Trouble Achieving 4K@60Hz with MSI GTX 970 on TV

dennis15510
Go to solution Solved by dennis15510,

I fixed it by choosing HDMI automatic configure modus 1 + not believing what the resolution checker website was reporting because that was based on the windows 11 scaling and not the actually resolution. 

Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing an issue with connecting my computer to my TV using my MSI GTX 970. Unfortunately, I'm unable to achieve a 4K resolution at 60Hz. My TV supports HDMI 2.0 ports (the PS5 works flawlessly in this regard). I've also invested in a new cable, the third one, specifically rated for 4K@60Hz, but the problem persists.

Here are the key details:

• Graphics Card: MSI GTX 970
  • TV: Panasonic
  • HDMI Cable: multiple HDMI cables 4k @ 60
  • Operating System: Windows 11 64 bit
  • System Specs: PSU 750 watts
  • Software Running: No software is running when this problem is occurring
  • Error Messages: no errors are popping up

Despite my TV supporting 4K@30Hz, I'm struggling to figure out what I might be doing wrong to achieve 4K@60Hz. If anyone has encountered a similar issue or has suggestions on what steps I can take to resolve this problem, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Do neither in windows directly nor in the Nvidia control panel you can select 4k60? Only 4k30? Anything else with 60hz possible (1080p60)? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, dennis15510 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing an issue with connecting my computer to my TV using my MSI GTX 970. Unfortunately, I'm unable to achieve a 4K resolution at 60Hz. My TV supports HDMI 2.0 ports (the PS5 works flawlessly in this regard). I've also invested in a new cable, the third one, specifically rated for 4K@60Hz, but the problem persists.

Here are the key details:

• Graphics Card: MSI GTX 970
  • TV: Panasonic
  • HDMI Cable: multiple HDMI cables 4k @ 60
  • Operating System: Windows 11 64 bit
  • System Specs: PSU 750 watts
  • Software Running: No software is running when this problem is occurring
  • Error Messages: no errors are popping up

Despite my TV supporting 4K@30Hz, I'm struggling to figure out what I might be doing wrong to achieve 4K@60Hz. If anyone has encountered a similar issue or has suggestions on what steps I can take to resolve this problem, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Need the specific TV model number to look at the manual and specifications. Not all TVs support 4K@60Hz and if they do, the exact settings to get 4K@60Hz can vary substantially.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

Hi everybody!

thank you for thinking with me!

@FloRolf when I select 4k 60hz in the nividia control panel then the tv doesn’t output a signal anymore. Only when i select 4k 30hz (or a lower resolution). 

@jaslion 3840x2160. 

@problemsolver the tv does in fact support 4k 60hz. For example my ps5 works on this resolution and refresh rate. 
But of course you can check it! 
it’s a panasonic 55cx700

If you guys have any other question let me know!

35 minutes ago, dennis15510 said:

Hi everybody!

thank you for thinking with me!

@FloRolf when I select 4k 60hz in the nividia control panel then the tv doesn’t output a signal anymore. Only when i select 4k 30hz (or a lower resolution). 

@jaslion 3840x2160. 

@problemsolver the tv does in fact support 4k 60hz. For example my ps5 works on this resolution and refresh rate. 
But of course you can check it! 
it’s a panasonic 55cx700

If you guys have any other question let me know!

Okay, I wanted to verify that there wasn't something funky going on with color depth, but the owners manual doesn't really give much in the way of specs.

• Make sure you've updated to the latest Nvidia driver
  • Is your TV up-to-date?
  • Does the 60Hz option not appear in Nvidia Control panel? Or does it appear, but when you click Apply, it doesn't work and the screen goes black and reverts to 4K@30Hz?
  • Also, as an aside, you won't be able to stream 4K Netflix even if you get 4K working @ 60Hz.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

@problemsolver hi thanks for replying again!

yes the drivers are up to date! I also tried to uninstall them once to see if that would fix the problem but no sadly. 
(with that special uninstaller software). 

tv is up to date!

The 60hz option is there but when I select the option and apply it the screen goes black. 

I’m aware that I can not stream netflix in 4k. 

8 minutes ago, dennis15510 said:

@problemsolver hi thanks for replying again!

yes the drivers are up to date! I also tried to uninstall them once to see if that would fix the problem but no sadly. 
(with that special uninstaller software). 

tv is up to date!

The 60hz option is there but when I select the option and apply it the screen goes black. 

I’m aware that I can not stream netflix in 4k. 

What happens when you select 1080p at 60hz? Does that work? Are you using the same HDMI Port as the PS5 for testing?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Seems you've got 2 HDMI 2.0 and one 1.4. Did you catch the wrong one ? (got it from the french website Les Numeriques)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 minute ago, dennis15510 said:

@leclod sadly no. Because i'm testing it in the same hdmi port of my ps5. The ps5 is displaying 4k @ 60hz. 

I'd still try another TV hdmi port

Where do you try to set the 60Hz, in windows or in the NVidia pannel ? I guess it results in the same

But did you try the other ?

Edited by leclod

Did you set your tv in pc mode ? I don't know if this is important

I know I did, the HDMI port as PC input

Edited by leclod

@leclod I just looked at all the settings but I don't see anything like tv mode. I did see something like graphics mode, didn't really change anything and I coudn't select tv/pc. Just things like picture, game, etc.

@leclod I just looked at all the settings but I don't see anything like tv mode. I did see something like graphics mode, didn't really change anything and I coudn't select tv/pc. Just things like picture, game, etc.

I mean set the HDMI port as a pc input

@leclod you mean in the Nvidia control panel? That's not possible, I only have the option for "Ultra HD, HD, SD" not "PC"

@leclod you mean in the Nvidia control panel? That's not possible, I only have the option for "Ultra HD, HD, SD" not "PC"

no, in the TV,

I did set the HDMI port as a PC input, I believe it has to do with Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0

@leclod I checked every setting but I don't see anything about Chroma sybsampling but I did find two weird settings:

HDCP-settings > I can choose between auto, 2.2, 1.4. Nothing changes when i play with these settings

HDMi automatic configure > I can choose between Modus 2 and Modus 1.

When I change it to modus 1 I will get an image but it's not really 4k 60 hertz but 720. Really weird. 

I fixed it by choosing HDMI automatic configure modus 1 + not believing what the resolution checker website was reporting because that was based on the windows 11 scaling and not the actually resolution.