I'm experiencing very low fps on a newly built, higher-end machine; Any solutions?

Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,
5 minutes ago, Griarsome said:

Hi there,

I recently built a custom PC and am experiencing very low frame rates (even lower than my old machine) in all of the games I play. My new PC has a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, an Asus (TUF) branded RTX 4070, 16GB of DDR5 RAM, an X670E AUROS MASTER motherboard, and all the games are installed on a 2TB SSD. I ran Minecraft at normal settings and was getting around 10 fps in the main menu, and 5 fps actually playing. I also ran BeamNG.drive at normal settings and was getting around 20 - 25 fps. The CPU usage was around 25 - 30%, the RAM usage was around 30 - 35%, and the GPU usage was around 20 - 30% on both games. Both of these fps stats are far worse than my old PC which had a 9th gen Intel i5 and a GTX 1660, getting 100 - 120 fps on Minecraft and 130 - 135 fps on BeamNG.drive. I really need to fix this, as I use my computers for a lot of things. Does anyone know of any common solutions that I could do to fix this? If more context is needed, I'll be happy to provide it.

You need to fresh install windows if you just migrated everything.

Also it sounds like you plugged in the IGPU instead of the GPU. Can you show us that you actually plugged in the display to the GPU? 

Install chipset drivers from AMD's website. Also make sure the BIOS is the most up to date.

Hi there,

I recently built a custom PC and am experiencing very low frame rates (even lower than my old machine) in all of the games I play. My new PC has a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, an Asus (TUF) branded RTX 4070, 16GB of DDR5 RAM, an X670E AUROS MASTER motherboard, and all the games are installed on a 2TB SSD. I ran Minecraft at normal settings and was getting around 10 fps in the main menu, and 5 fps actually playing. I also ran BeamNG.drive at normal settings and was getting around 20 - 25 fps. The CPU usage was around 25 - 30%, the RAM usage was around 30 - 35%, and the GPU usage was around 20 - 30% on both games. Both of these fps stats are far worse than my old PC which had a 9th gen Intel i5 and a GTX 1660, getting 100 - 120 fps on Minecraft and 130 - 135 fps on BeamNG.drive. I really need to fix this, as I use my computers for a lot of things. Does anyone know of any common solutions that I could do to fix this? If more context is needed, I'll be happy to provide it.

did you install any of the drivers for the machine or not

I don't think so, not unless they were installed automatically in the Windows setup or something.

5 minutes ago, Griarsome said:

Hi there,

Also it sounds like you plugged in the IGPU instead of the GPU. Can you show us that you actually plugged in the display to the GPU? 

Install chipset drivers from AMD's website. Also make sure the BIOS is the most up to date.

I haven't really moved any data, however I used a Micro SD adapter to manually transfer a few photos. I can take a picture of my PC connections and post it if that helps.

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Installing the drivers worked, can't believe I hadn't done that yet. Thanks for the help!