s23 show notifications on Always On Display

never_here

so, my question is, how do i set it so my S23 can show notifications, even when screen is locked.  What i mean, while my phone is locked, and in Always On Display mode, and i get a notification, all i hear is the sound, and then the tiny icon pops up on the display, under the time and date of the always on display, which then i need to tap on display or unlock, w/e, just so i can see what it is. 

Is there no way for the screen to briefly turn on, show the notification, and go back to the always on display after a few seconds?  

That's intentional for privacy reasons so that other people can't just read whatever notification you might not want them to if you have your phone on the table or something...

Check the privacy/notification settings, might be an option to show anyway.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

that part i understand, theres a function that can be enabled to show notifications on unlock only, but, it be nice to at least turn on the device to show, you got a message, or email.  

I personally enjoy keeping my phone on silent and vibrate only, but i want it show actually show i got email, and only after my finger print, i can see the context of the email. 

So im not sure on the S23 specifically, but I do know that under your always on display settings, you should have options like "tap to show", "show always", "show as scheduled" and "show for new notifications" (these are the options I have on my Z fold 5.)  I believe "show for new notifications" or "show always:" is what yours looking for.

On 12/29/2023 at 9:33 PM, xMillerLiteManx said:

So im not sure on the S23 specifically, but I do know that under your always on display settings, you should have options like "tap to show", "show always", "show as scheduled" and "show for new notifications" (these are the options I have on my Z fold 5.)  I believe "show for new notifications" or "show always:" is what yours looking for.

i have always show on, and my brother who had the Fold 4, has same options.  Works for him, but for me, my notifications are still not popping up sadly... 

On 12/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, Kilrah said:

That's intentional for privacy reasons so that other people can't just read whatever notification you might not want them to if you have your phone on the table or something...

Check the privacy/notification settings, might be an option to show anyway.

it seems to be very selective after factory reseting, still getting the problem without ANY settings changes, then managed to get something to work when changing from brief notifications to detailed notifications, back to brief.  Telegram seems to work, but emails just pop up an icon, or whatsapp too, just icon.  not even sound notifications.  Man, this is driving me insane.  I keep missing work emails and messages because my phone is selective in what to show brief details of, and not, as well as what notification will have sound, and not.  

1 hour ago, never_here said:

it seems to be very selective after factory reseting, still getting the problem without ANY settings changes, then managed to get something to work when changing from brief notifications to detailed notifications, back to brief.  Telegram seems to work, but emails just pop up an icon, or whatsapp too, just icon.  not even sound notifications.  Man, this is driving me insane.  I keep missing work emails and messages because my phone is selective in what to show brief details of, and not, as well as what notification will have sound, and not.  

Do you use your phone for work?

Do you have company managed email or other services on your device? It's possible they've applied a policy to restrict these on your device.

For example, my work phone cannot display any form of notification on lock screen (detail nor icon), and the longest screen on time I can set is 30 seconds.

(If you do freelance or independent work from a personal email, you can likely disregard my anecdote)