Design for a stand/support for PC cases to aid in PC building/maintenance

I am a college student in the UK studying A-level Design Engineering, and for my course we are required to design and manufacture a prototype of a design solution for a problem.

PC building, repair and maintenance comes with many challenges and I have a few ideas about potential projects to aid in this, if someone with experience building many PCs over the years will give me some useful advice and feedback. Although nothing is set in stone just yet, my main idea is a stand/support for a computer case that allows you to move it in various positions without scratching or bumping delicate components, and storage for tools and tempered glass side-panels. As my ideas improve and the project progresses, I will be able to provide information in manufacturing processes required, materials, design sketches and even 3D models in CAD, with which some help would be invaluable.

I have of course built computer related projects in the past, and I have passion for PC building and am very interested in innovative and unique designs of computing products.

Obviously, this is a forum full of experienced PC veterans so I would be very grateful for some input on how to perhaps go forward with making your PC building endeavours easier!

Personally, the only thing that would kinda help my PC building station would be effectively a Lazy Susan (don't know if they're called that in the UK or not, that's the US expression for one) that's big enough to set a decent size PC case on to spin between the front and back with ease. One of those probably exists, but I build computers just infrequently enough to forget to look for one between major builds. Otherwise a simple desk is all that's needed with screw drivers on the side. 

14 minutes ago, verylargetortoise said:

I am a college student in the UK studying A-level Design Engineering, and for my course we are required to design and manufacture a prototype of a design solution for a problem.

PC building, repair and maintenance comes with many challenges and I have a few ideas about potential projects to aid in this, if someone with experience building many PCs over the years will give me some useful advice and feedback. Although nothing is set in stone just yet, my main idea is a stand/support for a computer case that allows you to move it in various positions without scratching or bumping delicate components, and storage for tools and tempered glass side-panels. As my ideas improve and the project progresses, I will be able to provide information in manufacturing processes required, materials, design sketches and even 3D models in CAD, with which some help would be invaluable.

I have of course built computer related projects in the past, and I have passion for PC building and am very interested in innovative and unique designs of computing products.

Obviously, this is a forum full of experienced PC veterans so I would be very grateful for some input on how to perhaps go forward with making your PC building endeavours easier!

Something of note, I don't see a declaration of a specific problem which I imagine is a requirement for the program.

I would say an interesting problem to use for a computer would be to design modular ducting for internal components, something like a kit you could buy that would allow for component ducting in various configurations. The problem being that most computer's internal airflow is very inefficient.

Something I've thought about for years that Optimum Tech actually did, if you're curious for results.

The problem being that these are custom measured and 3D printed parts versus something modular. If something modular is even 60% effective compared to this solution, it would still be worth it. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Personally, the only thing that would kinda help my PC building station would be effectively a Lazy Susan (don't know if they're called that in the UK or not, that's the US expression for one) that's big enough to set a decent size PC case on to spin between the front and back with ease. One of those probably exists, but I build computers just infrequently enough to forget to look for one between major builds. Otherwise a simple desk is all that's needed with screw drivers on the side. 

Also the fact that there's cables attached to it, so being able to free spin a PC wouldn't be the best idea, unless its limited to 359 degrees of rotation.

Just now, Agall said:

Also the fact that there's cables attached to it, so being able to free spin a PC wouldn't be the best idea, unless its limited to 359 degrees of rotation.

Don't know about you, but when I'm building the PC itself, nothing is plugged into it. The constant spinning around would be for running PSU/SATA/Fan/RGB cables, not while troubleshooting the system or anything like that. 

I'm interpreting the question as a place to specifically build computers, not like a place to build them and then to use said computer at the same time. For something like that, yeah, you need a rotation limiter to prevent the system from getting tangled. 

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ikea lazy susan + a bigger piece of wood and done 😛

Did it for my cake making as the lazy susan wasn't always big enough so now I have a 50,60, 75 and 100cm plate total was like 70€.

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

Something of note, I don't see a declaration of a specific problem which I imagine is a requirement for the program.

I would say an interesting problem to use for a computer would be to design modular ducting for internal components, something like a kit you could buy that would allow for component ducting in various configurations. The problem being that most computer's internal airflow is very inefficient.

Something I've thought about for years that Optimum Tech actually did, if you're curious for results.

The problem being that these are custom measured and 3D printed parts versus something modular. If something modular is even 60% effective compared to this solution, it would still be worth it. 

Okay, I will definitely have a look at that, thanks for the idea!

I wasn't very clear before, my original "Problem" was that PC cases are generally quite heavy and lifting them up to move them on a desk runs the risk of dropping and damaging the case or components inside. A secure stand would maybe help younger builders? When I had the idea I had in mind a workstand I have for my bike, similar to the picture I attached

picture.jpg

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What about a lazy susan type of thing, plus some kind of vertical movement of the PC case?

8 minutes ago, verylargetortoise said:

Okay, I will definitely have a look at that, thanks for the idea!

I wasn't very clear before, my original "Problem" was that PC cases are generally quite heavy and lifting them up to move them on a desk runs the risk of dropping and damaging the case or components inside. A secure stand would maybe help younger builders? When I had the idea I had in mind a workstand I have for my bike, similar to the picture I attached

In that case, I'm not sure since I personally don't find computers all that heavy. It doesn't help that I've lifted for a few years now and my gauge on what's heavy isn't realistic anymore (before I had some military service-related injuries). 

What does come to mind though is a board that someone could use loosely designed like this:

*side view*

image.png.ff56168967776442f10f58a5476e2150.png

*Disclaimer* I'm not an artist.

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't know about you, but when I'm building the PC itself, nothing is plugged into it. The constant spinning around would be for running PSU/SATA/Fan/RGB cables, not while troubleshooting the system or anything like that. 

I'm interpreting the question as a place to specifically build computers, not like a place to build them and then to use said computer at the same time. For something like that, yeah, you need a rotation limiter to prevent the system from getting tangled. 

I see, that makes more sense.

Potentially a whole platform or table then since storing side panels is always a problem. I'm probably not alone in the problem of any case, having to just stick the side panels somewhere.

@verylargetortoise The idea that comes to mind is to take one of those folding TV dinner tables and make a custom top for it (or attach to it) that uses a lazy susan style rotatable top. The side panels can be stored underneath by either clipping to the sides or design a section underneath where they can hang. Storage can come in a set of hanging bags or little sliding drawers apart of the base. You'd only need the center of the upgraded table top to house the lazy susan style mechanism, so the remaining can be drawers.

2 minutes ago, verylargetortoise said:

What about a lazy susan type of thing, plus some kind of vertical movement of the PC case?

The vertical movement wouldn't really be necessary for me. If I need to be working down low, I can sit down, if I need to work on the top of the system, I can stand up, and if I need to move it, they're not really all that heavy (I think the heaviest systems I've built were in the neighborhood of 30lbs/20kg, so while that's not exactly light, it's far from what I'd consider heavy). If you did want to add some vertical movement, a standing desk is probably the way to go about it, not so much a crane type thing as you were alluding to above. 

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

The idea that comes to mind is to take one of those folding TV dinner tables and make a custom top for it (or attach to it) that uses a lazy susan style rotatable top. The side panels can be stored underneath by either clipping to the sides or design a section underneath where they can hang.

This is probably the way to go about it. The only thing I'd change is the folding TV dinner tables, maybe make the platform a little bigger and widen the base out, as those things are not very stable when you put a system on it (I've tried before, it feels like with a wrong move the entire thing will come falling down). Maybe a standard folding table size, where one half has the lazy susan on it and the other half is for storing tools and parts on?

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The vertical movement wouldn't really be necessary for me. If I need to be working down low, I can sit down, if I need to work on the top of the system, I can stand up, and if I need to move it, they're not really all that heavy (I think the heaviest systems I've built were in the neighborhood of 30lbs/20kg, so while that's not exactly light, it's far from what I'd consider heavy). If you did want to add some vertical movement, a standing desk is probably the way to go about it, not so much a crane type thing as you were alluding to above. 

This is probably the way to go about it. The only thing I'd change is the folding TV dinner tables, maybe make the platform a little bigger and widen the base out, as those things are not very stable when you put a system on it (I've tried before, it feels like with a wrong move the entire thing will come falling down). Maybe a standard folding table size, where one half has the lazy susan on it and the other half is for storing tools and parts on?

Way back in middle school, the PLTW program I was in during a summer coarse, we built folding TV dinner tables but the top would fold in half. It provided a convenient carrying handle in its design but wouldn't really fit in this scenario. The example is providing some of the versatility of the folding design that I think could be adapted with some effort. (PS, I still have that folding table after all these years)

In light of your suggestion, it would definitely need a wide base and would be more square of a top than rectangular. It would also provide substantially more carrying capacity since the design otherwise might not support the +50lbs a computer can get to (without tipping over easily, that is).

On 1/3/2024 at 10:37 PM, Agall said:

Way back in middle school, the PLTW program I was in during a summer coarse, we built folding TV dinner tables but the top would fold in half. It provided a convenient carrying handle in its design but wouldn't really fit in this scenario. The example is providing some of the versatility of the folding design that I think could be adapted with some effort. (PS, I still have that folding table after all these years)

In light of your suggestion, it would definitely need a wide base and would be more square of a top than rectangular. It would also provide substantially more carrying capacity since the design otherwise might not support the +50lbs a computer can get to (without tipping over easily, that is).

Would it be possible for you to send a picture of the folding table? Thanks

On 1/4/2024 at 3:49 PM, verylargetortoise said:

Would it be possible for you to send a picture of the folding table? Thanks

Don't think a picture could demonstrate how it operates, its not simple, to put it lightly. The table top is split between each leg, so it pivots at the center connection and at the top, each half of the table top resting on the arms of the opposite side.