Can I start a GPU w/ waterblock with no fluid in it?

Hi there!

Just a quick question, if a GPU has a waterblock on it but it isn't hooked up to a loop, is it fine to start it to check if it works?

Reason is I want to buy a used GPU that has a waterblock on it but the rest of my PC parts currently have no ETA on when it'll arrive so I'd like to use my friend's PC to test the GPU so I know if I need to return it or not. Head says it should be fine since the waterblock should soak some heat before it overheats.

I would say it's okay to test to ensure you have display out. Going to BIOS should be sufficient for that. Absolutely do not put any load on the card. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I would say it's okay to test to ensure you have display out. Going to BIOS should be sufficient for that. Absolutely do not put any load on the card. 

Would you say it's fine to get to the windows login screen and that's it or as soon as you see a boot logo, turn it off?

3 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

Would you say it's fine to get to the windows login screen and that's it or as soon as you see a boot logo, turn it off?

Nope - just to the BIOS/POST confirmation

Genuinely nothing more should be done on an uncooled card

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

The card will hit its thermal max in under a minute even without load, the heat won’t be going anywhere, just soaking into the block.

That would be enough time to see a windows login screen from my experience but that depends on the system and it’s boot time overall.

Youd get slightly more time if you filled it with water first, more mass for heat to sit in.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

The card will hit its thermal max in under a minute even without load, the heat won’t be going anywhere, just soaking into the block.

That would be enough time to see a windows login screen from my experience but that depends on the system and it’s boot time overall.

Youd get slightly more time if you filled it with water first, more mass for heat to sit in.

What if I point a fan at it? 

Just now, CephDigital said:

What if I point a fan at it? 

Not enough thermal transfer surface, it will still overheat.

Consider an air cooler on a GPU is 3 fans and a metal surface of dozens of square feet effectively. A water block on its own is less than half a square foot of metal surface.

2 hours ago, CephDigital said:

I don't see a reason to. You are simply checking if the display out is working. You shouldn't be going anything further than that. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.