Using intel igpu as main + amd dgpu as for games only doesnt work anymore.

gamemaster54

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Intel UHD 770 + RX 7800 XT

CPU: i7 13700

Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A

BIOS Version: 7D43v1F

RAM: 2X16GB GSKILL 3200Mhz DDR4

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO 23H2

GPU Drivers:
Intel: 31.0.101.508
AMD: 23.12.1

Chipset Drivers: Intel B660 10.1.19376.8374

Description of Original Problem: I was using igpu as my main gpu (1 dp cable plugged in to motherboard, no cable is plugged into the gpu and im using 1 monitor) and rx 590 for games only but when i tried to play fortnite or any unity games. they froze and can't be killed using task manager. I fixed that using this registry file mentioned (even the deep sleep thing worked):
iGPU + dGPU not working on Windows 11 - AMD Community

And then I upgraded my gpu from rx 590 to 7800XT and formatted my pc. After the upgrade, that fix doesn't work anymore. Now fortnite crashes if i alt+tab before i see the lobby screen and none of the unity games and CIV 6 works (i only tested those for now)

After i applied this registry file on my rx 590 it said "hybrid/discrete" on the radeon software. It doesn't say that on my rx 7800 xt.

note 1: whenever i tried to play videos with Movies&TV app the videos start with a black screen with sound coming but after like 3 seconds video plays normally. But maybe this is related to the video being played on a hdd.

note 2: in game metrics also doesn't work. when i toggle it on or using the keyboard shortcut. In radeon sofware it says its on but the metrics doesn't come up (also game detection is off).

I want to continue using this setup because i want to lower power consumption and vram usage.

Troubleshooting: I've tried setting the ASPM settings on my bios to OS handled and BIOS handled none of them worked, main gpu on bios is set to IGP with 64mb allocated. All games set to high performance in windows 11 graphics settings and hardware accelerated scheduling is on. One time this setup worked without the registry edit on windows 10 when i had rx590 but after a format it didnt work again, i tried windows 10 with rx 7800 xt but didnt work.

My question is why don't you just plug into the dGPU full time? Seems more needless work for yourself.

it is what it is

Main PC

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX | 32GB 2x16 DDR5-6000MHz | RX 6800 FE | 2x 1TB SSDs | Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021

NAS

Intel Core i3-7100 | ASUS Z270M Prime Plus | 16GB 2x8 DDR4 | 256GB Samsung SSD | 4x2TB WD Blue HDDs | TrueNAS Scale

Windows XP Gaming Rig

Intel Xeon E5-2620 | 32GB 8x4 DDR3-1600MHz | ASUS P9X79 LE | GTX 960 | 500GB HDD | Windows XP Professional

3 minutes ago, aoxomoxoa said:

My question is why don't you just plug into the dGPU full time? Seems more needless work for yourself.

to make the dgpu go to sleep when i dont use it for playing games and save power just like i did before the upgrade and i like to tinker.

27 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

to make the dgpu go to sleep when i dont use it for playing games and save power just like i did before the upgrade and i like to tinker.

that makes no sense considering your main gpu doesn't use any form of significant power without any load placed on it , and 2d imagery isn't significant.

29 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

have you actually verified it saves the 20w it would consume when idle or are you just making your life harder

16 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

have you actually verified it saves the 20w it would consume when idle or are you just making your life harder

on my new 7800xt when i plug the cable to the motherboard it uses 10 watts at idle. but the games don't work as i said. when i had my rx 590 it went to sleep when i applied the registry fix mentioned in the amd forum (also it used lower than 30 watts when idle) and the games were working. the only thing that didn't work was radeon overlay. it sometimes didn't come up.

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

that makes no sense considering your main gpu doesn't use any form of significant power without any load placed on it , and 2d imagery isn't significant.

it uses 30-40 watts on idle and it doesn't go to sleep as it is the main gpu but when i plug the cable to the motherboard it uses 10 watts at idle.

+ vram usage drops to 15 MB out of 16 gb so thats a plus for me.

5 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

it uses 30-40 watts on idle and it doesn't go to sleep as it is the main gpu but when i plug the cable to the motherboard it uses 10 watts at idle.

ok , a 20 watts drop isn't in any way a significant amount of power unless you live in a tent and are powering the pc with a car battery in the middle of nowhere.

7 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

+ vram usage drops to 15 MB out of 16 gb so thats a plus for me.

that again has no relation or bearing to something that would be considered useful.

I think what may be happening here is you are under the impression that your main gpu wasn't designed to work as a 2d display device or somehow isn't able to do it efficiency while overestimating how significant a few watts or a few mb of ram is on a modern system.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

ok , a 20 watts drop isn't in any way a significant amount of power unless you live in a tent and are powering the pc with a car battery in the middle of nowhere.

that again has no relation or bearing to something that would be considered useful.

I think what may be happening here is you are under the impression that your main gpu wasn't designed to work as a 2d display device or somehow isn't able to do it efficiency while overestimating how significant a few watts or a few mb of ram is on a modern system.

yes i know main gpu is designed for 2d as well and do it efficiently, but i want to do it regardless because i like to tinker just like i said and lower the wattage as low as possible. Like i said it worked before and it was efficient + vram usage is important for me because at idle system uses like 3 gb which leaves 13 gb free for games and i play games at ultra settings which tends to use a lot of vram, i mean fortnite uses like 13 gb of vram generally.

1 minute ago, gamemaster54 said:

Like i said it worked before and it was efficient + vram usage is important for me because at idle system uses like 3 gb

your system doesn't use 3gb of vram at idle , nobodys does. it uses maybe a few hundred mb.

whatever youre using to determine it somehow needs 3gb of vram to display a 2d image is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

but i want to do it regardless because i like to tinker just like i said and lower the wattage as low as possible.

theres no reason to do that as it would appear to only cause you and your machine problems from trying to implement a non existent and totally useless parameter.

youre basically jumping in the lifeboat even though the ship isn't sinking.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

your system doesn't use 3gb of vram at idle , nobodys does. it uses maybe a few hundred mb.

whatever youre using to determine it somehow needs 3gb of vram to display a 2d image is incorrect.

theres no reason to do that as it would appear to only cause you and your machine problems from trying to implement a non existent and totally useless parameter.

youre basically jumping in the lifeboat even though the ship isn't sinking.

so this is not normal? because it currently uses 1.7 gb (rebooted just now) but throughout the day i see 2.5-3 gb even after a clean install. 

aa.png

2 hours ago, gamemaster54 said:

so this is not normal? because it currently uses 1.7 gb (rebooted just now) but throughout the day i see 2.5-3 gb even after a clean install. 

ok well stop using task manager to check gpu usage and use a normal program like msi afterburner

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

ok well stop using task manager to check gpu usage and use a normal program like msi afterburner

well radeon software show the same amount and i trust that

7 minutes ago, gamemaster54 said:

well radeon software show the same amount and i trust that

well you probably shouldn't seeing as your screens resolution isn't high enough to use 3gb of vram nor are there any windows UI elements that use 3gb of vram.

should be using either gpu-z or msi afterburner

48 minutes ago, emosun said:

well you probably shouldn't seeing as your screens resolution isn't high enough to use 3gb of vram nor are there any windows UI elements that use 3gb of vram.

should be using either gpu-z or msi afterburner

they report the sameaa.thumb.png.de22a6aefe8466bfcf2d7fac89026d15.png