How to control fan speed

dringdro

Hi,

I need help with controlling my case fan speeds. There are always running at max, kind of loud too. They are 3 pin fans, connected to a 4pin header on the motherboard. In the Bios I only see the option for PWM, changing the fan speed there does not change anything.

Is there an option to manually set the voltage for the fans in the bios? If so, please tell me, I can't find it. 

Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-S

Fans: be quiet! Pure Wings 2

Thanks

If u don't find it in the bios than use MSI afterburner to set the voltage

3 minutes ago, TheYTB said:

If u don't find it in the bios than use MSI afterburner to set the voltage

Not exactly how Afterburner works there bud.

OP, in theory you should have an option somewhere in your fan settings of the BIOS to change it from PWM to voltage control mode. I'm not entirely sure where since I can't find a damn thing about it anywhere and I don't have an MSI board myself to look at, but it SHOULD be there somewhere. If you simply cannot find it at all, you could also see if FanControl will do you any good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

27 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Not exactly how Afterburner works there bud.

OP, in theory you should have an option somewhere in your fan settings of the BIOS to change it from PWM to voltage control mode. I'm not entirely sure where since I can't find a damn thing about it anywhere and I don't have an MSI board myself to look at, but it SHOULD be there somewhere. If you simply cannot find it at all, you could also see if FanControl will do you any good.

Unfortunately FanControl will use whatever the BIOS setting is.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Unfortunately FanControl will use whatever the BIOS setting is.

Damn that sucks then. Hopefully OP can figure out where the hell MSI tucked the setting they need, I looked through the manual and saw nothing useful other than what boils down to the default being PWM control... which at least implies DC control is an option somewhere.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

17 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Damn that sucks then. Hopefully OP can figure out where the hell MSI tucked the setting they need, I looked through the manual and saw nothing useful other than what boils down to the default being PWM control... which at least implies DC control is an option somewhere.

My BIOS looks exactly the same as on the image. There you have the option for PWM, DC and Auto. For me I only see PWM for some reason.

IMG_0229.jpeg

2 hours ago, dringdro said:

My BIOS looks exactly the same as on the image. There you have the option for PWM, DC and Auto. For me I only see PWM for some reason.

That is very strange. Without having the ability to get my grubby ass mitts all over it, my two suggestions are a BIOS reset and if that still does nothing, a BIOS update (assuming you're not already on the latest, of course). Granted I have a Gigashite board, but it put me through a somewhat similar issue when I got it (it would only control PWM fans somewhat, and it was very temperamental about actually making DC fans follow my curve).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, dringdro said:

When you are editting fans other than the CPU curve do you see options for DC and auto. Some motherboards will always be PWM for the CPU fan.

Remoo Fan Control doesn't seem to control DC as good as BIOS. In BIOS I can have DC fans running at 30% as silent at minimum to get the fans spinning. In Fan Control it requires 45% to get them spinning continuosly, but its noisey with these Yate Loon fans. At least that is what I have noticed on the Asrock B450 Pro4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, alyen said:

When you are editting fans other than the CPU curve do you see options for DC and auto. Some motherboards will always be PWM for the CPU fan.

Remoo Fan Control doesn't seem to control DC as good as BIOS. In BIOS I can have DC fans running at 30% as silent at minimum to get the fans spinning. In Fan Control it requires 45% to get them spinning continuosly, but its noisey with these Yate Loon fans. At least that is what I have noticed on the Asrock B450 Pro4.

For all the awe over Rem0o FC, I have wished for more...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂