Sporadic Monitor Flickering Issue/Artifacts

LPX

I'm facing a persistent and baffling issue with my dual-monitor setup (both HP M27fq) and I'm hoping for some guidance. Here are the key details:

• Flickering Issue: My 2nd monitor sometimes starts flickering, especially under heavy GPU load like in gaming sessions I have the feeling. It's less of an issue during basic desktop usage.
  • Triggered by Brightness: The flickering seems to intensify with very bright images on this monitor.
  • Troubleshooting Efforts: I've tried swapping cables (using a 1m HDMI to Thunderbolt 3 cable) and doing a clean graphics driver installation, but the issue remains.

Additional Observations:

• The problem stays with the second monitor even when I switch the positions of my primary and secondary monitors.
  • I've also started noticing some strange artifacts appearing on the screen when the flickering begins.
  • The only thing that always helps (for a while) is to unplug the HDMI cable on the monitor and replug it in.

Any advice or insights from similar experiences would be greatly helpful.

Here is a video of when it happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVwmTWcnt0

4 minutes ago, LPX said:

The problem stays with the second monitor even when I switch the positions of my primary and secondary monitors.

You mean you physically switched the monitors on your desk, right? Did you also switch the cables and ports on your graphics card?

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You mean you physically switched the monitors on your desk, right? Did you also switch the cables and ports on your graphics card?

Yes I physically switched the Monitors, and the issue stayed with the "2nd monitor". I also bought completely new cables. I use a NUCX i7 from Minisforum (RTX3070). Unfortunately this one only has 1 HDMI Out and the rest is all Thunderbolt. So I kinda have to stick with the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. But also switched that one out too for an even shorter cable, but didn't help. Maybe I should simply use a USB-A Graphics Adapter for the second monitor.

Minisforum NUCXi7

Just now, LPX said:

Yes I physically switched the Monitors, and the issue stayed with the "2nd monitor". I also bought completely new cables. I use a NUCX i7 from Minisforum (RTX3070). Unfortunately this one only has 1 HDMI Out and the rest is all Thunderbolt. So I kinda have to stick with the Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. But also switched that one out too for an even shorter cable, but didn't help. 

Okay, so if I understand correctly the issue always happens on the monitor that's connected to that Thunderbolt 3 port?
Sorry for asking so many questions 😛 

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Okay, so if I understand correctly the issue always happens on the monitor that's connected to that Thunderbolt 3 port?
Sorry for asking so many questions 😛 

no worries, I am happy for any input. Yes it does. But the port itself seems to work fine, as I also use it for my external SSD to copy loads of data back and forth. But now that you said this, I will probably try a USB-A to HDMI Graphics Adapter to see if the issue is resolved by this. I don't use my 2nd monitor for gaming anyway 🙂

1 minute ago, LPX said:

I will probably try a USB-A to HDMI Graphics Adapter

Fyi this is basically ALL done by the cpu which depending on what you put  on there can severly increase cpu load.

As for the thunderbolt port. You might just want a simple usb c hub and plug a cable in there as I've often had issues multiple times with direct thunderbolt to x cables.

Just now, LPX said:

no worries, I am happy for any input. Yes it does. But the port itself seems to work fine, as I also use it for my external SSD to copy loads of data back and forth. But now that you said this, I will probably try a USB-A to HDMI Graphics Adapter to see if the issue is resolved by this. I don't use my 2nd monitor for gaming anyway 🙂

I checked on your monitors and saw that they also feature DisplayPort. Any reason not to use that? Thunderbolt natively carries DisplayPort, so the connection might be better with a TB3 to DP adapter.

USB A to HDMI will also work of course. Even USB C to HDMI over Thunderbolt should work.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Fyi this is basically ALL done by the cpu which depending on what you put  on there can severly increase cpu load.

As for the thunderbolt port. You might just want a simple usb c hub and plug a cable in there as I've often had issues multiple times with direct thunderbolt to x cables.

This is actually a very good point. That way I also don't have to unplug the 2nd monitor when using the SSD. Thank you for that tip!

Just now, Senzelian said:

I checked on your monitors and saw that they also feature DisplayPort. Any reason not to use that? Thunderbolt natively carries DisplayPort, so the connection might be better with a TB3 to DP adapter.

USB A to HDMI will also work of course. Even USB C to HDMI over Thunderbolt should work.

will also give that a shot! thank you guys for the super quick support. awesome! 😄