PC started randomly freezing for about a year now

gabe.martinez1208

Hello, I've been struggling to figure out my problem and I decided to make an account to ask for help here.

The PC i built was amazing for the first year and never had problems until I was gifted 2 more identical RAM modules for my PC, i added them and immediately problems occurred, decided the new ones were defective so i went to Best Buy to replace them. BOOM! problems fix....kinda. ever since, I've had random PC crashes, where my music on Spotify stops, my mouse cursor stops and my keyboard and screen all just pause, no blue screen no beeps no reboots. i don't think it's the RAM since it works 95% of the time its the random 5% that makes me mad, having to reboot my PC with the power button and watch my unsaved photography work be erased as i shut it down. but IDK maybe it is.

no specific software is open when this occurs, but usually Photoshop, chrome, and sometimes 5 seconds after rebooting the PC with nothing open. (never while gaming)

Ryzen 5 3600x

1660 super

corsair 850x gold PSU (swapped from a 650 after problems, to try to fix)

Asus b450 nonwifi + wifi module on second PCIE slot

5 case fans (3 rgb + 2 stock) 

stock cooler

4x  8gb corsair vengeance 3600hz (3600 is running)

corsair 4000d airflow case?

western digital black 512 GB SSD m.2

any suggestions i will try, im sad to see my first pc go so soon 😞

Capture.PNG

Bad ram might have damaged your OS or drivers, and you would never know how many or which files got corrupted. The easiest solution is to run the system on a new disk with fresh OS. If there are no problems, move your stuff to the new OS. If there are, then it is a hardware issue.

55 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Bad ram might have damaged your OS or drivers, and you would never know how many or which files got corrupted. The easiest solution is to run the system on a new disk with fresh OS. If there are no problems, move your stuff to the new OS. If there are, then it is a hardware issue.

I’ve tried that before but i did have the old ram still in it so I’ll give it another go!

On 11/30/2023 at 8:44 PM, lafrente said:

Good news, I got a new fresh windows install, bad news…it still freezes, I also ended up getting a new motherboard since I heard maybe something got fried and got a good deal for a cpu motherboard and ram bundle, but yeah still freezes….any chance it’s the SSD? I noticed I put it in without a standoff….so it’s slightly bent…

parts not changed are psu, gpu and ssd, everything else is brand new. (Psu is pretty new tho and a lot better than my old one)

20 hours ago, gabe.martinez1208 said:

Good news, I got a new fresh windows install, bad news…it still freezes, I also ended up getting a new motherboard since I heard maybe something got fried and got a good deal for a cpu motherboard and ram bundle, but yeah still freezes….any chance it’s the SSD? I noticed I put it in without a standoff….so it’s slightly bent…

parts not changed are psu, gpu and ssd, everything else is brand new. (Psu is pretty new tho and a lot better than my old one)

I am out of ideas other than individually eliminating parts one by one. Start a new topic with the new information. Maybe others can help.