Ultra-Superwide monitor and a PC going through an AV receiver - which AV receiver can do this?

Hi all,

Need some help here. Let me start with some context.

I have my an AV receiver (Onkyo TX-L50). Into it, I have a laptop plugged in via HDMI.

Also into the receiver I have optical sound from a PC.

The PC is connected to an ultrawide monitor, the Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo suing a DP cable.

What I would like to do, is achieve an Atmos audio output from the PC into my 5.1 speaker setup, which is currently powered by the AV receiver.

I was told that if I enable “passthrough” on the AV receiver and use HDMI from the GPU (an RTX 4090) it should just show whatever is being output from the GPU on the monitor with no processing.

This does work to some extent – it shows the super-ultrawide display but it looks “off”, please see attached picture.

Here are my questions…

1)     Does anyone know of an AV receiver that will achieve the super-ultrawide picture? I don’t mind the price (within reason). HDR and Atmos is a must, but I imagine at the category I am looking at, it will have those as a given.

2)     Should my current one actually work, but the problem is I am doing something wrong – perhaps with refresh rate?

UPDATE: I already have audio working from my pc to the avr via optical. reason I am looking to do this is to have Atmos so I can enjoy Atmos audio from movies and some games - as you know optical does not have the bandwidth to support this.

20231217_151159.jpg

if im remembering right, an avr can only do what its listed. which is 1080, 1440, and 4k with the htz it says it can do. even in bypass. the signal still goes through the avrs video chip.

Using optical from PC to reciever you can get Surround.

If you need that for laptop you could connect using hdmi to reciever and use as audio output

1 minute ago, Likwid said:

Using optical from PC to reciever you can get Surround.

If you need that for laptop you could connect using hdmi to reciever and use as audio output

image.png.220fcfa2b8b378a2572d4786310b01c7.png
Reciever is connected to TV using HDMI arc.
PC is connected to TV using other HDMI port.
Reciever is Denon AVR 2113 (high power version)

17 hours ago, circeseye said:

if im remembering right, an avr can only do what its listed. which is 1080, 1440, and 4k with the htz it says it can do. even in bypass. the signal still goes through the avrs video chip.

Ah that is interesting and actually makes sense - I thought it sounded a bit off when someone told me this.

I was thinking if I bought an 8k wide-screen avr capable of 8k/60hz of which I have found a few, do you think I could force a custom resolution at super ultra wide 60 as it's still within the theoretical limits of what the avr can output?

9 hours ago, tijlamak said:

Ah that is interesting and actually makes sense - I thought it sounded a bit off when someone told me this.

I was thinking if I bought an 8k wide-screen avr capable of 8k/60hz of which I have found a few, do you think I could force a custom resolution at super ultra wide 60 as it's still within the theoretical limits of what the avr can output?

id say if the avr doesnt list the res you want its not going to work right.....i mean you "could" contact the avr maker and ask if the res you want want will work. just to be sure

On 12/22/2023 at 10:56 PM, tijlamak said:

Hi all,

Need some help here. Let me start with some context.

I have my an AV receiver (Onkyo TX-L50). Into it, I have a laptop plugged in via HDMI.

Also into the receiver I have optical sound from a PC.

The PC is connected to an ultrawide monitor, the Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo suing a DP cable.

What I would like to do, is achieve an Atmos audio output from the PC into my 5.1 speaker setup, which is currently powered by the AV receiver.

I was told that if I enable “passthrough” on the AV receiver and use HDMI from the GPU (an RTX 4090) it should just show whatever is being output from the GPU on the monitor with no processing.

This does work to some extent – it shows the super-ultrawide display but it looks “off”, please see attached picture.

Here are my questions…

1)     Does anyone know of an AV receiver that will achieve the super-ultrawide picture? I don’t mind the price (within reason). HDR and Atmos is a must, but I imagine at the category I am looking at, it will have those as a given.

2)     Should my current one actually work, but the problem is I am doing something wrong – perhaps with refresh rate?

UPDATE: I already have audio working from my pc to the avr via optical. reason I am looking to do this is to have Atmos so I can enjoy Atmos audio from movies and some games - as you know optical does not have the bandwidth to support this.

You need a new avr if you want atmos. You only have 5.1. That isn't enough for atmos.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You need a new avr if you want atmos. You only have 5.1. That isn't enough for atmos.

That isn't entirely accurate according to Dolby's website and an Onkyo firmware update of at least 1.09 adds support for ‘’Dolby Atmos for 3.1.2ch’’. So you can technically get Atmos but you'd lose surrounds since there is only 6 channels. Either way, doesn't seem that it will work in the way that the OP wants it to work. I've never heard an Atmos 3.1.2 to know if it sounds better than just a 5.1 surround setup - probably depends on the source material.

The idea behind Atmos is object-based sound for more immersive surround sound. If you only have a 5.1 sound system, then you're not going to achieve Atmos since you don't have any speakers for the ceiling audio channels - e.g. 3.1.2 / 5.1.2 / 7.1.2 audio setups.

Can't you just have 1 video cable going from card to monitor, and another video cable going from card to AVR ?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 12/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

The idea behind Atmos is object-based sound for more immersive surround sound. If you only have a 5.1 sound system, then you're not going to achieve Atmos since you don't have any speakers for the ceiling audio channels - e.g. 3.1.2 / 5.1.2 / 7.1.2 audio setups.

Can't you just have 1 video cable going from card to monitor, and another video cable going from card to AVR ?

this is exactly what i am doing now. i have second monitor enabled (the onkyo) and then in windows display settings, set it to the smallest res (800*600 or something) and then move the second monitor into a position i rarely move the mouse, top right of the screen. it works fine, but it's annoying when it does move into the little corner where it "thinks" there is another display and i cannot find my mouse for a moment.

i guess i will have to live with this - it does after all give me atmos (aside from having to reinstall the god awful dolby access for windows - but that's another thread).

i will most likely end up upgrading my av receiver sooner or later as i hope to get a couple of rear pairs and some ceiling speakers too - hopefully when the time comes i will find a suitable receiver to things properly!

16 minutes ago, tijlamak said:

this is exactly what i am doing now. i have second monitor enabled (the onkyo) and then in windows display settings, set it to the smallest res (800*600 or something) and then move the second monitor into a position i rarely move the mouse, top right of the screen. it works fine, but it's annoying when it does move into the little corner where it "thinks" there is another display and i cannot find my mouse for a moment.

i guess i will have to live with this - it does after all give me atmos (aside from having to reinstall the god awful dolby access for windows - but that's another thread).

i will most likely end up upgrading my av receiver sooner or later as i hope to get a couple of rear pairs and some ceiling speakers too - hopefully when the time comes i will find a suitable receiver to things properly!

Maybe you can get actual second monitor then connect AVR to it. For instance I bought 10 inch display for PC monitoring. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

On 12/27/2023 at 9:14 PM, BuzzingBee said:

Maybe you can get actual second monitor then connect AVR to it. For instance I bought 10 inch display for PC monitoring. 

Hi,

I don't mean this in a snide way - but what would be the purpose of a second monitor connected to the AVR? Not sure I am understanding? Would it be to allow my mouse somewhere to go or doing something different in regards to achieving atmos? Keen to know more about what you're proposing.

5 hours ago, tijlamak said:

Hi,

I don't mean this in a snide way - but what would be the purpose of a second monitor connected to the AVR? Not sure I am understanding? Would it be to allow my mouse somewhere to go or doing something different in regards to achieving atmos? Keen to know more about what you're proposing.

what they mean is video to tv with hdmi and a second hdmi to avr for audio (it will be as a second monitor) you would set the avr monitor position in windows like corner to corner so you dont lose your mouse pointer
a dirty sketch to show

Untitled.jpg

6 hours ago, tijlamak said:

Hi,

As you said it gets annoying if the mouse gets hidden over second display, worse if applications open up on there aswell.
Unless you plan on increase the amount of speakers for your room, upgrading to HDMI 2.1 AVR is an expensive solution if you only need HDMI 2.1 passthrough. 
My suggestion for second monitor could save you extra cost without needing to buy HDMI 2.1 AVR as it reveals your mouse pointer and programs.

BTW because I don't have HDMI 2.1 AVR I don't know the answer whether it can passthrough superwide resolution. 

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

what they mean is video to tv with hdmi and a second hdmi to avr for audio (it will be as a second monitor) you would set the avr monitor position in windows like corner to corner so you dont lose your mouse pointer
a dirty sketch to show

Untitled.jpg

I remembered trying this particular method and although it appears fine at first, programs could still load onto AVR screen and my mouse pointer can't reach them. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820