Cone issue is it with speakers or amplifier

Kamranbites
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
7 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

found  one video with my issue but the only difference here is he kept the speakers on full volume also playing some bass song  my speakers I keep at 40-50% and normal music 

We can see clearly the cone surround is getting pressed in not the full cone just some areas like it's denting.

completely normal behavior

I recently purchased new Sony bookshelf speakers rated at 80W RMS 3-way for my Nobsound NS20G 100+100 amplifier. When playing music at low volumes, I noticed that the speaker cones get pressed when beats kick in. I've attached some pictures below.

I'm unsure if this issue is related to the amplifier, the speakers, or a compatibility problem between them. Could anyone offer advice or suggestions on what might be causing this issue? Thank you!"

Screenshot_20240106_133036_com.whatsapp_edit_711207710597206.jpg

What issue? Neither your description nor the picture tells me what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

What issue? Neither your description nor the picture tells me what you are talking about.

In image you can clearly see the cone is getting pressed when it played beats that too on low volume 

9 minutes ago, Kamranbites said:

In image you can clearly see the cone is getting pressed when it played beats that too on low volume 

No, I can't. You highlighted the suspension of the cone in orange. If you wonder why the cone is moving, it's because that's how it reproduces sound. It's a normal phenomenon.

27 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

No, I can't. You highlighted the suspension of the cone in orange. If you wonder why the cone is moving, it's because that's how it reproduces sound. It's a normal phenomenon.

Yes it moves, but it is getting pressed on the suspensions I have marked the area.

Maybe you should post a clip on YouTube because everything you’re saying sounds very normal.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

7 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Maybe you should post a clip on YouTube because everything you’re saying sounds very normal.

found  one video with my issue but the only difference here is he kept the speakers on full volume also playing some bass song  my speakers I keep at 40-50% and normal music 

We can see clearly the cone surround is getting pressed in not the full cone just some areas like it's denting.

7 hours ago, Kamranbites said:

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Thank you 😊

8 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

The surround should not wrinkle. That's generally a sign of exceeding excursion limits, probably because the loudspeaker is used below its tuning frequency.

It's not a defect, but user error.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

Another trade-off for this augmentation is that, at frequencies below the vent tuning frequency, the port unloads the cone and allows it to move with very large displacements. This means the speaker can be driven past its safe mechanical operating limits at frequencies below the tuning frequency with much less power than in an equivalently-sized sealed enclosure. For this reason, high-powered systems using a bass reflex design are often protected by a high-pass filter that removes signals below the vent tuning frequency. Unfortunately, electrical filtering adds further frequency-dependent group delay. Even if such filtering can be adjusted not to remove musical content, it may interfere with sonic information connected with the size and ambiance of the recording location or venue, information that often exists in the low bass spectrum.[17][18]

(For this reason, high-powered systems using a bass reflex design are often protected by a high-pass filter that removes signals below the vent tuning frequency.)

They should be protected by low pass filters right?

Screenshot_20240107_153313.jpg

8 minutes ago, Kamranbites said:

They should be protected by low pass filters right?

No, a high-pass filter. The tuning frequency of bookshelf speakers is generally somewhere in the 50 to 80 Hz range. So you want to filter anything below their tuning frequency out of the signal.

Generally you don't need a filter, if you are just sensible. Such small speakers cannot handle huge amounts of bass. Decreasing the volume or turning down the bass does the very same thing as a high-pass filter.

They are 6.5 inch speakers  and regarding bass as I have informed on low volumes too The surround wrinkle. Wrinkle on high volumes is understandable but on low volume 30-50% if it wrinkles its not normal right? 

That's the reason my dought went to amplifier or maybe wrinkling is normal 

But as you said wrinkling is bad 

So what's left now?

46 minutes ago, Kamranbites said:

They are 6.5 inch speakers  and regarding bass as I have informed on low volumes too The surround wrinkle. Wrinkle on high volumes is understandable but on low volume 30-50% if it wrinkles its not normal right? 

Two things happen when you play sounds below the tuning frequency of the speaker:

- you don't hear much sound

- the excursion is way higher

It's not about general volume, it's about the volume of bass. If there is noticeable wrinkling and movement of the speaker - despite anything you are saying - that's not "low volume". I can guarantee you, you are not playing in volume if the surround is wrinkling.

The solution is very simple. Reduce the volume (of bass) or get a subwoofer with a crossover, which will and can handle the low frequencies.

Can't reduce bass as my amplifier is tda3116, it just has volume nob