New PSU won’t turn on

Edwardo07
Go to solution Solved by MarkPol88,

To clarify - you hooked it up to motherboard and turn computer on or just bare PSU?

If answer is you just plugged PSU to the wall socket and it did not turn on, then it is normal behaviour - PSU needs signal from the motherboard to start up (two pins in ATX 20+4 connector need to be joined, I believe).

If you meant that computer do not turn on, then there are few possibilities:

- bad PSU (yeah, that happens unfortunately)

- loose/bad connection - recheck all connectors between motherboard, GPU and PSU.

- loose front panel connector - during cable managing or hooking up something else you might have pulled on wires from front panel on switch so check it.

After OP answer:

You can turn on PSU on its own but it require some janky stuff from normal user perspective, as I stated above, so probably wait for rest of the system.

I just bought a thermaltake smart series 500w PSU and it won’t turn on when i plug it into the wall and turn it on (Fan won’t spin, no led).any help would be great!

IMG_1226.jpeg

PSU or PC? because PSU doesn't turn on just because the switch is on and the power is in

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

PSU or PC? because PSU doesn't turn on just because the switch is on and the power is in

PSU. i thought it would turn on because i saw people testing fans on the psu directly with nothing else. i guess i’ll just wait and then test everything together.

To clarify - you hooked it up to motherboard and turn computer on or just bare PSU?

If answer is you just plugged PSU to the wall socket and it did not turn on, then it is normal behaviour - PSU needs signal from the motherboard to start up (two pins in ATX 20+4 connector need to be joined, I believe).

- loose/bad connection - recheck all connectors between motherboard, GPU and PSU.

- loose front panel connector - during cable managing or hooking up something else you might have pulled on wires from front panel on switch so check it.

After OP answer:

You can turn on PSU on its own but it require some janky stuff from normal user perspective, as I stated above, so probably wait for rest of the system.

Edited by MarkPol88
OP answered before I posted my message.

1 minute ago, MarkPol88 said:

If answer is you just plugged PSU to the wall socket and it did not turn on, then it is normal behaviour - PSU needs signal from the motherboard to start up (two pins in ATX 24 pin need to be joined, I believe).

oh ok, i just plugged it into the wall and expected it to turn on lol, so i only need a motherboard to test this or does the motherboard need the cpu also?

5 minutes ago, Edwardo07 said:

so i only need a motherboard to test this

Technically motherboard might turn on PSU without CPU but I think it may depend on the chipset/motherboard manufacturer. Better someone more knowledgeable than me clarify this.

You would still need to hook up front panel connector power switch to turn on motherboard.

As I said - if it is new, I would wait for rest of the parts and do test boot of everything plugged in.

49 minutes ago, MarkPol88 said:

Technically motherboard might turn on PSU without CPU but I think it may depend on the chipset/motherboard manufacturer. Better someone more knowledgeable than me clarify this.

You would still need to hook up front panel connector power switch to turn on motherboard.

As I said - if it is new, I would wait for rest of the parts and do test boot of everything plugged in.

Yeah depends on chipset, some mobos are able to update bios etc without cpu/ram, but TBH for testing purposes I don't think it's worth bothering... just wait for entire system and do a system test out of the chassis if possible. Worst thing is taking all the time and cable routing etc and then finding out your mobo or cpu or something is DOA. Even almost 30 years in I still do a bench test of components when doing a full system build/rebuild.

A few years back I skipped doing a testbench, heartbreaking when you have to remove almost the entire system in the end to send a part or 2 back as DOA... makes you remember for the next few times though, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini