New to PCs, wondering what kind of temperatures should I expect

Shimzo

Hello there. This year I decided to treat myself with a PC since I got space now (been using laptops my whole life). Long story short, super fun building experience.

Here is the setup:

• CPU:聽Ryzen 7 5700X
  • GPU:聽EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 (bought it used with 14 months of warranty)
  • Case: Fractal Pop Air (ATX) (2x140mm intakes, 2x120mm exhaust at the top and 1x120mm rear exhaust)
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (I'm running it with 2 fans)
  • Storage: 1TB SSD + 250GB 2.5"
  • PSU: ASUS TUF 750W GOLD+
  • RAM: 2x8GB @ 3200Mhz CL16

I was wondering what kind of idle and under load CPU/GPU temps should I expect from this? Last night when I was finiship everything up, I was getting around 30-40C on both CPU and GPU for idle temps (didn't have time to test under load, also, what should I use for that?). I'm super worried that I messed up my case fans so I guess this would be some sort of a test to see if the airflow is good. And just to be clear, those exhaust fans are running around 20% slower than intake fans.

Any kind of advice is appreciated! (I'll post some pictures as soon as I get home 馃槉)

6 minutes ago, Shimzo said:

Last night when I was finiship everything up, I was getting around 30-40C on both CPU and GPU for idle temps

This is perfectly normal, Ryzen CPUs basically always idle at 40C when at ~21C room temp, and most GPUs will leave the fans off until they hit 50C so 40C idle is expected.聽

6 minutes ago, Shimzo said:

didn't have time to test under load, also, what should I use for that?

For standard temp testing of the CPU, I'll either do one of the Y-Cruncher stress tests or just Cinebench set to loop. For the GPU, something like Heaven benchmark on repeat is common, though so is Furmark and MSI Kombuster. For a temperature torture test, do both CPU and GPU at the same time. In this, I'd expect mid to upper 80s for the CPU (perhaps touching 90C), and for the GPU I'd be expecting something like 60-70.聽

Other method is to just play a couple games and record the temps from them. As I'm guessing this is primarily a gaming system, this is probably the most relevant.

Many people are surprised by how warm systems get when they first enter this hobby.

Most hardware is good up to 100c, and the DH15 is a very strong cooler, so I wouldn't worry as long as you see temps that stay below 85c on the CPU. Your GPU will have a maximum operating temperature of somewhere in the high 90s, but the memory on modern GPUs may well get warmer, I've seen memory on my 3080FE touch 104c, but it's never broken.聽

generally hot as the Sahara until you learn how proper airflow and fancurves work. 馃檪

The direction tells you... the direction.聽

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition)聽

MSI Afterburner聽

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper聽

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity聽

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop聽

Superposition聽

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

For context, 30-40c is VERY VERY low compared to other parts that are out there. My 13600k runs at like 48-52c idle and that's with (one of) the best cooler on the market, Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360AIO. It never cracks over 81c unless I'm doing a stress test though, so it's pretty narrow temp range on mine.聽

Ryzen runs way cooler due to less power draw. Your system is probably fine. Unless you messed up the contact between the cooler and CPU or the paste application, should be ok.聽

Heat pipe coolers don't work well below the boiling point of the refrigerant. Below that temperature, you just have conduction along the pipes. If they start boiling for example at 35掳C, even at low load, you have a hard time staying below that. But there is zero benefit to cool below that anyway at idle.

On the high end, if you enable all PBO etc, and give it enough work to do, CPU will clock up till it hits 95掳C regardless of cooler. That nice cooler just enables higher speed at that temp (and less noise) compared to stock cooler. That is if the VRM stay cool and the PSU can deliver.聽

Not mounting the cooler properly and applying heat paste could be an issue to watch. Plug in all the fans and put them in the right direction.聽

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro