Android - Security Updates - Feeling Comfortable

ccnow

I've recently switched back from iOS to Android and picked up a Motorola RAZR 40. This device on paper is my ideal hardware, and I'm really enjoying it. I want to be clear that I'm not looking to start an iOS vs Android debate here - personally I think both of them are excellent operating systems with strengths and weaknesses between them.

Here's the thing though:

I think one of the strongest points of Android is the diversity of devices specifically in the midrange market. If you know which features are and are not important to you, there's likely a device that will fit your needs near perfectly for ~$500 or less.

Now, on the other hand I think one of the biggest weak points in Android is the software updates, and this is particularly true in the midrange market. Companies like Motorola, OnePlus, Xiaomi, and the rest put out some really neat devices that hit great niches, but the updates...particularly the security updates...are slowwwww.

So my question then I guess is more psychological than anything else - how does everyone feel "calm" about this sort of thing? How does someone use midrange devices without worrying that Motorola pushed the November security patches a month after Google released them? One could argue that the right answer is to buy a highly supported flagship, but many people don't - and honestly that feels like the most boring way to go about using Android (sort of min-maxing I guess) when all these exciting interesting midrange devices exist that likely meet your needs perfectly on paper.

2 minutes ago, ccnow said:

So my question then I guess is more psychological than anything else - how does everyone feel "calm" about this sort of thing?

I get pixel phones. Which I know is antithetical to your point, but I don't think there is a way around it. the pixel 6a is $349 and has security updates through mid 2027.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Getting hacked via a security flaw in Android is like being struck by lightning. Not a day-to-day concern in my mind, at all.

47 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

I get pixel phones. Which I know is antithetical to your point, but I don't think there is a way around it. the pixel 6a is $349 and has security updates through mid 2027.

It is antithetical to my point, but certainly not off topic. I am considering getting a candybar style phone for situations where the RAZR is less than ideal, for instance if I'm going to be in a mosh pit - might not be the best place for a foldable, haha. I'm a bit torn between the Pixel 6a and the Nord N30 5G for that role.

31 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

Getting hacked via a security flaw in Android is like being struck by lightning. Not a day-to-day concern in my mind, at all.

I do understand that, but it still just bothers me that it's an actual issue we're still dealing with in 2023. Maybe the solution really is that simple though.

58 minutes ago, ccnow said:

I've recently switched back from iOS to Android and picked up a Motorola RAZR 40. This device on paper is my ideal hardware, and I'm really enjoying it. I want to be clear that I'm not looking to start an iOS vs Android debate here - personally I think both of them are excellent operating systems with strengths and weaknesses between them.

Here's the thing though:

I think one of the strongest points of Android is the diversity of devices specifically in the midrange market. If you know which features are and are not important to you, there's likely a device that will fit your needs near perfectly for ~$500 or less.

Now, on the other hand I think one of the biggest weak points in Android is the software updates, and this is particularly true in the midrange market. Companies like Motorola, OnePlus, Xiaomi, and the rest put out some really neat devices that hit great niches, but the updates...particularly the security updates...are slowwwww.

So my question then I guess is more psychological than anything else - how does everyone feel "calm" about this sort of thing? How does someone use midrange devices without worrying that Motorola pushed the November security patches a month after Google released them? One could argue that the right answer is to buy a highly supported flagship, but many people don't - and honestly that feels like the most boring way to go about using Android (sort of min-maxing I guess) when all these exciting interesting midrange devices exist that likely meet your needs perfectly on paper.

I don't think there's an easy answer here, unfortunately. Android vendors are getting better at long-term support, including mid-tier champs like Moto and OnePlus, but the truth remains that Google and Samsung are the go-tos if you expect timely updates over a long period.

It's true that you're very unlikely to fall victim to a breach stemming from an outdated OS release. Don't worry too much if your phone is reasonably late to an update. However, we shouldn't assume that an attack won't happen just because it hasn't. Just ask Windows XP users what it was like when the Blaster worm basically up-ended OS security expectations. And while Android isn't as dependent on major OS revisions for features as iOS is, I'm not a fan of vendors that drop all major upgrades after two to three years... you shouldn't have to replace your phone that quickly just to keep up with OS-level features.

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

you shouldn't have to replace your phone that quickly just to keep up with OS-level features.

Ain't that the truth friend.

To echo what others have said a bit; part of what I look for ik a device is longer term (and timely) first part support. Does that mean I have to limit my choices (i.e., Samsung/Google)? Yes. But that is a trade off I am willing to make, personally, since it does remove that concern about updates. 

I also view updates as part of the cost of some of these higher end devices.

For example, the Asus Zenphone 10 has amazing hardware at a very attractive price; however their software support just ain't it. It's what keeps me paying for pixel flagships every time I upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, NavyCobra1417 said:

To echo what others have said a bit; part of what I look for ik a device is longer term (and timely) first part support. Does that mean I have to limit my choices (i.e., Samsung/Google)? Yes. But that is a trade off I am willing to make, personally, since it does remove that concern about updates. 

I also view updates as part of the cost of some of these higher end devices.

For example, the Asus Zenphone 10 has amazing hardware at a very attractive price; however their software support just ain't it. It's what keeps me paying for pixel flagships every time I upgrade. 

That's the heartbreaking reality isn't it.

I guess it's looking like the real way is to just live somewhere in the middle and worry about it a little less.

7 minutes ago, ccnow said:

That's the heartbreaking reality isn't it.

I guess it's looking like the real way is to just live somewhere in the middle and worry about it a little less.

That attitude would certainly remove a lot of stress and worry. Wish I could take the same approach haha

If your are going to look at the Nord N30 5G, look further into the One+ line. The second  to the last release phones become the mid-range phones, i.e. current model @ is 1+ 12, new midrange becomes 1+ 10 5G or whatever, 1+ 9 5G or whatever, etc.
I believe that holds the same for most that don't have dedicated mid-range line. 
Just a suggestion.