Help Buying an OLED!

Good afternoon! I'm in the market for a 65" OLED. The LG C3 seems like a reasonable option, but I'm struggling to effectively compare it to not just Samsung and Sony but other options within its own lineup as well. The LG G3 is about $1k more, but it seems to have all the same features?

I don't really have a budget max, but I'm not thrilled about spending more than ~$2k. I will if there's a compelling feature set. I tend to keep TVs for a long time - my current TV has been in service for ~15 years, so longevity is important. (I know burn in is a thing with OLEDs and they may not last that long - It's a risk I'm begrudgingly willing to take for the contrast, etc benefits.)

Lastly, this will primarily be for watching movies - I don't really watch tv, sports, or play video games on my tvs.

Any suggestions/thoughts to help guide me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

X

I own a 42" C2 and just setup a 65" C3 at my parents place. It was $1600 out the door. 

The Sony's at our Best Buy, the A75L and A80L OLED's are 55" for the same price so I'm not sure where you're seeing 65" Sony OLED's for $1000 less than the C3. 

I won't buy anything but OLED for TV's and now PC monitors, its just too good. If you plan to leave it playing the news 24/7, buy something else. Otherwise its fine. If you're on a budget, the HiSense U8K is LCD based and $1100 for 65" and its bloody fantastic for what it is. 

I think you misread - C3 is $1600 and G3 is $2600. I'm struggling to understand what you get for the extra for $1000. Really just looking for help decoding the marketing within and between brands. And, any resources that can help me understand long-term reliability would be great too.

Thanks,

X

6 minutes ago, Exentrick said:

I think you misread - C3 is $1600 and G3 is $2600. I'm struggling to understand what you get for the extra for $1000. Really just looking for help decoding the marketing within and between brands. And, any resources that can help me understand long-term reliability would be great too.

Thanks,

X

If you're in a bright room most of the time with no way to manage light, the MLA panel of the G series might help. Otherwise its a form factor thing. G series need to be wall mounted while the C series comes on a stand (can still be wall mounted). 

LG 2023 OLED TVs | [H]ard|Forum

12 minutes ago, Exentrick said:

Thanks,

X

c3 is mid range oled. the g3 is high end oled with mla (Micro Lens Array)., brighter screen because of mla. thats why its a 1000 more
sorry remembered the g4 and c4 chip confused it with the c3 and g3

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

If you're in a bright room most of the time with no way to manage light, the MLA panel of the G series might help. Otherwise its a form factor thing. G series need to be wall mounted while the C series comes on a stand (can still be wall mounted). 

-snip-

RTings has a comparison that says about the same: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c3-oled-vs-lg-g3-oled/37848/37849?usage=1&threshold=0.10. The G model is technically brighter but they say the difference isn't very noticeable, and it can be mounted completely flush to a wall (but also must be wall mounted as you noted). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

For context, this years lineup. I can't recall if the 2023 models are the same regarding the warranty length for the G series. :

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

For context, this years lineup. I can't recall if the 2023 models are the same regarding the warranty length for the G series. :

yea this year c4 and up look really good

8 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

The G model is technically brighter but they say the difference isn't very noticeable

Yeah, in a perfectly light controlled room my C2 burns my damn eye's as it is with HDR content. I really don't need anything brighter. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah, in a perfectly light controlled room my C2 burns my damn eye's as it is with HDR content. I really don't need anything brighter. 

yea thats one thing im on the fence about...oh you need 1000 nit for true hdr. but damn THATS BRIGHT AS HELL

Thanks. Very helpful information. Given my room layout, the TV cannot be wall mounted, so that makes the decision a little easier!

Any thoughts on Samsung? Their lineup seems even more confusing.

I'll spend some time on rtings.com - I had looked at their ratings matrix, but everything was in like 0.1 or 0.2 of each other within the OLED space, so it's hard for a relative lay person how impactful some of these differences are (Or aren't).

Thanks again,

X

1 minute ago, Exentrick said:

Thanks. Very helpful information. Given my room layout, the TV cannot be wall mounted, so that makes the decision a little easier!

Any thoughts on Samsung? Their lineup seems even more confusing.

I'll spend some time on rtings.com - I had looked at their ratings matrix, but everything was in like 0.1 or 0.2 of each other within the OLED space, so it's hard for a relative lay person how impactful some of these differences are (Or aren't).

Thanks again,

X

Use the drop down here to compare. Keep the C3 on the left as a control and pick from the list on the right. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c3-oled-vs-lg-g3-oled/37848/37849?usage=1&threshold=0.10

image.png.6bd11875a8e766cb50c57f05c1590788.png

Honestly, if you've been 15 years out of the market you'll be blown away with even the basic LG OLED TV.  If you can control light in the room (shades/blinds) then you probably don't need to spend the $$ on the brighter OLED options.  I upgraded from a 1080p Sony LED 42" to a OLED65B6P  back in 2017 and my only regret is not getting it sooner.  Colors and blacks will blow you away on OLED and the current lineup comes with good mitigation for burn in.  Unless you just love to keep CNN playing in the backround you'll be good.

But I'm just talking out my ass.