[reuters] China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on government computers

WolfDeville

China has banned government use of Windows 8, Microsoft Corp's latest operating system (OS), in a blow to the U.S. technology company which has long been plagued by sales woes in the country.

The Central Government Procurement Center issued the ban on installing Windows 8 on government computers as part of a notice on the use of energy-saving products, posted on its website last week.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520

nice link...

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

nice link...

Are you suggesting Reuters are disreputable or something?

Are you suggesting Reuters are disreputable or something?

no, it's funny because he only posted a link.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Nice link bro.

So descriptive.

Much read.

Wow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

"The official Xinhua news agency said the ban was to ensure computer security after Microsoft ended support for its Windows XP operating system, which was widely used in China."

What kind of logic is this I don't even what 

what is meant is China has been pushing linux for a long time

they do not want to depend on windows anymore (costs too much) so they will just stop supporting it fully from now on

this is the same move taken by many European governments but not a full ban

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

what is meant is China has been pushing linux for a long time

they do not want to depend on windows anymore (costs too much) so they will just stop supporting it fully from now on

this is the same move taken by many European governments but not a full ban

I think there is another reason.

Microsoft actually had given Chinese governement access of the source codes of Windows 7, and some other Microsoft softwares ,to ease their security concern about Microsoft's products, but not Windows 8. (windows 8 was not out yet at that time) So Chinese government would not let its officials to install a product that they don't know much about.

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/china-gets-a-peek-at-microsoft-source-code/d/d-id/1089702

(*this news is dated back in 2010)

I think there is another reason.

Microsoft actually had given Chinese governement access of the source codes of Windows 7, and some other Microsoft softwares ,to ease their security concern about Microsoft's products, but not Windows 8. (windows 8 was not out yet at that time) So Chinese government would not let its officials to install a product that they don't know much about.

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/china-gets-a-peek-at-microsoft-source-code/d/d-id/1089702

(*this news is dated back in 2010)

couldnt find info that they blocked them from having access to win8  source code

but still China is investing heavily in the move it linux

even Ubuntu has a separate chinese version for the people which already been downloaded over a million times

check this out

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/ubuntu-to-become-the-official-os-of-china

http://www.legitreviews.com/ubuntu-kylin-pushing-replace-xp-china_142205

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

couldnt find info that they blocked them from having access to win8 source code

but still China is investing heavily in the move it linux

even Ubuntu has a separate chinese version for the people which already been downloaded over a million times

check this out

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/ubuntu-to-become-the-official-os-of-china

http://www.legitreviews.com/ubuntu-kylin-pushing-replace-xp-china_142205

there is no info on Microsoft blocked Chinese government's access becoz Windows 8 is not in the agreement. Windows 8 was release in 2012, and as far as I know, there is no new agreement like this signed after 2010. So the Chinese government have no access to windows 8's source code, and know nth about windows 8.

And I heard of the ubuntu news. Since ubuntu is open source, they could conduct their own security reviews, and learn its security capability. So they allow ubuntu to be installed in government computer.

Control is important to the Chinese government. That's one of the reasons why they try to moved to linux. Linux is open source, and they can ( and did) make a version of their own. It made them feel they are in control, not to rely on OSs from foreign countries which may already be compromised by foreign agencies...

qwertywarrior, on 20 May 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:qwertywarrior, on 20 May 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

please fix the title

China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on government computers

Jogostar, on 20 May 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:Jogostar, on 20 May 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

no, it's funny because he only posted a link.

tmcclelland455, on 20 May 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:tmcclelland455, on 20 May 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Nice link bro.

So descriptive.

Much read.

Wow.

Yeah I done this in a rush, sorry. I fixed it now.

This sounds more like a political move more than anything, based on this: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-eyeing-charges-foreign-cyber-espionage-case-23774264

Maybe they are thinking that the NSA put spying code in Windows 8, so the U.S can spy on China more easily. Think about it, the O.S has full access to every computer. It can read and send all files and send select files on demand.

So it is not about 'Windows 8 sucks', but rather, they are afraid of getting Windows 8 with spying code included.

there is no info on Microsoft blocked Chinese government's access becoz Windows 8 is not in the agreement. Windows 8 was release in 2012, and as far as I know, there is no new agreement like this signed after 2010. So the Chinese government have no access to windows 8's source code, and know nth about windows 8.

And I heard of the ubuntu news. Since ubuntu is open source, they could conduct their own security reviews, and learn its security capability. So they allow ubuntu to be installed in government computer.

Control is important to the Chinese government. That's one of the reasons why they try to moved to linux. Linux is open source, and they can ( and did) make a version of their own. It made them feel they are in control, not to rely on OSs from foreign countries which may already be compromised by foreign agencies...

control is important to all government :P

but yeah EU gov is also moving to opensource software mainly because of cost

control is important to all government :P

but yeah EU gov is also moving to opensource software mainly because of cost

yes, but it is so important to the Chinese government, as they regulate so much stuff...

Yeah I done this in a rush, sorry. I fixed it now.

Cool. And now for a bit of wisdom (kinda): Damn China and their stupid tech laws. Consoles, great Firewall of China, the fact that most people use Windows XP over there...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

its okei le chinese can make their own copy version of windows and much cheaper

Headline...... China bans star citizen for being too realistic. o: