Are these good parts

Go to solution Solved by Jay4,
34 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The main thing I wouldn't want to change is that motherboard. The B760M PG Riptide really is the best board you can get for a 12400F system mostly due to its ability to overclock said CPU (it's only of a handful of boards that can, and the only one priced less than $200). The case and cooler are fine swaps if you're willing to spend the extra money, but you really want to keep that board as is. If you want to go for a board you think looks better, I'd move to the AMD system because there the board doesn't matter anywhere near as much. 

My reasoning behind saying an overclocked 12400F is faster on average than a 7600X is across some different testing methodologies. HardwareUnboxed has shown that it's about a 30% performance uplift in games, and on average the 7600X is only about 5-10% faster than the 12400F using TechPowerUp's testing (those two picked mostly out of convenience, HWU did the testing for overclocked 12400Fs and TPU is much easier to read quickly for everything else). There's outliers in either direction, yes, though on average I would still expect an overclocked 12400F to be the faster of the two. Whether or not that difference is meaningful is up for debate. 

To be clear, I would still recommend the AMD system in most use cases, but not really because it's significantly faster, more because you actually get an upgrade path and better CPUs. 

Alright I decided to go with ryzen and change the gpu to a 4060 ti, because you can always change them right, so I’ll change to a 4070 in the future, and had to change the motherboard to a WiFi one because I live in a two story house, and can’t have a Ethernet with that, is the 4060 ti worth it instead of a regular 4060, here’s the link to it https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hhyv28

Budget (including currency): $1200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, GTA, Valorant, Rainbow six siege, COD

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a PC Part picker list. I am looking for people to give me advice and suggestions on what I have chose. 
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jayden2308%40/saved/#view=bmcYWZ

Did you already buy the H100 cooler? Added on to what you have it pushes you over your budget. You certainly don't need a cooler like that for a 12400f, anyway. 

You could easily save money by getting a lower-wattage PSU, also. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Hello.

Why go with liquid cooling? i5 12400f isn't very demanding to run and air cooling CPU coolers should be more then sufficient, easier to maintain and cheaper.

Other then that, you might get a better value for your money with AMD GPUs.

Also a lower W rated PSU if you want to save more money, but this is fine if you want to have some space for future proofing. Around 650W should still be enough for ya.

You might also be able to save some money on a cheaper mobo, but it's not bad to splurge a bit for the upgradibility

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

Hello @Jay4,

few notes:

• List includes expensive 40CL latency RAM, 30CL RAM is possible with same Mhz speed and lower price
  • 12400f is okay but there are faster alternatives, especially for gaming, cheapest AM5 processor will run circles around it
  • Cheaper and faster SSD is possible, at same size too
  • 90% of recent gaming CPUs don't require Liquid Cooling, which can save up to 50$ or more
  • Motherboard could be slightly cheaper, especially with AMD AM5 it is easier to find reliable Motherboard if you don't need any special features
  • Cheaper case is possible too, but that's a personal preference
  • If you're looking forward achieving a certain aesthetic, price cuts are still possible regardless

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not completely terrible, but you can do a bit better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G6jwCd

Everything is cost optimized in the above build in order to afford a 4070, and you're right at the $1200 budget.

Isn't Corsair MP600 overpriced for what speeds it delivers?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

As far as I can tell, there aren't that many cheaper drives, and not ones that perform much, if at all better. It may have been in the past, but as far as I'm concerned now, it's fine. 

33 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

As far as I can tell, there aren't that many cheaper drives, and not ones that perform much, if at all better. It may have been in the past, but as far as I'm concerned now, it's fine. 

What about using the 10ish$ saved on RAM and get 10ish$ more expensive SSD like this?:
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.00 @ iBUYPOWER)
Storage: Crucial T500 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($107.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: TEAMGROUP Cardea Zero Z440 Graphene 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.99 @ Amazon)

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

I put one more instead of Corsair, that Corsair was missclick

PC:

PCs I used before:

3 hours ago, Catzzye said:

Hello.

Why go with liquid cooling? i5 12400f isn't very demanding to run and air cooling CPU coolers should be more then sufficient, easier to maintain and cheaper.

Other then that, you might get a better value for your money with AMD GPUs.

Also a lower W rated PSU if you want to save more money, but this is fine if you want to have some space for future proofing. Around 650W should still be enough for ya.

You might also be able to save some money on a cheaper mobo, but it's not bad to splurge a bit for the upgradibility

Thank you for the help, Can you go through these 2 build, 1st one is a Intel core and 2nd one is a ryzen, wanted to know if these are good builds for the price range of 1200 and which one is better

intel build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rQxXh3

ryzen build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jPHwCd

2 hours ago, podkall said:

Hello @Jay4,

few notes:

• List includes expensive 40CL latency RAM, 30CL RAM is possible with same Mhz speed and lower price
  • 12400f is okay but there are faster alternatives, especially for gaming, cheapest AM5 processor will run circles around it
  • Cheaper and faster SSD is possible, at same size too
  • 90% of recent gaming CPUs don't require Liquid Cooling, which can save up to 50$ or more
  • Motherboard could be slightly cheaper, especially with AMD AM5 it is easier to find reliable Motherboard if you don't need any special features
  • Cheaper case is possible too, but that's a personal preference
  • If you're looking forward achieving a certain aesthetic, price cuts are still possible regardless

Thank you for the help, Can you go through these 2 build, 1st one is a Intel core and 2nd one is a ryzen, wanted to know if these are good builds for the price range of 1200 and which one is better

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not completely terrible, but you can do a bit better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G6jwCd

Everything is cost optimized in the above build in order to afford a 4070, and you're right at the $1200 budget.

4 hours ago, Middcore said:

Did you already buy the H100 cooler? Added on to what you have it pushes you over your budget. You certainly don't need a cooler like that for a 12400f, anyway. 

You could easily save money by getting a lower-wattage PSU, also. 

1 minute ago, Jay4 said:

I mean, between those two go for the Intel build because it has a better GPU, but neither of these are good. You can get a 4070 in this price range, and the performance difference between a 4060 TI and a 4070 is massive. 

Just go for that build I recommended above. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, between those two go for the Intel build because it has a better GPU, but neither of these are good. You can get a 4070 in this price range, and the performance difference between a 4060 TI and a 4070 is massive. 

Alr thx for the advice 

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Also I have a question, what makes the build bad for the Intel 

7 minutes ago, Jay4 said:

The fact it has a 4060 Ti rather than a 4070. Intel itself is fine, it's just that particular build is not price optimized in the slightest and you're leaving quite a lot of performance on the table. 

If you want to go Intel instead, that's fine, you can get this system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bQJY28

That one has the advantage of being overclockable while also being slightly cheaper, and an overclocked 12400F is usually faster than the AMD equivalent 7600, though the way you have to overclock the 12400F is not the most intuitive method, so unless you already have some overclocking experience I'd still rather the 7600 system from AMD. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The fact it has a 4060 Ti rather than a 4070. Intel itself is fine, it's just that particular build is not price optimized in the slightest and you're leaving quite a lot of performance on the table. 

That one has the advantage of being overclockable while also being slightly cheaper, and an overclocked 12400F is usually faster than the AMD equivalent 7600, though the way you have to overclock the 12400F is not the most intuitive method, so unless you already have some overclocking experience I'd still rather the 7600 system from AMD. 

Again thank you for the recommendation, I changed up that build u linked a bit to how I would like to customize how my pc looks, please take a look at this, and see if it’s just as good as what you linked https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B6JY28

sorry for being stubborn, this is my first pc, and I wanna make it look nice.

14 minutes ago, Jay4 said:

AMD has better single-core performance, as seen in this comparison, Rainbow Six Siege extraction, the comparison uses basically same components and GPU, the difference may be lower on slower GPU but the % will be roughly the same on the AMD's advantage: (note: they use 12600f instead of 12400f and as you can see the AMD simply beats it with ease)

image.thumb.png.5a3d1d241fcbe78bc22d88e965a3f265.png

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Intel might have a slight advantage or same performance at multi-core games and tasks, but the less cores game utilizes, the more likely AMD will come out better.

PC:

PCs I used before:

10 minutes ago, Jay4 said:

Again thank you for the recommendation, I changed up that build u linked a bit to how I would like to customize how my pc looks, please take a look at this, and see if it’s just as good as what you linked https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B6JY28

sorry for being stubborn, this is my first pc, and I wanna make it look nice.

The main thing I wouldn't want to change is that motherboard. The B760M PG Riptide really is the best board you can get for a 12400F system mostly due to its ability to overclock said CPU (it's only of a handful of boards that can, and the only one priced less than $200). The case and cooler are fine swaps if you're willing to spend the extra money, but you really want to keep that board as is. If you want to go for a board you think looks better, I'd move to the AMD system because there the board doesn't matter anywhere near as much. 

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

Intel might have a slight advantage or same performance at multi-core games and tasks, but the less cores game utilizes, the more likely AMD will come out better.

My reasoning behind saying an overclocked 12400F is faster on average than a 7600X is across some different testing methodologies. HardwareUnboxed has shown that it's about a 30% performance uplift in games, and on average the 7600X is only about 5-10% faster than the 12400F using TechPowerUp's testing (those two picked mostly out of convenience, HWU did the testing for overclocked 12400Fs and TPU is much easier to read quickly for everything else). There's outliers in either direction, yes, though on average I would still expect an overclocked 12400F to be the faster of the two. Whether or not that difference is meaningful is up for debate. 

To be clear, I would still recommend the AMD system in most use cases, but not really because it's significantly faster, more because you actually get an upgrade path and better CPUs. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

and less Motherboard headache

PC:

PCs I used before:

34 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Alright I decided to go with ryzen and change the gpu to a 4060 ti, because you can always change them right, so I’ll change to a 4070 in the future, and had to change the motherboard to a WiFi one because I live in a two story house, and can’t have a Ethernet with that, is the 4060 ti worth it instead of a regular 4060, here’s the link to it https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hhyv28

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Alright I decided to go with ryzen and change the gpu to a 4060 ti, because you can always change them right, so I’ll change to a 4070 in the future, and had to change the motherboard to a WiFi one because I live in a two story house, and can’t have a Ethernet with that, is the 4060 ti worth it instead of a regular 4060, here’s the link to it https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hhyv28 Lmk if it’s good