New ram same fps?

CBanksy

2x16gb 4000mhz from 2x8gb 2400mhz

Gtx 1080ti 

I got new ram in the hope I would be able to get more FPS as I'm stuck on around 200 current in overwatch.

My friend has a very similar setup

4x8gb 3200mhz 

Gtx 1060

And manages to get 300+ consistently 

I can't see anything bottle necking (nothing redlining and I'm at a loss on what I need to check)

I've reinstalled windows changed drivers etc 

7 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

I got new ram in the hope I would be able to get more FPS as I'm stuck on around 200 current in overwatch.

Upgrading RAM is unlikely to do much of anything for your performance (maybe a few percent), unless you know for a fact RAM is the limiting factor and e.g. causing the CPU to underperform.

Are you sure Overwatch is running with the same settings (details + resolution) on both machines?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

18 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

2x16gb 4000mhz from 2x8gb 2400mhz

Gtx 1080ti 

My friend has a very similar setup

4x8gb 3200mhz 

Gtx 1060

And manages to get 300+ consistently 

I can't see anything bottle necking (nothing redlining and I'm at a loss on what I need to check)

I've reinstalled windows changed drivers etc 

Your friend has a way weaker GPU but a faster CPU, so I suspect you have a huge CPU bottleneck

RAM only give +/- 5% difference at best 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Overwatch is at its lowest settings  for both I've been told that it is a very 'ram intensive' game and when we have swapped the ram out my friend does get an increase in performance but it is definitely being held back by their gpu

9 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

Overwatch is at its lowest settings  for both I've been told that it is a very 'ram intensive' game and when we have swapped the ram out my friend does get an increase in performance but it is definitely being held back by their gpu

He is less held up by his GPU than you are by your CPU 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

As @PDifolco said, you're more likely bound by CPU performance than RAM. Faster RAM might give you maybe 5% more fps, but 200 to 300 fps is a 50% performance difference. Have you checked GPU usage in game with e.g. MSI Afterburner?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

32 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

4x8gb 3200mhz 

8086k clocks higher than the 8700k

Dual rank > single rank so i suspect that 3200 4x8 kit is either just as fast if not faster than your 4000 kit

32 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

2x16gb 4000mhz

Also you got ripped off

If performance rams is what you desire than ditch this single rank kit for a kit of 2x16 hma82gu6djr8n dual rank sticks which come in 2666-3200 jedec bins, run at ~4400 or whatevers the fastest speed your imc is capable of at 1.45v vccsa/io, manual tuning will always crush xmp and is unavoidable if you want performance rams, otherwise 3200c16/3600c18 xmp will usually be sufficient and get you 80% of the way there in terms of performance

doesnt mean that it isnt salvegable but its not ideal due to being single rank

11 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

What happens if you put your friends ram in your system?

id also try a fresh windows install to make sure it isnt just your os, can be a diffrerent drive or you can use your current drive and make a seperate 50-100gb partition for the fresh windows install and overwatch

Both GPU around like 60-70% utilisation 

CPU isn't even at 50% with game MSI afterburner and chrome in background 

No individual core is spiking either

33 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

8086k clocks higher than the 8700k

Dual rank > single rank so i suspect that 3200 4x8 kit is either just as fast if not faster than your 4000 kit

Also you got ripped off

If performance rams is what you desire than ditch this single rank kit for a kit of 2x16 hma82gu6djr8n dual rank sticks which come in 2666-3200 jedec bins, run at ~4400 or whatevers the fastest speed your imc is capable of at 1.45v vccsa/io, manual tuning will always crush xmp and is unavoidable if you want performance rams, otherwise 3200c16/3600c18 xmp will usually be sufficient and get you 80% of the way there in terms of performance

doesnt mean that it isnt salvegable but its not ideal due to being single rank

What happens if you put your friends ram in your system?

id also try a fresh windows install to make sure it isnt just your os, can be a diffrerent drive or you can use your current drive and make a seperate 50-100gb partition for the fresh windows install and overwatch

Did CPU stress test and blue screens a minute in all default settings

different ram doesn't change anything 

Assume CPU is dud?

19 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

Did CPU stress test and blue screens a minute in all default settings

different ram doesn't change anything 

Assume CPU is dud?

Yea theres something wrong there

Use prime95 largeffts

Set cpu core ratio to 40 and vcore to 1.25v to ensure cpu stability

Ram instability can leak into cpu stresstests so i suspect its rams especially if vccsa/io is set too low