.

Why is that 

How did you measure? A lot of factors can cause that. But if you don`t hear a difference between these speakers, they should be OK.

28 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Being old doesn`t change anything. You wouldn`t believe how many quite new speakers have these problems.

How did you measure? A lot of factors can cause that. But if you don`t hear a difference between these speakers, they should be OK.

I used multimeter and set it at ohms as I said I have pair of this bookshelf speakers so first measured one speaker it showed 6 and other 20-30ohms 

As said before they are not always 20 or 30 for some time it stays then back to 6ohms 

Is the problem with capasitor ? 

But I don't see any issue 

Regarding that resistor is that doing anything or should I remove it ?

Most of people say as resistor legs are bridge it will not work it is dummy but from online info i found this 

(the resistor might still have a purpose. When one leg of the resistor is connected to the capacitor and the other leg is connected to the tweeter, and a wire is bridging both legs, it might form a specific impedance network or alter the crossover slope, affecting the frequency response of the tweeter. This configuration could be part of a particular crossover design to fine-tune the audio frequencies sent to the tweeter.)

again attaching pic of crossover somone can have more clear look of it and say if it is doing some work(resistor)

Collage_20240106_221132.jpg

1 hour ago, Kamranbites said:

Most of people say as resistor legs are bridge it will not work it is dummy but from online info i found this 

(the resistor might still have a purpose. When one leg of the resistor is connected to the capacitor and the other leg is connected to the tweeter, and a wire is bridging both legs, it might form a specific impedance network or alter the crossover slope, affecting the frequency response of the tweeter. This configuration could be part of a particular crossover design to fine-tune the audio frequencies sent to the tweeter.)

again attaching pic of crossover somone can have more clear look of it and say if it is doing some work(resistor)

Collage_20240106_221132.jpg

It did something until it got the wire soldered onto it, bridging its pins. Now it just sits there. Most probably this wire is a modification, because with it active, the tweeter will not be as loud.

By the way, a multimeter is not the most exact way to test speaker impedances. For example, when its loud in the room, the speaker will work as a microphone and you will get very weid results.

So in short, if it works, leave it that way.

4 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Am aware but if they are older it could just be a simple case of some tlc and done

9 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

It did something until it got the wire soldered onto it, bridging its pins. Now it just sits there. Most probably this wire is a modification, because with it active, the tweeter will not be as loud.

By the way, a multimeter is not the most exact way to test speaker impedances. For example, when its loud in the room, the speaker will work as a microphone and you will get very weid results.

So in short, if it works, leave it that way.

Ok so I don't need to change the capasitor? 

12 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

Regarding that resistor is that doing anything or should I remove it ?

1 hour ago, Kamranbites said:

Ok so I don't need to change the capasitor? 

Why do you keep asking if you can remove the resistor or capacitor when you've already told us that you're hearing no issues with the sound?

18 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

There is no sound issue both speakers sound same not a minor difference

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

25 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Why do you keep asking if you can remove the resistor or capacitor when you've already told us that you're hearing no issues with the sound?

Yes when the resistor is not doing anything so we should remove it why is it there hanging around

Moreover we dont know what it is doing  in my circuit  with bridge setup is it changing audio curves  or ohms we don't know that 

Capasitor, resistor

Mostly as resistor is bridge we assume it is 0 resistance but it might be having some purpose no manufacturer will just throw in some resistors then bridge them

In end the issue is change in ohms before it spoils my amplifier we need to rectify it 

Yes it is true that I don't hear sound difference but we can't hookup one speaker 6ohms and other 20ohms to my amplifier right?

4 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

Capasitor, resistor

The resistor had a purpose, until it got bridged, now its basically not in the circuit anymore. There is absolutely no reason to remove it, other than you desperately need it for another project.

Also, higher impedances are only a problem for certain tube amplifiers, which you don`t use. So there is absolutely no problem. Also when both speakers sound the same, there is no problem. The only one that can even cause such a change of impedance is the woofer, so the capactor and the resistor aren`t measured when you measure the loudspeaker with a normal multimeter, since it only measures with DC, which the capacitor will simply filter out.

12 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Thanks for clarifying @Heats with Nvidia

So capasitor doesn't contribute to ohms changes? 

So as long as there is no sound change it should not  concern

And one thing I will be gluing back the speaker tight so should I just close it or is it a good idea to replace the old capasitor with new one 2.2 uf 100v film capasitor

Old one is electrolite one 

What do you suggest?

This crossover looks relatively new to me, which for me means 90ies or newer. And most capacitors of that era are still fine, so there is no reason to replace them.