How can I use Wake on LAN?

iGPR3
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
29 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

I tried waking it with my PC from sleep mode, and it worked, but not powered off. Is there a way to make it work with it being completely powered off? 

some bios setting, most likely.

if i'm having to guess, you've enabled wake on lan, but not wake from S5. (S5 = fully shut down, S3 = sleep mode)

Hi, I have a server that I’m planning to install Ubuntu to (its just my old PC hardware that currently runs Win 10, I’m going to switch over once I’m familiar with it). How would I go about using WOL to power on my server with AnyDesk? The server’s BIOS has it turned on, my network adapter in device manager has it turned on, and so does AnyDesk. 

Is there a way I could use my phone to just power it on? Or do I need a device with a wired connection to send a magic packet? If anyone can help, could you please keep it simple as I know nothing about networking or servers. 

Many thanks.

Edited by iGPR3

Wake On Lan packets don't need to be sent from a wired connection. My NAS is off most of the time, so I use scripts to wake when needed. My wifes laptop (wifi only) can wake it.

As for from a phone, sure you can send magic packets from them. Google Play - Wake on Lan

7 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Wake On Lan packets don't need to be sent from a wired connection. My NAS is off most of the time, so I use scripts to wake when needed. My wifes laptop (wifi only) can wake it.

As for from a phone, sure you can send magic packets from them. Google Play - Wake on Lan

Sadly I don’t have an android.. From what I’ve found, there are apps for iOS but people say they don’t even work. Any other workarounds?

5 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

there are apps for iOS but people say they don’t even work

the problem with magic packet is that it's a VERY low level thing, so depending on the complexity of the network, or maybe even just having mobile data turned on on the phone, the packet might get lost on the way.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the problem with magic packet is that it's a VERY low level thing, so depending on the complexity of the network, or maybe even just having mobile data turned on on the phone, the packet might get lost on the way.

Well, since a cheap Raspberry Pi would work, I might have to get one and send the packet with that. 

Would my network be too complex anyways? My router is connected over ethernet to a WiFi extender, which then goes into an ethernet switch, to my server.. If it won’t work I can still just press the power button, so it isn’t completely necessary.

15 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

Well, since a cheap Raspberry Pi would work, I might have to get one and send the packet with that. 

Would my network be too complex anyways? My router is connected over ethernet to a WiFi extender, which then goes into an ethernet switch, to my server.. If it won’t work I can still just press the power button, so it isn’t completely necessary.

try it with a laptop, if it works with the laptop over wifi it'll work with a phone, if it wont work, try plugging the laptop in on the same switch as the server, if that doesnt work it's something on the server's end, if that works you can "step back" trough the network until you find where it goes wrong.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

try it with a laptop, if it works with the laptop over wifi it'll work with a phone, if it wont work, try plugging the laptop in on the same switch as the server, if that doesnt work it's something on the server's end, if that works you can "step back" trough the network until you find where it goes wrong.

I tried waking it with my PC from sleep mode, and it worked, but not powered off. Is there a way to make it work with it being completely powered off? 

29 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

if i'm having to guess, you've enabled wake on lan, but not wake from S5. (S5 = fully shut down, S3 = sleep mode)

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Sadly I can't find any setting in the BIOS about this. I swear I found this ages ago and turned it on to no avail, but I can't find it. I've asked on the MEDION forums (my PC was a MEDION prebuilt) and I'm awaiting an answer. I'll keep you posted if I get any reply, but probably not.

Would you know what setting to look for? It could very well be right there but I just don't know what setting to look for or turn on.

2 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

MEDION

well, good f'ing luck on that part.. knowing medion's track record it may as well just be broken.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, good f'ing luck on that part.. knowing medion's track record it may as well just be broken.

Hah, yeah, their forums page is long dead and most posts I've made in the past have had no reply, but we'll see.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:41 PM, manikyath said:

Surprisingly, a medion user actually replied to my post. Turns out UEP was enabled, and disabling it fixed my issue. Thanks for your help!