What CPU should I upgrade to? (HELP!)

Fluuwu

Hey guys!

I am currently looking to upgrade the CPU in my gaming PC, because lately my FPS have drastically decreased for a reason that I dont know. I have made a post on this forum about this before, and many people told me to switch from my current CPU to a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (and ofc update the BIOS version to fit the said new processor)

Here's what's in my current rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II

Ram: TridentZ RGB 32gb @3600Mhz (running at only 3266MHz tho, cause my BIOS wouldn't let me boot when i made it higher, idk)

GPU: RTX 3060 Ti (ASUS Dual)

Now, after some research, I found that the Ryzen 5 7600 or Ryzen 5 7600X would also be great picks for a RTX 3060 Ti, but I am not really an expert.

So I need to know which option would be best for me, if I really ONLY do change the CPU and BIOS versions.

Should I go for Ryzen 7 5800X3D or Ryzen 5 7600(X) for my rig?

Also, any tips for anything in the BIOS to resolve FPS issues?

(Additional Information: The computer is mostly used to game, stream on Twitch and edit videos)

5800x3d is an easy upgrade. Ryzen 7000 also need a new motherboard and ram, so will be way more expensive.

Though if your fps was fine and suddenly dropped it doesn't sound like the cpu is the issue to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

5800x3d is an easy upgrade. Ryzen 7000 also need a new motherboard and ram, so will be way more expensive.

Though if your fps was fine and suddenly dropped it doesn't sound like the cpu is the issue to be honest.

So what do you think is the issue then? I really don't know...

1 minute ago, Fluuwu said:

So what do you think is the issue then? I really don't know...

Run msi afterburner rivatuner overlay, check temps and usage% during gaming. Is gpu running at 100%? Update bios to latest version, drivers to latest version, maybe even fresh install windows to rule that out.

Anything in the background running taking up resources?

3 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Run msi afterburner rivatuner overlay, check temps and usage% during gaming. Is gpu running at 100%? Update bios to latest version, drivers to latest version, maybe even fresh install windows to rule that out.

No, GPU runs at about 40-50%. I'm almost sure it could be BIOS, but I'm a noob when it comes to that, so i dont even know...

8 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

GPU usage really depends on the game tho. In Rainbow Six Siege for example, it is way higher.

4 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

No, GPU runs at about 40-50%. I'm almost sure it could be BIOS, but I'm a noob when it comes to that, so i dont even know...

And CPU? And game resolution and settings?

More to the story here. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

And CPU? And game resolution and settings?

More to the story here. 

I play on 1080p and have to set all my games to low quality in order to have at least acceptable fps values...
CPU Usage is between 70-80%, sometimes 80-90%.

Just now, Fluuwu said:

I play on 1080p and have to set all my games to low quality in order to have at least acceptable fps values...
CPU Usage is between 70-80%, sometimes 80-90%.

That doesn't make sense, although most likely the 3700X will bottleneck but not this bad. Have you tried using DDU to reinstall the graphics drivers and check again?

26 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

(running at only 3266MHz tho, cause my BIOS wouldn't let me boot when i made it higher, idk)

XMP and Zen 2 generally can only achieve the max supported frequency so 3266MHz (processor max for RAM is 3200MT/s) makes sense and anything past that is a overclock and is not guaranteed. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"