How many fans can I daisy chain together

NewbiePeyton
Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
16 minutes ago, NewbiePeyton said:

So I have a Asus prime b760-plus d4 and I have 8 fans (including cpu cooler) and I’m wondering if I need a rgb hub or if I could just daisy chain them all together and plug into motherboard

There's a technical answer to this:

Each fan header on a motherboard is able to push out (typically unless otherweise specifed) 1A of power. 

Every fan has their listed amp usage on them. Typically this ranges from 0.15A to 0.4A. You can find this info on the fan motor sticker 

SP922512L - INNOVATIVE - FAN MOTOR DC 12V 0.16 AMP - NEW | eBay

So, generally speaking you can safely attach 3 fans to one header. Beyond that, you'll need to invest in a fan hub to get the amount of fans you want all controlled by one header.

So I have a Asus prime b760-plus d4 and I have 8 fans (including cpu cooler) and I’m wondering if I need a rgb hub or if I could just daisy chain them all together and plug into motherboard

5 minutes ago, NewbiePeyton said:

You can connect all fans to the motherboard, however if you want RGB you will need a RGB hub.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

15 minutes ago, NewbiePeyton said:

No, you cannot attach all of them in a single chain to a header. Each header can only handle a max draw of 1A. Either separate them into groups or get controller/ hub that gets power from the power supply. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

16 minutes ago, NewbiePeyton said:

There's a technical answer to this:

Each fan header on a motherboard is able to push out (typically unless otherweise specifed) 1A of power. 

Every fan has their listed amp usage on them. Typically this ranges from 0.15A to 0.4A. You can find this info on the fan motor sticker 

SP922512L - INNOVATIVE - FAN MOTOR DC 12V 0.16 AMP - NEW | eBay

So, generally speaking you can safely attach 3 fans to one header. Beyond that, you'll need to invest in a fan hub to get the amount of fans you want all controlled by one header.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25