Upgrading a 3yr old-ish build.

Crakila

Budget (including currency): About €1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming. Primarily Final Fantasy XIV, but dabble into FPS (CoD Warzone/Battlefield) at times.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current part list: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/8Qf7GP

So my 'goal' is to try and get a decent build in time for the Summer whenever FFXIV's new expansion releases with updated minimum/recommended specs

I know with MMO's it may be more difficult to achieve, but I would like to try and play closer to the 144hz at 1080p supported by the monitor in busy areas like Limsa Lominsa. I currently get 40fps~ when idling there.

I already have ordered the 32GB (2x16GB) RAM kit (same brand as in the partpicker list) - 32GB is the limit on this board and that would be more than enough for me.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned updated minimum/recommended specs only include Intel CPU's and not AMD :old-sad:, so I am not sure what the equivalent of the i7-9700 is.

If possible, I would like to try and keep using the stock cooler that is there. I don't notice any major issues with this PC in terms of temperature. (Maybe I don't look into it enough), but if one is required, I would like to keep it low-profile due to the case. 

I have a feeling that I am going to need to upgrade the PSU for the GPU as I probably wouldn't have the connector for it (and maybe need more than 650W)

I have been eyeing the Ryzen 9 5900 and the RTX 4060 Ti/4070, but I am not sure if there would be any potential bottlenecks.

Any help would be appreciated. 🙂

If you are only gaming, get a 5800xed instead of the 5900x. Its better in gaming as thats what its made for. That being said, I think I would try the 3600 first. It should be comparable to the 9700 from what I found online. 

As for the GPU, I dont know the game, but I do know that the current gen from nvidia is not very popular. I would maybe go with a used last gen card (if you are ok with that) and save a bit of money as well, or an AMD card. As for your PSU, the 3600 doesnt need a whole lot of power, 65W iirc. After the other components you should still have more than 500W for the GPU. This wont be enough for a top tier card, but it might be enough for one step below that. 

Thanks for that, Devryd. I bought the 5800X3D (It was half price on Amazon) and a Noctua cooler as the stock cooler that came with the 3600 is probably not going to cut it.

I am going to hold out until the new year before looking towards the GPU upgrade!