Can i activate COEM win 7 with an OEM licence?

Hukko
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

I think the license should work as long as you install the same edition of Windows. (Home/Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise)

I think the license should work as long as you install the same edition of Windows. (Home/Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Hukko said:

thanks, so if I install Win 7 profesional 64bit and than buy a win 7 profesional OEM licence it should work

Why Windows 7 specifically? It's been out of support for years.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I will be upgrading my uncles old pc and we will have to install a new win because we are changing the mbo, he wanted win 7 because he is used to it

10 minutes ago, Hukko said:

COEM

AMBATU-

i am (not) sorry =p

11 minutes ago, Hukko said:

I dont know if I can activate that install using an OEM licence because I cant find any COEM licences.

https://archive.org/details/win-7-pro-sp1-slovak-coem

Never heard of coem but id just try activating it with your license anyways, chances are that itd work anyways and the extra c doesnt actually mean anything and is just there to confuse people

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

i mean there could be some software that doesnt support w10

But if you dont have any software or anything that requires w7 and wont work on w10 just go w10

If you hate the telemetry and bloat just use w10 ltsc

If you want the w7 look or some features from w7 theres modifications like classicshell that bring back stuff like the old windows home menu

13 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

AMBATU-

i am (not) sorry =p

Never heard of coem but id just try activating it with your license anyways, chances are that itd work anyways and the extra c doesnt actually mean anything and is just there to confuse people

i mean there could be some software that doesnt support w10

But if you dont have any software or anything that requires w7 and wont work on w10 just go w10

If you hate the telemetry and bloat just use w10 ltsc

If you want the w7 look or some features from w7 theres modifications like classicshell that bring back stuff like the old windows home menu

I didnt realy want to install win 10 because I dont have a realy good experiance with win 10, and it woud be easier to install win 7 than having to download other programs to make it look like win 7, and I dont want to risk any incompatibilities with the hardware because everything is from before 2008 except the gpu

1 hour ago, Hukko said:

I didnt realy want to install win 10 because I dont have a realy good experiance with win 10, and it woud be easier to install win 7 than having to download other programs to make it look like win 7, and I dont want to risk any incompatibilities with the hardware because everything is from before 2008 except the gpu

Technically its fine though you may run into apps that dont even support w7 anymore

Btw what hardware? Even 775 will run w10 just fine, and beefier hardware like x58 wont have any problems running and gaming on w10

57 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Technically its fine though you may run into apps that dont even support w7 anymore

Btw what hardware? Even 775 will run w10 just fine, and beefier hardware like x58 wont have any problems running and gaming on w10

we are upgrading from 4gb 666mhz to 8gb 800mhz ddr2, from gt430 1gb to zotac gtx 960 2gb the new mbo is I believe ASUS P5K SE, we are reusing the Core 2 Quad Q8400, psu, case, and 512gb hdd,

it is an old HP compaq from around 2008

1 hour ago, Hukko said:

we are upgrading from 4gb 666mhz to 8gb 800mhz ddr2, from gt430 1gb to zotac gtx 960 2gb the new mbo is I believe ASUS P5K SE, we are reusing the Core 2 Quad Q8400, psu, case, and 512gb hdd,

it is an old HP compaq from around 2008

P5k se

Not bad but definitely bios crippled so id suggest grabbing a ch341a and flashing it to a p5k pro, i dont mind making a modbios with maximus ii ebb

Quads are meh for fsb so id expect around 450fsb once bios is not crippled

~4ghz at 1.3v is probs what that chip is capable of but if it isnt too shit of a bin maybe abit higher, unfortunately really low multi so youll be stuck to only 3.6-3.8ghz depending on how high you can get the fsb

Tbh id just ditch that entire cpu + mobo + ram combo as its pretty clear you wanna game by that gpu upgrade

you wont be saving much money over reselling that mobo + cpu + ram and buying something 1st gen which will annihilate it whilst not requiring good rams to do any decent overclocks and still being pretty cheap

depends on country so maybe youll only have access to cheap i5 750/760 or xeon x3440-70 + h55/p55  and oc to ~4ghz or maybe you have a decent used market and you can get a used 2500k/2600k + p67/z68/z77 oc to ~4.8ghz or a used x58 based setup with a gulftown i7 or xeon x/w 6 core oc to 4.2-4.6ghz+ which will all annihilate the c2q especially when overclocked

As for the gpu id reccomend a used rx 570/580 4gb as theyll problably float around 30-40$ depending on your country whilst providing perfirmance equivalent to a gtx 1060 which will definitely be bottlenecked by an ancient c2q, 960 2gb is relevant if you get the thing for well under the price of the aformentioned used rx 570/580

40 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

P5k se

Not bad but definitely bios crippled so id suggest grabbing a ch341a and flashing it to a p5k pro, i dont mind making a modbios with maximus ii ebb

Quads are meh for fsb so id expect around 450fsb once bios is not crippled

~4ghz at 1.3v is probs what that chip is capable of but if it isnt too shit of a bin maybe abit higher, unfortunately really low multi so youll be stuck to only 3.6-3.8ghz depending on how high you can get the fsb

Tbh id just ditch that entire cpu + mobo + ram combo as its pretty clear you wanna game by that gpu upgrade

you wont be saving much money over reselling that mobo + cpu + ram and buying something 1st gen which will annihilate it whilst not requiring good rams to do any decent overclocks and still being pretty cheap

depends on country so maybe youll only have access to cheap i5 750/760 or xeon x3440-70 + h55/p55  and oc to ~4ghz or maybe you have a decent used market and you can get a used 2500k/2600k + p67/z68/z77 oc to ~4.8ghz or a used x58 based setup with a gulftown i7 or xeon x/w 6 core oc to 4.2-4.6ghz+ which will all annihilate the c2q especially when overclocked

As for the gpu id reccomend a used rx 570/580 4gb as theyll problably float around 30-40$ depending on your country whilst providing perfirmance equivalent to a gtx 1060 which will definitely be bottlenecked by an ancient c2q, 960 2gb is relevant if you get the thing for well under the price of the aformentioned used rx 570/580

its my uncles pc that we are upgrading, he wanted to upgrade because the gt430 was having problems with fhd videos and him buying a new screen was just too much for the gpu and it was having problems and the gtx was a good deal (it was like 20€), 4gb is just not enough anymore and the mbo is just because the old one had max of 4gb ram, he uses it for work, youtube, facebook and the only games he plays are strategy games like stronghold.

What does crippled bios mean? I know computers well enough to hopefully help my uncle put it together and install win but I dont know anything about bios.

14 hours ago, Hukko said:

its my uncles pc that we are upgrading, he wanted to upgrade because the gt430 was having problems with fhd videos and him buying a new screen was just too much for the gpu and it was having problems and the gtx was a good deal (it was like 20€), 4gb is just not enough anymore and the mbo is just because the old one had max of 4gb ram, he uses it for work, youtube, facebook and the only games he plays are strategy games like stronghold.

What does crippled bios mean? I know computers well enough to hopefully help my uncle put it together and install win but I dont know anything about bios.

Dont waste your money on 775 since 1st gen lga 1156 generally costs the same as that c2q + mobo (like an i5 750/760 + h55/p55 combo) but absolutely annihilates it in performance, doesnt need good rams to hit full potential, and has support for more than 8gb of ram, also good ddr3 is quite common in the form of oem bare pcbs like samsung m378b5273dh0, hynix hmt351u6cfr8n, etc. Capable of 2800c11 and up

Even if you dont oc lga 1156 will still annihilate the c2q while costing the same

And im saying this as someone that spent way too much money on old 775 garbage that isnt worth anything, not just enthusiast oc boards like the giga ep45 boards capable of 600+ fsb which is still justifiable since it isnt actually for performance but more like having fun overclocking 775 but also crappy generic g31 boards that i tried to fix up and sell which will just get obliterated by lga 1156 that costs the exact same

Heck c2q and their xeon equivalents are more expensive than 1st gen i5 and even i7 whilst performing worse and also needing both a good board and rams to do any real overclock, not to mention ddr2 is capped at 8gb whilst ddr3 you can do 16gb

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Dont waste your money on 775 since 1st gen lga 1156 generally costs the same as that c2q + mobo (like an i5 750/760 + h55/p55 combo) but absolutely annihilates it in performance, doesnt need good rams to hit full potential, and has support for more than 8gb of ram, also good ddr3 is quite common in the form of oem bare pcbs like samsung m378b5273dh0, hynix hmt351u6cfr8n, etc. Capable of 2800c11 and up

Even if you dont oc lga 1156 will still annihilate the c2q while costing the same

And im saying this as someone that spent way too much money on old 775 garbage that isnt worth anything, not just enthusiast oc boards like the giga ep45 boards capable of 600+ fsb which is still justifiable since it isnt actually for performance but more like having fun overclocking 775 but also crappy generic g31 boards that i tried to fix up and sell which will just get obliterated by lga 1156 that costs the exact same

Heck c2q and their xeon equivalents are more expensive than 1st gen i5 and even i7 whilst performing worse and also needing both a good board and rams to do any real overclock, not to mention ddr2 is capped at 8gb whilst ddr3 you can do 16gb

we already bought everything I just didnt have the windows for it, he wont be doing any oveclocking he will just use it for work, youtube, facebook and some light gaming.

He didnt want a new pc he wanted to upgade his old one, I just found what can be upgraded and than the parts for the best price, Its his money and his decision

3 hours ago, Hukko said:

we already bought everything I just didnt have the windows for it, he wont be doing any oveclocking he will just use it for work, youtube, facebook and some light gaming.

He didnt want a new pc he wanted to upgade his old one, I just found what can be upgraded and than the parts for the best price, Its his money and his decision

Well if it works then it works i guess

Im curious as to how much the upgrades cost since the board and rams should be worth basically nothing now

Good deal on the gpu though, rare to find anything worthwhile thats cheaper than a used polaris 70/80 card

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well if it works then it works i guess

Im curious as to how much the upgrades cost since the board and rams should be worth basically nothing now

Good deal on the gpu though, rare to find anything worthwhile thats cheaper than a used polaris 70/80 card

The rams were 12€, they are 4x2gb and the mbo was 36€, it was the cheapest one that supported 8gb ram, but it's new/refurbished so I think it's good, the gpu works fine but it has some horizontal screen tearing when watching YouTube but I think it's normal because my RX580 does the same, I hope that the new system fixes it

14 hours ago, Hukko said:

The rams were 12€, they are 4x2gb and the mbo was 36€, it was the cheapest one that supported 8gb ram, but it's new/refurbished so I think it's good, the gpu works fine but it has some horizontal screen tearing when watching YouTube but I think it's normal because my RX580 does the same, I hope that the new system fixes it

You got ripped off hard

What country? Cause even developing countries like here in indo lga 1156 and 1366 is dirt cheap and will annihilate that old setup, and where you even buy the parts anyway? Only place i can think of that sells that ancient crap for that much is aliexpress cause your local used market would be pricing them alot cheaper or there arent any cause theyre so worthless to the point that even trying to get rid of em for free is hard

12€ for the ram is already pretty terrible but 36€ for that ancient board that problably wont clock fsb for shit is just egregious

Coulda just looked at the used market grabbed an old h55/p55 board for 10-15$ with an accompanying i5 for a few $ and a 2x4 set of ddr3 and thatll destroy that old c2q, and if you dont even need the cpu performance from a ~4ghz i5 you could just buy a cheap h61/b75 board for around the same price and drop in a 3rd gen i3 or i5, not only would it outperform the c2q but also be more power efficient

But hey its 775 so if cpu performance starts being an issue you can just run the fsb at ~450 or just a lazy set 400fsb and forget

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You got ripped off hard

What country? Cause even developing countries like here in indo lga 1156 and 1366 is dirt cheap and will annihilate that old setup, and where you even buy the parts anyway? Only place i can think of that sells that ancient crap for that much is aliexpress cause your local used market would be pricing them alot cheaper or there arent any cause theyre so worthless to the point that even trying to get rid of em for free is hard

12€ for the ram is already pretty terrible but 36€ for that ancient board that problably wont clock fsb for shit is just egregious

Coulda just looked at the used market grabbed an old h55/p55 board for 10-15$ with an accompanying i5 for a few $ and a 2x4 set of ddr3 and thatll destroy that old c2q, and if you dont even need the cpu performance from a ~4ghz i5 you could just buy a cheap h61/b75 board for around the same price and drop in a 3rd gen i3 or i5, not only would it outperform the c2q but also be more power efficient

But hey its 775 so if cpu performance starts being an issue you can just run the fsb at ~450 or just a lazy set 400fsb and forget

I am from Slovakia, the rams and GPU were from aukro.cz and the mbo from PHC.sk 

We are preparing to build it right now, wish us good luck 😄

2 hours ago, Hukko said:

I am from Slovakia, the rams and GPU were from aukro.cz and the mbo from PHC.sk 

We are preparing to build it right now, wish us good luck 😄

Welp gl man

Just remember if its abit too slow for your liking you can just lazy set 400fsb and thatll be an easy 3.2ghz without touching anything else, if the board auto overvolts the cpu just manually set cpu voltage to 1.2v as 3.2ghz is far too slow to need anything more than stock voltage

45 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Welp gl man

Just remember if its abit too slow for your liking you can just lazy set 400fsb and thatll be an easy 3.2ghz without touching anything else, if the board auto overvolts the cpu just manually set cpu voltage to 1.2v as 3.2ghz is far too slow to need anything more than stock voltage

Windows is installed, uncle had his setup cd for win 7 ultimate :D, 

but the CMOS battery is dead and the bios says:

unknown CPU is detected, updating bios is required to unleash its full power! 

CAn a new CMOS fix the CPU problem? 

windows launches just fine but sometimes it completely freezes

and the mbo doesn't fit is the small case, we will probably have to modify it or buy a new one

8 minutes ago, Hukko said:

Windows is installed, uncle had his setup cd for win 7 ultimate :D, 

but the CMOS battery is dead and the bios says:

unknown CPU is detected, updating bios is required to unleash its full power! 

CAn a new CMOS fix the CPU problem? 

windows launches just fine

and the mbo doesn't fit is the small case, we will probably have to modify it or buy a new one

Yea shoulda done more research

im getting the same vibes as when i made my first build and got ripped off on lga 775 crap, though i dont think i would have gone down the oc enthusiast path if not for getting a p5q after the diaster of a p5qpl-am and trying to do insane fsbs only to realize i need an ep45 board for that which i did buy multiple of and resold for a profit, but hey i still have this p5q in my possesion and ive hit 1520 ddr2 stable with it just kinda given up on chasing high freq ddr2 since info on ddr2 is scarce

Just swap the cmos battery

If you want to update bios go ahead, theres no risk as you can take out the bios chip and reprogram externally with a ch341a as its socketed, might aswe

ll flash a p5k pro bios if you ever have to do that, i dont mind making a modded bios with maximus ii ebb for higher fsb

Id totally get one if i found one for <10$ or cheaper than a p5k but seems like theyre unavailable or overpriced though i havent checked as ive kinda given up on 775 to chase 3000+ ddr3 shenanigans on x58 (highest windows bootable so far 3100 on an i7 930) instead of 600+ fsb, 1600+ ddr2, or 5ghz+ pentium 4/celeron d, and i have no clue how much fsb oc or ram oc potential for these se boards (p5b, k, and q) even with modbios

775 is the last really interesting platform for fsb oc, shit rams that wont clock wont get you anywhere, boards vary alot in fsb capability, cpus also need to be binned for high fsb, needing to tune the volts (mainly vnb, vtt reference, etc.) precisely esp on giga boards, its pretty fun, ill play around with 775 again later on once i can voltmod boards, but for now im just chasing max ddr3 freq on x58 or basically anything with a decent imc that isnt haswell (anything 1366, fm1, fm2+, am3+, etc.)

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

im getting the same vibes as when i made my first build and got ripped off on lga 775 crap, though i dont think i would have gone down the oc enthusiast path if not for getting a p5q after the diaster of a p5qpl-am and trying to do insane fsbs only to realize i need an ep45 board for that which i did buy multiple of and resold for a profit, but hey i still have this p5q in my possesion and ive hit 1520 ddr2 stable with it just kinda given up on chasing high freq ddr2 since info on ddr2 is scarce

If you want to update bios go ahead, theres no risk as you can take out the bios chip and reprogram externally with a ch341a as its socketed, might aswe

ll flash a p5k pro bios if you ever have to do that, i dont mind making a modded bios with maximus ii ebb for higher fsb

Id totally get one if i found one for <10$ or cheaper than a p5k but seems like theyre unavailable or overpriced though i havent checked as ive kinda given up on 775 to chase 3000+ ddr3 shenanigans on x58 (highest windows bootable so far 3100 on an i7 930) instead of 600+ fsb, 1600+ ddr2, or 5ghz+ pentium 4/celeron d, and i have no clue how much fsb oc or ram oc potential for these se boards (p5b, k, and q) even with modbios

775 is the last really interesting platform for fsb oc, shit rams that wont clock wont get you anywhere, boards vary alot in fsb capability, cpus also need to be binned for high fsb, needing to tune the volts (mainly vnb, vtt reference, etc.) precisely esp on giga boards, its pretty fun, ill play around with 775 again later on once i can voltmod boards, but for now im just chasing max ddr3 freq on x58 or basically anything with a decent imc that isnt haswell (anything 1366, fm1, fm2+, am3+, etc.)

I put in the working CMOS from the old mbo, now I am trying to update the bios,

what can cause the freezing in windows? I have to turn the pc off when it freezes

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So apparently the mbo isn't p5k se but p5kr 

The max fbs was 400

I successfully upgraded the bios but the system is still freezing, I need to shut the PSU

1 hour ago, Hukko said:

I put in the working CMOS from the old mbo, now I am trying to update the bios,

what can cause the freezing in windows? I have to turn the pc off when it freezes

Could be the rams

Tbh if its already freezing and shit id try to just return that mobo and rams as theyre likely to be the source of problems

Mobos are just generally very error prone and can just decide to up and error or die on their own for no real reason even if they arent dirty or visually ok

Rams are also quite error prone, asus boards absolutely hate hynix rams in the ddr2 era and are generally quite picky with ram so if its crashing then this is likely the cause

Might aswell get your money back and get a 1st gen or 2nd/3rd gen cpu + mobo + ram combo for that price, should be alot less error prone since ddr3 mobos are generally not picky with rams, and theres also alot more info on ddr3 so you can simply cherry pick your ram and order a specific part number.

Or at the very least get a <10€ board and some cheaper rams prefferably nanya or micron, some boards hate hynix rams, samsungs are mid and wont let you run high fsb due to their lousy clocks, elpidas also quite mid unless you find elpida ACBG which is apparently supposed to be pretty good, only experience ive had is with AESE and those were dogshit, very complicated and annoying to tune due to having to set the secondaries and tertiaries and you cant max loosen them either to staabilize the rams so dont buy elpida unless its ACBG

Refurbished and whatnot doesnt matter as these are all 14 year old boards at their newest

Just now, Hukko said:

So apparently the mbo isn't p5k se but p5kr 

I successfully upgraded the bios but the system is still freezing, I need to shut the PSU

Actually thats a pretty decent board, 36€ id rather get a giga ep45 or an asus p5e, maximus, or rampage board but p5k are not bad and theyll do some decent fsb atleast thats what ive seen looking on hwbot

Maybe send some pics of the rams, all 4 sticks, its likely that the rams are causing this because the board just hates whatever ram ic(s) you have and will not play nice

Board is also a possibility but id eliminate the rams first as thats easier to test and swap out

If you still have that old 4gb set you can plug it in to the asus board and see if it works or not, also send a pic here just to verify ic

As for stability testing use prime95 largeffts, keep everything in bios stock for now

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Could be the rams

Tbh if its already freezing and shit id try to just return that mobo and rams as theyre likely to be the source of problems

Mobos are just generally very error prone and can just decide to up and error or die on their own for no real reason even if they arent dirty or visually ok

Rams are also quite error prone, asus boards absolutely hate hynix rams in the ddr2 era and are generally quite picky with ram so if its crashing then this is likely the cause

Might aswell get your money back and get a 1st gen or 2nd/3rd gen cpu + mobo + ram combo for that price, should be alot less error prone since ddr3 mobos are generally not picky with rams, and theres also alot more info on ddr3 so you can simply cherry pick your ram and order a specific part number.

Or at the very least get a <10€ board and some cheaper rams prefferably nanya or micron, some boards hate hynix rams, samsungs are mid and wont let you run high fsb due to their lousy clocks, elpidas also quite mid unless you find elpida ACBG which is apparently supposed to be pretty good, only experience ive had is with AESE and those were dogshit, very complicated and annoying to tune due to having to set the secondaries and tertiaries and you cant max loosen them either to staabilize the rams so dont buy elpida unless its ACBG

Refurbished and whatnot doesnt matter as these are all 14 year old boards at their newest

Actually thats a pretty decent board, 36€ id rather get a giga ep45 or an asus p5e, maximus, or rampage board but p5k are not bad and theyll do some decent fsb atleast thats what ive seen looking on hwbot

Maybe send some pics of the rams, all 4 sticks, its likely that the rams are causing this because the board just hates whatever ram ic(s) you have and will not play nice

Board is also a possibility but id eliminate the rams first as thats easier to test and swap out

If you still have that old 4gb set you can plug it in to the asus board and see if it works or not, also send a pic here just to verify ic

As for stability testing use prime95 largeffts, keep everything in bios stock for now

The original rams: apacer 2gb 800mhz and the others are 1gb 666mhz both

The new ones are patriot 4x2gb 800mhz 

Right now I am trying the old GPU (GT 430) it hasn't froze yet

Maybe some driver issue? 

Or maybe something is not getting enough power, the PSU is 450w

IMG_20231228_175228.jpg

IMG_20231228_175214.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hukko said:

The original rams: apacer 2gb 800mhz and the others are 1gb 666mhz both

The new ones are patriot 4x2gb 800mhz 

Right now I am trying the old GPU (GT 430) it hasn't froze yet

Maybe some driver issue? 

Or maybe something is not getting enough power, the PSU is 450w

IMG_20231228_175228.jpg

IMG_20231228_175214.jpg

I can see samsung r die and samsung e die on the patriots

Try taking the patriots out and taking a pic like the 2nd photo with them but make sure to keep the text on the black ics readable

Btw send pic of the psu and wattage table just to make sure, a trash oem unit may not be able to handle that board as ive tried crappy generic oem units with my p5q and the psu voltage would always go out of whack and make the thing shutdown, you can verify by just going into the hardware monitor in bios and checking the 12v 5v and 3.3v voltages, you can also send a pic of that if you are unsure about the volts