LTT incorrectly declaring value of items on CN23 - Best way to proceed?

Joshyy

Received my LTT Black Friday order today in the UK. Purchase total of $169.92. (Plus $34.00 of tax)

However it has been declared incorrectly as $230.4172, incurring VAT & passing the threshold import duty, alongside £12 for the couriers trouble. 

Which angle do you think I’m best taking here? I can either try and claim back the money from customs, but I’m worried they’ll only care about what LTT declared on the CN23 or will LTT refund this?

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I paid $40 tax on my $35 hoodie purchase thanks to this also. They just dont care.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

To me that declaration figure should be CAD instead of USD. That way the figures work out. 

Customs will usually allow you to dispute this value declaration. To do so, you'll need some kind of proof of the goods' actual value. The receipt you were given at the time of purchase can be used for that.

If that doesn't work, pay the tax anyway and then send a message to support. We'll find a different way to make you whole.

Apologies for the issue here; it goes without saying that this is unintentional (it's in our best interest for the declaration value to be as low as it legally can be, as is the case for you). Looking into it now.

Customer Service Supervisor; lttstore.com

Need help with an lttstore order? Contact us or check out our FAQ here.

Trust me bro

36 minutes ago, Adam Pilolla said:

Customs will usually allow you to dispute this value declaration. To do so, you'll need some kind of proof of the goods' actual value. The receipt you were given at the time of purchase can be used for that.

If that doesn't work, pay the tax anyway and then send a message to support. We'll find a different way to make you whole.

Apologies for the issue here; it goes without saying that this is unintentional (it's in our best interest for the declaration value to be as low as it legally can be, as is the case for you). Looking into it now.

Thanks, I have found the form from customs (BOR286) that will let me dispute this. I'll post it off tomorrow. Because it's pen and paper only, I suspect it may be a few weeks before I hear anything back. I've paid the fee and collected the parcel, lest they send it back.

I will update this thread if I hear back; and contact LTT Support if border force aren't interested!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates yet?

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

On 1/18/2024 at 2:11 AM, djksm said:

Any updates yet?

Nothing yet, still waiting for a response from the Border Force.. It's all snail mail.

54 minutes ago, Joshyy said:

Nothing yet, still waiting for a response from the Border Force.. It's all snail mail.

oh ok lol 

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

On 1/3/2024 at 1:57 PM, Joshyy said:

Which angle do you think I’m best taking here? I can either try and claim back the money from customs, but I’m worried they’ll only care about what LTT declared on the CN23 or will LTT refund this?

IMG_0817.jpeg

Unsurpsisingly HMRC have I think f**ked up, as I understand it, Unless I am miss understanding they should have only charged vat/duty on the amount/s above £135, in this case £47.

This is why I have never bought anything from LMG or internationaly in general. If the item develops a fault, you will again be charged vat/duty for the replacement item coming back to you. So for UK customers it is utterly pointless to be buying anything from US based YTr's unless the item including shipping & insurance is under £135. So this is just one of many reasons I would never buy the LMG backpack.

A friend sent me a gift from the US some years ago and insured it for $600. Hmrc at the time tried charging me £80, I got this back from them by getting an email from said friend stating what the value actually was. Hmrc then begrudingly refunded me my £80, cnuts. Brexit has made this situation much worse.

But more info on buying items from abroad, looks like LMG need to register for vat in the UK if they are selling to UK customers (https://www.icaew.com/insights/tax-news/2020/july-2020/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-imported-goods) - But I strongly suspect LMG have not and will not be doing this, but you can always ask for a refund from them for the VAT.

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

11 hours ago, b1k3rdude said:

Unsurpsisingly HMRC have I think f**ked up, as I understand it, Unless I am miss understanding they should have only charged vat/duty on the amount/s above £135, in this case £47.

This is why I have never bought anything from LMG or internationaly in general. If the item develops a fault, you will again be charged vat/duty for the replacement item coming back to you. So for UK customers it is utterly pointless to be buying anything from US based YTr's unless the item including shipping & insurance is under £135. So this is just one of many reasons I would never buy the LMG backpack.

A friend sent me a gift from the US some years ago and insured it for $600. Hmrc at the time tried charging me £80, I got this back from them by getting an email from said friend stating what the value actually was. Hmrc then begrudingly refunded me my £80, cnuts. Brexit has made this situation much worse.

But more info on buying items from abroad, looks like LMG need to register for vat in the UK if they are selling to UK customers (https://www.icaew.com/insights/tax-news/2020/july-2020/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-imported-goods) - But I strongly suspect LMG have not and will not be doing this, but you can always ask for a refund from them for the VAT.

LMG are registered to collect VAT as per the 20% on the LMG receipt of $34. As some suggested it looks like someone crossed USD and CAD over somewhere, probably MIBC who completed the customs label

Finally got a letter today back from the Border Force confirming a full refund on import duties & VAT owed. Minus the £12 paid to Royal Mail for them to process the original import duties & VAT, and the cost of a stamp to send the claim in.  Overall a successful outcome. An additional £12 down is still a great saving on the Black Friday deals!

For anyone else who has this issue, send the requested items on this form to the address listed.

image.thumb.jpeg.71d376101b283651bf8a2eb9c867b5d8.jpeg

On 1/26/2024 at 8:17 PM, Joshyy said:

Finally got a letter today back from the Border Force confirming a full refund on import duties & VAT owed. Minus the £12 paid to Royal Mail for them to process the original import duties & VAT, and the cost of a stamp to send the claim in.  Overall a successful outcome. An additional £12 down is still a great saving on the Black Friday deals!

For anyone else who has this issue, send the requested items on this form to the address listed.

image.thumb.jpeg.71d376101b283651bf8a2eb9c867b5d8.jpeg

Interesting to know 💡 thnx

🔸 Intel i7 6700k 🔸 ASUS Z170-A 🔸 64GB HyperX Fury 🔸 GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G 🔸