Windows suddenly and without input decided to update my AMD GPU driver?

Si3Rra_7

This has never happened before, whether back when i had a GTX 1070, and now that i have a RX 7800xt. I have all automatic updates turned off. 

Suddenly my monitors went dark and and my videos i was watching stopped. I reckoned it was a driver update because it looked exactly as when i do them manually.

image.png.5a5d1717d33c3c8d01dcda1ffa3748dd.png

image.png.5e357fed0dc4396c45ab5597a82f4d59.png

What the actual fuck Windows. It's definitely something i didn't want and something i don't want to happen EVER AGAIN. 

And it installed this weird 23.20.30 version? Pretty sure i was on 23.11 before, and latest on AMD's website is 23.12.1. What even is this version? 

is this win10 or win11?

win10 has a habit of replacing your outdated GPU drivers with whatever is WHQL.

use AME if you dont want the gpu drivers to update , my gpu driver is like 3 years old.

1 hour ago, Si3Rra_7 said:

This has never happened before, whether back when i had a GTX 1070, and now that i have a RX 7800xt. I have all automatic updates turned off. 

Suddenly my monitors went dark and and my videos i was watching stopped. I reckoned it was a driver update because it looked exactly as when i do them manually.

What the actual fuck Windows. It's definitely something i didn't want and something i don't want to happen EVER AGAIN. 

And it installed this weird 23.20.30 version? Pretty sure i was on 23.11 before, and latest on AMD's website is 23.12.1. What even is this version? 

There has to be traces left of the Nvidia software for Windows to even do that. 

Same issue here, and my computer never saw an nVidia card, so that's an unlikely cause.

Indeed Windows Update installed that driver today. Will reinstall latest AMD-provided driver now, and see what happens.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:56 PM, Si3Rra_7 said:

windows has always done that.... [in certain conditions] 

way to avoid this is disable updates altogether.  which means remove a cute little app service called "update orchestrator". 🙂

On 1/5/2024 at 12:33 AM, BillBill said:

why? an AMD driver has been installed.  😉

Windows decided to update my AMD GPU driver

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/5/2024 at 1:33 AM, BillBill said:

On 1/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, Robchil said:

Use DDU and remove both nvidia and amd drivers ... then install the version you want installed. 

On 1/6/2024 at 2:53 PM, Mark Kaine said:

windows has always done that.... [in certain conditions] 

way to avoid this is disable updates altogether.  which means remove a cute little app service called "update orchestrator". 🙂

why? an AMD driver has been installed.  😉

sorry for the late reply. 

I did use DDU properly, in safe mode etc etc.