RAM XMP Problem

FireLegend
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
Just now, FireLegend said:

How do I even overclock CAS Latency? Like would I have to increase/ decrease anything else or just the cl16? Sorry I'm an overclocking noob on these things.

You should just need to edit the timing in the proper menu. 3200 CL16 is not aggressive enough to require doing anything else, though in theory you might need to raise the memory voltage at the same time. Just run a memory stress test after doing this and I'd call it good. 

Hello,

So as a lovely Christmas present I get the g skill trident z royal 2 x 16gb sticks which are overclockable to 3600MHz with xmp turned on. As an average person you just do it save it and boom you're fine. With my luck that's another story. When i overclock it I get bad blue screens of death and many instabilities when I load into windows 11. So I'm going to ask got some help. Can I only leave it at 2666MHz stock or can I overclock it higher and higher until I run into any other problems with it? The video shows my ram at 3600mhz and is stuck on this screen. So basically what I'm asking for is that does anyone know how to manually overclock the ram to I'm not sure 3200MHz?

Any help, greatly appreciated!

Also enjoy the rest of your Christmas!!

Hi,

please define, the mobo and CPU in that config.

I've run in the same issue with wrong compontents paired.

10 minutes ago, MW87HU said:

Hi,

please define, the mobo and CPU in that config.

I've run in the same issue with wrong compontents paired.

Yeah its stupid me. My cpu can only handle 3200MHz which is still an upgrade so I'm happy. Do I have to do anything with the CAS Latency even if I overclock it to 3200MHz or leave the latency at 19?

Cpu: Ryzen 7 2700x

Mobo: Gigabyte AORUS PRO B450

RAM: Trident Z 3600MHz Royal

21 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

So basically what I'm asking for is that does anyone know how to manually overclock the ram to I'm not sure 3200MHz?

There's a couple of things you can try if you want to try to get 3600 to work. Up the SOC voltage to 1.15V, this is the voltage the memory controller runs on and higher voltage helps with higher frequency, then start messing with the ProcODT setting. The ProcODT is generally necessary to get speeds above 3200 to work, and each CPU/motherboard combo requires a different value for this so you will have to play with it. There are other things you can try, but personally if neither of those work, I'd give up as it's not really worth messing with the other values. 

8 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Do I have to do anything with the CAS Latency even if I overclock it to 3200MHz or leave the latency at 19?

Have to? No. Should? Probably. CL19 at 3200 is fairly slow, and you should be able to get that down to 16 with little effort for a bit of a performance uplift. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There's a couple of things you can try if you want to try to get 3600 to work. Up the SOC voltage to 1.15V, this is the voltage the memory controller runs on and higher voltage helps with higher frequency, then start messing with the ProcODT setting. The ProcODT is generally necessary to get speeds above 3200 to work, and each CPU/motherboard combo requires a different value for this so you will have to play with it. There are other things you can try, but personally if neither of those work, I'd give up as it's not really worth messing with the other values. 

Have to? No. Should? Probably. CL19 at 3200 is fairly slow, and you should be able to get that down to 16 with little effort for a bit of a performance uplift. 

How about CAS at 17?

1 minute ago, FireLegend said:

How about CAS at 17?

That would also work and be barely slower, though admittedly AMD platforms have some weird behavior when doing odd CAS latency values, and if an even value works I'd use that even value instead. 

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That would also work and be barely slower, though admittedly AMD platforms have some weird behavior when doing odd CAS latency values, and if an even value works I'd use that even value instead. 

How do I even overclock CAS Latency? Like would I have to increase/ decrease anything else or just the cl16? Sorry I'm an overclocking noob on these things.

Just now, FireLegend said:

You should just need to edit the timing in the proper menu. 3200 CL16 is not aggressive enough to require doing anything else, though in theory you might need to raise the memory voltage at the same time. Just run a memory stress test after doing this and I'd call it good. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Stress test can you recommend one. That would be very helpful!

Thank you for the help 🙂

32 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Yeah its stupid me. My cpu can only handle 3200MHz which is still an upgrade so I'm happy. Do I have to do anything with the CAS Latency even if I overclock it to 3200MHz or leave the latency at 19?

Cpu: Ryzen 7 2700x

Mobo: Gigabyte AORUS PRO B450

RAM: Trident Z 3600MHz Royal

I hope you can find your anwer here, I never had an AMD config ever. I had an i7 9700 that can't handle anything above 3200MHz. Now I have the same pair of RAMs running fine at 3600MHz in a 13th gen. config.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Or how about windows memory diagnostic tool?

2 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Stress test can you recommend one. That would be very helpful!

Thank you for the help 🙂

There's tons of different ones, and everyone has their own personal preference for these. Memtest86 is probably the most common, though admittedly it's not that great at finding memory errors in my experience. TestMem5 is usually my pick with the Anta777 Extreme1 preset on DDR4 platforms, though this is a bit clunky to use. 

2 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Or how about windows memory diagnostic tool?

Never used this one so can't really comment on how effective it is. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There's tons of different ones, and everyone has their own personal preference for these. Memtest86 is probably the most common, though admittedly it's not that great at finding memory errors in my experience. TestMem5 is usually my pick with the Anta777 Extreme1 preset on DDR4 platforms, though this is a bit clunky to use. 

Never used this one so can't really comment on how effective it is. 

Alright thanks, get back to you soon!