Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 V2 pinout

Shun_di

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help me. I’ve bought a Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 V2 PSU from eBay recently. It was said that it was new but cables for it were lost in a house move and now not needed.

I have some modular cables from another PSU and some others on order. From what I’ve read, the advice is to not reuse modular cables as pinout vary between PSUs. Fair enough, but I’ve got a relatively cheap, albeit, quality PSU here, a multi meter, a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing. I’m pretty confident about splicing cables etc together and working with a multi meter (I have arcade machines and such skills are required to keep them going 😁)

So, while waiting for the cables to arrive I wanted to make sure that the PSU powered up. Check the Cooler Master site and downloaded the pinout. Great! I thought. However I think the documentation that Cooler Master have on their site is wrong. For example, I downloaded this:

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/Hb1KQy7Or2

It says that pin 2 is the Power On pin. So just need to ground that. Got a wire and tried grounding it to any of the ground pins on the 18 pin socket. Nothing.

So tried grounding it to the ground pins on the 10 pin socket, mostly nothing until I “grounded” to pin 6. The PSU came to life briefly and clicked on and clicked off. Tried hooking some fans up via a SATA connection and it clicked on and clicked off over and over again. After a bit of head scratching I discovered that pin 6 on the 10 pin socket was actually the power on pin and found a ground at pin 8 of the 10 pin socket. The PSU fired up, stayed on and is powering 6 case fans at the moment.

IMG_3381.thumb.jpeg.71669df434769380e98ed3a3ca3c5f42.jpeg

So, it works, but I have no idea what the actual pinout for this thing is. I can get some voltages by probing but not all pins that will be hooked up to the 24 pin motherboard connector will give me a voltage. I’m hoping someone here has this PSU or knows where the correct pinout is. The PCI and SATA sockets are ok as I have a working SATA cable and the PCI ones measure 12v and ground ok. It’s just the 18 and 10 pin motherboard sockets that I need to know before I plug it into a sacrificial motherboard 😁

Ok, some more info.

I’ve gone thorough and noted all of the voltages coming out of the 18 and 10 pin sockets on the PSU. Voltages were sometimes over what I’ve noted (for example 3.6V rather than 3.3V), however this is not under load so I suspect that the voltage is correct.

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.d7efe6af09f1bcb2f3ca82cef7250336.jpeg

I think I’ve got 90% of the info needed to hook this up properly to a 24 pin motherboard socket. However I’m not sure which voltages need to be connected as I have more than is needed for the 24 pin connection. Also, I think some standby voltages maybe required as well. Also, also I get 0.14V on pin 6 of the 18 pin socket. Is that the “Power Good” pin? I don’t know.

Again if someone has a variation of this PSU and can let me know the pinout, that would be great 😁.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just in case anyone else has the same issues that I have in finding the pinout for this PSU, I managed to find a diagram on a site called Solo Sleeving by image searching with Google. The pinout is down below. Only the SATA connection is slightly wrong I think, but I already had a compatible cable for that. The 24 pin to 10 and 18 pin is there along with the PCI-E and EPS pin outs.

I bought a Cooler Master 24 pin to 10 and 18 pin from Amazon and when it arrived I meticulously went through each pin on the PSU side (10 and 18 pin connectors) and checked continuity with a multi meter to the 24 pin side and see where each wire was connected. I was expecting most of the cables to be wired differently and they were, so I had to de-pin the cables on the PSU side that were wrong with a couple of staples (there are YouTube videos on how to do this) and then using the pinout below I re-pinned each wire into the correct place. It took a while but, once it was done I plugged the cables into the PSU, shorted PS_ON to ground so that the PSU turned on and then with a multi meter I measured the voltages from each pin while connected to a ground pin. Everything checked out ok. Wasn’t sure about the POWER_OK pin but apparently that will read as 5V once the PSU is up and running, which it was.

I had cables for EPS and PCI-E from another PSU. I checked these in the same way as above and these were pinned correctly for this PSU. Again checked the voltages before plugging into a motherboard.

Once I was happy with everything I plugged the PSU into the motherboard that I was going to use and it fired up nicely. Installed Windows 10 on an SSD and it’s working perfectly. The build isn’t quite finished yet as I need to move a GPU across from one of my other machines to test that which I haven’t done yet (also need to move the SSD around the back and change the SATA cable to a black one). It’s a fairly simple build, but it’s going to be a glorified Plex box that will also stream games via Moonlight to my MacBook and Fire Sticks in other rooms in the house. Who said you can’t game with an Apple machine 😉

IMG_3441.thumb.jpeg.25974bf09841613d4f2b1af17d9b7273.jpeg

IMG_3449.thumb.jpeg.921b5bd5a0c6d433702662ed5ded907f.jpeg

IMG_3450.thumb.jpeg.02ad8c1abf163ab4f63e3ac38caf0db6.jpeg