Will lighting behind my TV help me ignore backlight bleed?

Ace McPlane

I got the idea that maybe 

lighting up the wall behind my TV or maybe under the TV stand will help me ignore the flashlighting and backlight bleed with my QLED TV by making my room less dark.

Anyone try this? Did it make a difference?

2 minutes ago, Ace McPlane said:

I got the idea that maybe 

lighting up the wall behind my TV or maybe under the TV stand will help me ignore the flashlighting and backlight bleed with my QLED TV by making my room less dark.

Anyone try this? Did it make a difference?

It could help as it would help brighten the room you sit in.

Or just turn on some extra lights, however this ruins the 'cinema experience'
it took me months to find a monitor / TV I was happy with in terms of backlight bleed.. Hate it so much.

Light splashing on the wall from behind the TV can help lower the perceived black levels a bit. Try it with a table lamp or something first, to see if you like the effect.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Biased lighting will help you perceive darker blacks, but I would imagine that would make backlight bleeding more noticeable?

Put a lamp or something behind the TV before you fully invest. The idea is to have the light sourced aimed wall behind directly the TV so that a gentler light will be bounced back at you.

The easiest example of this would be using the smartphone as you normally would, but in a dark room with the built-in flashlight turned on.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Biased lighting will help you perceive darker blacks, but I would imagine that would make backlight bleeding more noticeable?

Put a lamp or something behind the TV before you fully invest. The idea is to have the light sourced aimed wall behind directly the TV so that a gentler light will be bounced back at you.

The easiest example of this would be using the smartphone as you normally would, but in a dark room with the built-in flashlight turned on.

I saw a noticeable difference trying this. Good idea! I’m sold on the idea now.

34 minutes ago, Ace McPlane said:

I saw a noticeable difference trying this. Good idea! I’m sold on the idea now.

Good to hear! I've been using biased lighting on my computer monitors and television for several years now and I've been able to convert a few friends. It's such a big difference if I ever have it off for a few minutes.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Good to hear! I've been using biased lighting on my computer monitors and television for several years now and I've been able to convert a few friends. It's such a big difference if I ever have it off for a few minutes.

But why should we listen to your biased opinion? 

😛

But seriously, I added bias lighting to the TCL 43S425 I use as a computer monitor some time ago. I think it helps the perceived black levels and reduces eye strain (because you don't have the contrast of a glowing rectangle in a dark void).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.