What is better a 1TB SSD with everything on it or a 256 GB SSD along with a 1TB HDD?

Stoneix

I really want to make a pc and I have slowly been getting parts but I am not sure what's better. Also if its the 256 SSD with the hard drive what things do I put on each storage device?

Thanks in advance

SSDs are so cheap right now, it's hard to justify the savings of a (small) HDD. If you wanted 8TB+ that would be different, but 1TB is nothing anymore. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

7 minutes ago, Stoneix said:

I really want to make a pc and I have slowly been getting parts but I am not sure what's better. Also if its the 256 SSD with the hard drive what things do I put on each storage device?

Thanks in advance

If its 256gb ssd + hdd

You want at least your Windows installation on the SSD, and games you often play and will never uninstall.

Honestly, just buy 1 TB.

If you want to split the OS with the datas, just partition it the way you want it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Based on your configuration choice, I'm gonna assume you're aiming for a budget laptop

In my opinion, it would be best to go for 1TB SSD

SSD has way much faster speed than HDD, and it will have significant performance boost from booting, loading, gaming (fps and loading screen), sleep to wake, etc.

Then, you can save up some money for later to buy some high capacity HDD such as 2 or 4 TB, or even another SSD to fill in the available SATA SSD slot.

Because 256GB SSD is just hardly usable, this is probably the directory for Windows OS, and once you install several app or games, it will run out of space anyway, which makes 256GB SSD is practically unuseable

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

I would just get the 1TB SSD. The price of SSDs has gone down so much that the 1TB SSD really isn't that much more expensive than the HDD.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

TLDR: SSD storage is now cheap (ish), just buy SSD and use a free cloud backup .

Depends what you use case is.

Will 1TB be enough is the data long term or will you increase it in time?
Is the data critical/ of high value to you and you want it quick to hand?

I built a budge machine recently with a 256GB SSD (free) and a 2nd hand 1 TB drive from ebay for £20. The user had no unique data, it was to play on steam on a mid/budget PC. All data was also held in steam or other cloud services. This is a good use case for 2nd hand HDD , data you don't care about. 

New HDD can be used if your worried your data need will increase quickly talking multiple TB and that awhole other chat. 

SSHD I don't use these unless free they may as well be HDD's in my mind due to their performance

SDD Sata are a budget SSD option but you get a hugh jump from HDD , they have a place on cheapers PCs

SSD M.2 are cheap eno to meet most use cases, the improvement from SSD sata to M.2 is not small but not as much as like HDD to SSD sata but they are an improvement over SSD Sata none the less. 

Thank you all for helping me I'm going to go with a 1TB SSD, I never even knew it would be faster I thought it would just be more convenient and its cheap enough to make the hard drive go out of the question

1TB to 2TB I would go with ssd. There is a lot of cheap 1TB to 2TB good old models ssd nvme that still is dozen times better than HDD and that  costs almost the same price.

HDD = for data storage nowadays: 8TB+