Can i activate COEM win 7 with an OEM licence?

Hukko
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

I think the license should work as long as you install the same edition of Windows. (Home/Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise)

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I can see samsung r die and samsung e die on the patriots

Try taking the patriots out and taking a pic like the 2nd photo with them but make sure to keep the text on the black ics readable

Btw send pic of the psu and wattage table just to make sure, a trash oem unit may not be able to handle that board as ive tried crappy generic oem units with my p5q and the psu voltage would always go out of whack and make the thing shutdown, you can verify by just going into the hardware monitor in bios and checking the 12v 5v and 3.3v voltages, you can also send a pic of that if you are unsure about the volts

The PSU is not original, uncle had it changed because the old one failed, the voltages should be fine, I remember that the numbers in bios were the same

Or maybe it has to do with how it's set up right now, the mbo is out of the case and PSU is in, maybe some contacts can be bad

with the gt430 it ram halflife 2 on max details for about 20 minutes, than i took out the rams

the rams probably costed even more because the average price for used 4gb ddr2 kit is around 10€

IMG_20231228_180937.jpg

IMG_20231228_180942.jpg

IMG_20231228_181012.jpg

IMG_20230719_181142.jpg

1 hour ago, Hukko said:

The PSU is not original, uncle had it changed because the old one failed, the voltages should be fine, I remember that the numbers in bios were the same

Or maybe it has to do with how it's set up right now, the mbo is out of the case and PSU is in, maybe some contacts can be bad

with the gt430 it ram halflife 2 on max details for about 20 minutes, than i took out the rams

the rams probably costed even more because the average price for used 4gb ddr2 kit is around 10€

IMG_20231228_180937.jpg

IMG_20231228_180942.jpg

IMG_20231228_181012.jpg

IMG_20230719_181142.jpg

Psu is meh but tthink itd be ok

You are mixing 3 ics there which are samsung R Q and E die

Try running with only the 2 topmost sticks as those are both R die and should work with eachother due to being the same die revision

For stresstest use prime95 largeffts

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Psu is meh but tthink itd be ok

You are mixing 3 ics there which are samsung R Q and E die

Try running with only the 2 topmost sticks as those are both R die and should work with eachother due to being the same die revision

For stresstest use prime95 largeffts

I changed the case and mbo position.

maybe the 6 pin cable for the gpu was not making contact because it was stretched at a sharp angle, or just reseating the ram/gpu fixed it

it has been running for like one and a half hours and still hasnt crashed

some games that worked before dont work, they crash or just freeze on startup/loading (stronghold crusader 2, Mafia 2, GTA 4), but some work perfectly (halflife 2, call of duty deluxe edition, beamng drive 0.8.0.1)

I think it will be fine, we just have to find out how to get it in the case

9 hours ago, Hukko said:

I changed the case and mbo position.

maybe the 6 pin cable for the gpu was not making contact because it was stretched at a sharp angle, or just reseating the ram/gpu fixed it

it has been running for like one and a half hours and still hasnt crashed

some games that worked before dont work, they crash or just freeze on startup/loading (stronghold crusader 2, Mafia 2, GTA 4), but some work perfectly (halflife 2, call of duty deluxe edition, beamng drive 0.8.0.1)

I think it will be fine, we just have to find out how to get it in the case

Just stresstest with p95 largeffts and i think you are good to go

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

It freezes only when trying to watch something on Google, it freezes with the old ram and old GPU so no problem in new ram/GPU

Maybe bad windows because the one that we installed isn't the same that was on the pc before

The one we installed was win 7 ultimate and the one that was on there was win 7 pro

I plugged in the old HDD and I will try if it freezes too

It booted into the old HDD and now is installing all the necessary things 

The GPU fans spinn occasionally now

In the new install they weren't spinning even when stress testing 

And when turning the pc on the fans spin than stop than they spin again and it turn on, is it okay?

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

It's 100% the system 

On the old HDD win win 7 pro everything works perfectly, no freezes, GPU works correctly, games aren't crashing, sound works, 

I will just make a usb boot drive and try that 

Edit: it froze again while installing MSI afterburner 

29 minutes ago, Hukko said:

It's 100% the system 

On the old HDD win win 7 pro everything works perfectly, no freezes, GPU works correctly, games aren't crashing, sound works, 

I will just make a usb boot drive and try that 

Edit: it froze again while installing MSI afterburner 

You wont know till you stresstest

Now it just starts sounding like the board is the real issue

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You wont know till you stresstest

Now it just starts sounding like the board is the real issue

I stress tested it on the new windows and it was fine, I used pcmark 7 because I had it on my flash drive 

I started a new topic about this in the troubleshooting section

2 minutes ago, Hukko said:

I stress tested it on the new windows and it was fine, I used pcmark 7 because I had it on my flash drive 

I started a new topic about this in the troubleshooting section

Use prime95

Pcmark is a benchmark and not a stresstest, its basically like trying to use cinebench to stress test which it doesnt do well because it isnt a stresstest

21 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Use prime95

Pcmark is a benchmark and not a stresstest, its basically like trying to use cinebench to stress test which it doesnt do well because it isnt a stresstest

Prime95 doesn't open when I click on it, not even as an administrator, when I was trying to turn it on it froze in the bios, counting down stopped, can it be a bad bios update?

Downloaded prime95 from a different website and it works now

7 minutes ago, Hukko said:

Prime95 doesn't open when I click on it, not even as an administrator, when I was trying to turn it on it froze in the bios, counting down stopped, can it be a bad bios update?

Downloaded prime95 from a different website and it works now

Yea that board is problably the issue

Rma it and find another board, should be 10€ for a similar one on the used market if not free cause 775 is literally worthless unless you have a collectors board and/or an oc board like the REX, commando, p5e premium, ep45, etc.

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea that board is problably the issue

Rma it and find another board, should be 10€ for a similar one on the used market if not free cause 775 is literally worthless unless you have a collectors board and/or an oc board like the REX, commando, p5e premium, ep45, etc.

I am doing the test now and everything seems fine

1 minute ago, Hukko said:

I am doing the test now and everything seems fine

Prime95 largeffts or blend?

Both with work fine though

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Prime95 largeffts or blend?

Both with work fine though

I am doing the largeffts 

The mbo has 12 months warranty so we should have enough time to return it

21 minutes ago, Hukko said:

I am doing the largeffts 

The mbo has 12 months warranty so we should have enough time to return it

If swapping out the board doesnt help its problably the rams

Also if they dont just send a replacement board and you get a refund id reccomend looking on the used market as a 15 year old 775 board isnt worth 36€ unless its a collector/oc board which that p5kr is neither

As for board choice since you want 8gb of ram basically anything from the 33 35 and p45 chipsets will do, 31 chipsets are limited to 4gb of ram afaik, 41 and 43 chipsets are crippled for fsb though a 43 chipset would technically work fine here and not be too awful fsb wise (still gets destroyed by even a giga g31 board for fsb though)

14 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If swapping out the board doesnt help its problably the rams

Also if they dont just send a replacement board and you get a refund id reccomend looking on the used market as a 15 year old 775 board isnt worth 36€ unless its a collector/oc board which that p5kr is neither

As for board choice since you want 8gb of ram basically anything from the 33 35 and p45 chipsets will do, 31 chipsets are limited to 4gb of ram afaik, 41 and 43 chipsets are crippled for fsb though a 43 chipset would technically work fine here and not be too awful fsb wise (still gets destroyed by even a giga g31 board for fsb though)

the stress test is still going, the rams are not the problem because it still froze with the old ones - 4gb

I found some boards, I can put the links here and if you want you can help pick the best one

we have only 2 sites where i can buy old stuff like this safely without getting scammed

this is the more expensive one where I got the p5kr

https://www.phc.sk/c/zakladne-dosky/socket-lga775/?view_style=table&id=product-list-c1146&view_count=24&price_from=24&price_to=60&view_sort=price&view_in_stock=1

here are the ones I found 

https://aukro.sk/zakladna-doska-gigabyte-ga-333m-ds2r-1gb-ram-7050566395

specs:https://www.manua.ls/gigabyte/ga-g33m-ds2r/specifications

https://aukro.sk/gigabyte-ga-eg41mf-us2h-s-775-hdmi-cpu-s-chladicom-ram-i-core2quad-7050427644

specs:https://icecat.biz/p/gigabyte/ga-eg41mf-us2h/motherboards-ga-eg41mf-us2h+-rev.+1.0-3323985.html

thank you that you are still trying to help me 🙂

20 minutes ago, Hukko said:

You lucky bastard

Ive been searching for one of these giga g33 boards but theyre literally non existent in indo ;-;

Reason i want one of these is due to their fsb capablility cause looking at hwbot someones almost gotten 600fsb on that particular board, im sure itd go even further with some voltmods to vnb, vtt, and the vtt reference voltages, maybe even beat the p35 chipsets for max fsb. I already have rams capable of 1520 ddr2 so rams arent a particular concern for trying to push 600+ fsb (minimum 1200 ddr2 for 600fsb)

The g41 boards can be completely written off as they are complete dogshit and should not be bought as theyre only useful for pentiums and other 200fsb chips and thats about it

I dont know the price as i cant open the link but id reccomend looking on fb marketplace instead as you should find cheaper 775 boards there

If fb marketplace dont have any good boards for cheap or any boards at all then that g33m ds2r is your best bet

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You lucky bastard

Ive been searching for one of these giga g33 boards but theyre literally non existent in indo ;-;

Reason i want one of these is due to their fsb capablility cause looking at hwbot someones almost gotten 600fsb on that particular board, im sure itd go even further with some voltmods to vnb, vtt, and the vtt reference voltages, maybe even beat the p35 chipsets for max fsb. I already have rams capable of 1520 ddr2 so rams arent a particular concern for trying to push 600+ fsb (minimum 1200 ddr2 for 600fsb)

The g41 boards can be completely written off as they are complete dogshit and should not be bought as theyre only useful for pentiums and other 200fsb chips and thats about it

I dont know the price as i cant open the link but id reccomend looking on fb marketplace instead as you should find cheaper 775 boards there

If fb marketplace dont have any good boards for cheap or any boards at all then that g33m ds2r is your best bet

The g33m costs 16€ and the 333m costs 10€

1 hour ago, Hukko said:

The g33m costs 16€ and the 333m costs 10€

The f is a 333m

Just send pics of the listings

In that case the gigabyte g33m is actually a pretty decent deal for what it is, an insanely high clocking g33 board capable of matching p35 boards

I envy you for having that board so easily accessible ;-;   but hey maybe if i get the opportunity to go abroad ill find one, though im currently seeking out giga x58a oc as those seem to be quite capable in terms of ram oc capability

If you wanna play around with clocking fsb on it i reccomend looking for xtreem dark 1066c6 ddr2 as those are nanya d die and do 1500+ ddr2 which are the sticks i have in my possesion or atleast some nanya 1gb single sided ddr2 or some micron d9gmh/gkx, and an e7000, e8000 core 2 duo, or xeon equivalent. I suspect with a good cpu youll be able to fly past 600fsb

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The f is a 333m

In that case the gigabyte g33m is actually a pretty decent deal for what it is, an insanely high clocking g33 board capable of matching p35 boards

I envy you for having that board so easily accessible ;-;   but hey maybe if i get the opportunity to go abroad ill find one, though im currently seeking out giga x58a oc as those seem to be quite capable in terms of ram oc capability

If you wanna play around with clocking fsb on it i reccomend looking for xtreem dark 1066c6 ddr2 as those are nanya d die and do 1500+ ddr2 which are the sticks i have in my possesion or atleast some nanya 1gb single sided ddr2 or some micron d9gmh/gkx, and an e7000, e8000 core 2 duo, or xeon equivalent. I suspect with a good cpu youll be able to fly past 600fsb

the guy made a mistake in the listing, its a g33m, he just added another 3 😄  image.thumb.png.34133973bbe1808327df0161b4a9af44.pngimage.thumb.png.f2e8eb37030989e4b7965face261515e.png

I dont realy want to buy anything from fb because we have a lot of scammers there

I just checked fb but there isnt realy anything 

Edited by Hukko

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The f is a 333m

Conclusion: uncle is gonna buy a new pc, I can keep all the old parts 

2 hours ago, Hukko said:

the guy made a mistake in the listing, its a g33m, he just added another 3 😄  image.thumb.png.34133973bbe1808327df0161b4a9af44.pngimage.thumb.png.f2e8eb37030989e4b7965face261515e.png

The lower one is the one you want to buy

The upper one is trash and wont clock fsb for shit unless you swap the chipset out to a g45/p45 chipset

Also im curious if your country has giga eg45m boards available particularly the ud2h, also a rare but interesting board since its a g45 chipset, looking at how their ep45 boards clock im curious if the eg45m boards will clock aswell or will they just be some pathetic <500fsb board and get overshadowed by the giga g33 boards that are likely to do 600+ fsb

Lmao this thread is making me have some more enthusiasm over ancient 775 boards

Its fun clocking fsb but on boards designed for those high fsbs like the giga ep45 boards, tpower i45, think dfi also has a 700+ fsb p45 board, REX, etc. Dont think its as fun since the board facilitates it

The thing about 775 is you can clock any board as long as the clockgen is supported by setfsb, even shitty oem dell boards, all you have to do on boards with a locked down bios is just add some voltmods to the board with a few trimpots, thats where the fun is at cause you can clock boards not meant to be clocked

And i just remembered that i had ambitions for clocking those shitty oem dell boards when i get the tools needed, and so far ive now got a rather basic but adequate soldering kit (just need to ground the tips if neccesary) so now all i need is just a multimeter and said trimpots and ill be good to mod the shit out of these boards

Too bad i only realize this when ill be back in school in 9 days but better late than never i guess

ill have an i7 970 soon and be able to mostly finish off ddr3 clocking on x58 with 3600+ ddr3 shenanigans, and i think ill have enough money to play around with some w35xx xeons and some ecc ddr3 rams so thats x58 mostly taken care off aside from trying to find a golden nehalem chip capable of 4600+ uncore at ~1.7v vtt but itll be awhile till i find one of those (i swear if the first xeon w i get after saying that happens to be a golden chip)

So time to chase 5ghz+ cpus and 500+ fsb on shitty oem boards especially dells

3 minutes ago, Hukko said:

Conclusion: uncle is gonna buy a new pc, I can keep all the old parts 

Oh ffs

Well if he needs any help just ask cause spending money on 775 if it isnt for enthusiast overclocking shenanigans is pretty stupid

I mean youd still be better off swapping that mobo + cpu + ram for a 1st or 2nd/3rd gen setup if you actually wanna use it and need the performance

but if you wanna screw around with overclocking on 775 that giga g33m is a golden ticket, all you need is some decent rams thatll clock high which should be dirt cheap and a c2d e7000/8000 or xeon equivalent

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The lower one is the one you want to buy

The upper one is trash and wont clock fsb for shit unless you swap the chipset out to a g45/p45 chipset

Also im curious if your country has giga eg45m boards available particularly the ud2h, also a rare but interesting board since its a g45 chipset, looking at how their ep45 boards clock im curious if the eg45m boards will clock aswell or will they just be some pathetic <500fsb board and get overshadowed by the giga g33 boards that are likely to do 600+ fsb

Lmao this thread is making me have some more enthusiasm over ancient 775 boards

Its fun clocking fsb but on boards designed for those high fsbs like the giga ep45 boards, tpower i45, think dfi also has a 700+ fsb p45 board, REX, etc. Dont think its as fun since the board facilitates it

The thing about 775 is you can clock any board as long as the clockgen is supported by setfsb, even shitty oem dell boards, all you have to do on boards with a locked down bios is just add some voltmods to the board with a few trimpots, thats where the fun is at cause you can clock boards not meant to be clocked

And i just remembered that i had ambitions for clocking those shitty oem dell boards when i get the tools needed, and so far ive now got a rather basic but adequate soldering kit (just need to ground the tips if neccesary) so now all i need is just a multimeter and said trimpots and ill be good to mod the shit out of these boards

Too bad i only realize this when ill be back in school in 9 days but better late than never i guess

ill have an i7 970 soon and be able to mostly finish off ddr3 clocking on x58 with 3600+ ddr3 shenanigans, and i think ill have enough money to play around with some w35xx xeons and some ecc ddr3 rams so thats x58 mostly taken care off aside from trying to find a golden nehalem chip capable of 4600+ uncore at ~1.7v vtt but itll be awhile till i find one of those (i swear if the first xeon w i get after saying that happens to be a golden chip)

So time to chase 5ghz+ cpus and 500+ fsb on shitty oem boards especially dells

Oh ffs

Well if he needs any help just ask cause spending money on 775 if it isnt for enthusiast overclocking shenanigans is pretty stupid

I mean youd still be better off swapping that mobo + cpu + ram for a 1st or 2nd/3rd gen setup if you actually wanna use it and need the performance

but if you wanna screw around with overclocking on 775 that giga g33m is a golden ticket, all you need is some decent rams thatll clock high which should be dirt cheap and a c2d e7000/8000 or xeon equivalent

I think I will be able to help him pick a new pc 

But thank you that you tried to help with fixing it 

I wish you good luck with whatever you want to do

Looks like I will have to learn a lot about computers 😄

1 minute ago, Hukko said:

I think I will be able to help him pick a new pc 

But thank you that you tried to help with fixing it 

I wish you good luck with whatever you want to do

Looks like I will have to learn a lot about computers 😄

Still tho 10€ is a steal for such a good board like the g33m ds2r so if you are interested in screwing around with 775 fsb oc then thatd be your pick

Goodluck to you aswell =)