This $20 Android TV Streaming Box is Great for Pirates - Android TV Device Roundup

TannerMcCoolman

This came out at a convenient time for me.  I've been using various Chromecast devices for a little while and they're fine.  They've worked well enough I haven't turned on my HTPC in quite a while.  

We recently had several day power and internet outages...  I'm ready for this, I have unraid and jellyfin servers, a great home network (and prefer wired connections), and a large generator.  Unfortunately my Chromecasts failed me.  Doesn't matter what else you've got, they require an internet connection which makes them useless in this situation.  So what is even the point!  (The HTPC is dead, long live the HTPC).  

I wasn't paying attention to any other android TV devices assuming they're all garbage. 

Have I been missing out?  What I'd like is to be able to cast to a device like this, passing through to my Home Theatre receiver with surround sound, etc.  Currently I'm running no 4k, no HDR (3D TV is still going strong).  I'm looking at some of the devices in the video, and the android TV lists, but being in Canada the costs of the decent ones doesn't seem to be far off of a mini PC or even an over priced RPi4.  I'm running smart home stuff, so WIFI traffic gets a little crowded and I'd rather have things wired.  So missing out, or if you don't want an AppleTV do you just forget it and build a small HTPC?