Ryzen 9 7900x Temperature Questions

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
12 minutes ago, Postman01 said:

Oh dear god, I had watched those vids, but I thought with beefy enough watercooling it should never hit 95. What if it hits 91 almost instantly, like 20 seconds into Cinebench.

completely expected behaviour 🙂  Nothing wrong here.

Basically, with these CPU's you need all the cooling you have at 90-95.
I have a 7700x and a NH-D15 that I have at 27% fanspeed ( I like quiet ) until 90c then 100% fanspeed from 90-95c to allow my CPU to hit boost clock while at TJmax.

I never go above 80c during normal gaming so my system stay quiet unless I do heavy workloads.  Works really well for me.

Hello, I've just built my first pc, and am taking note of the temperatures I am getting and trying to get a read if my temperatures are normal.

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 9 7900x
Kraken Elite z73 360mm AIO set to exhaust.
G Skill 64gb cl30 5800mhz
Asus B650E-F Gaming Wifi
Xfx 7900xt black
MSI A1000g 1000w power supply
3 lian li sl120 fans set to intake
Noctua Redux 120mm set to exhaust
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU temps Idle at 38-40 degrees with a few chrome tabs and nzxt cam open to monitor
Sits at 58-65 Playing Minecraft, RUST, TF2 , etc with GPU at 48 degrees.

CPU hits 91 degrees and clocks at 5.1 GHZ under 100% load using Cinebench R23

Motherboard settings are mostly stock, any recomendations or confirmations about what I am seeing would be beautiful, Thank you so much.

2 minutes ago, Postman01 said:
Hello, I've just built my first pc, and am taking note of the temperatures I am getting and trying to get a read if my temperatures are normal.

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 9 7900x
Asus B650E-F Gaming Wifi
Xfx 7900xt black
CPU temps Idle at 38-40 degrees with a few chrome tabs and nzxt cam open to monitor

Motherboard settings are mostly stock, any recomendations or confirmations about what I am seeing would be beautiful, Thank you so much.

Completely normal behaviour for the AM5 7000 series. My 7700x is the same.
They are actually designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c ( and staying there ) before anything else, its weird and no other CPU's are designed like this.
Check these 3 videos out. Top 2 are timed at the points describing 7000 series temperatures. Jay'z video is just a fun experiment explaining it too, well worth a watch to see how it works. It will explain everything you need to know.

1 minute ago, Postman01 said:

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 9 7900x
Asus B650E-F Gaming Wifi
Xfx 7900xt black

Those temps are fine, AMD says the cpu is built to be running at 95c 24/7 so 91c with cinebench and 70c when gaming is fine. 

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

2 minutes ago, Postman01 said:

All those temps are about what I'd expect. Cinebench I'd expect to be at 95C, though it's not impossible to get it down to 91. What score are you getting though, since with the way modern CPUs work with their boost algorithms, the way to measure thermal performance is to look at the performance rather than the discrete temperatures. 

look at it from the bright side, you'll save a lot of $ for heating in the winter...~ 🙂

my 5800x3D only does like ~60 🥶

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

My old 7900x setup was air cooled with an AK620 (then Assassin IV). Stock, 45-50c idle, 92c load (Cinebench R23). 

30 seconds though gets you PBO w/ Curve Optimizer set to -20 all core resulting in 42c idle (most of the time) and 87-88 load under Cinebench (and was faster). 

In fact its fastest was when I enabled an 85c temp limit. Sadly I sold that chip, it was certainly more fun to play with than the 7800x3D I have now.

These chips are super easy to work with, IMO. 

This is from a while ago, well before the RAM was touched.. just stock.

54 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

All those temps are about what I'd expect. Cinebench I'd expect to be at 95C, though it's not impossible to get it down to 91. What score are you getting though, since with the way modern CPUs work with their boost algorithms, the way to measure thermal performance is to look at the performance rather than the discrete temperatures. 

I got a multi core score of 28,890 with the clocks stabilizing at 5.1 GHz

57 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Completely normal behaviour for the AM5 7000 series. My 7700x is the same.
They are actually designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c ( and staying there ) before anything else, its weird and no other CPU's are designed like this.
Check these 3 videos out. Top 2 are timed at the points describing 7000 series temperatures. Jay'z video is just a fun experiment explaining it too, well worth a watch to see how it works. It will explain everything you need to know.

Oh dear god, I had watched those vids, but I thought with beefy enough watercooling it should never hit 95. What if it hits 91 almost instantly, like 20 seconds into Cinebench.

12 minutes ago, Postman01 said:

completely expected behaviour 🙂  Nothing wrong here.

Basically, with these CPU's you need all the cooling you have at 90-95.
I have a 7700x and a NH-D15 that I have at 27% fanspeed ( I like quiet ) until 90c then 100% fanspeed from 90-95c to allow my CPU to hit boost clock while at TJmax.

I never go above 80c during normal gaming so my system stay quiet unless I do heavy workloads.  Works really well for me.

27 minutes ago, Postman01 said:

I got a multi core score of 28,890 with the clocks stabilizing at 5.1 GHz

OK, that's about what I'd expect. From what I know, ideal is ~29,500, though ~600 points in Cinebench can be within margin of error and things like Chrome running in the background can also drop it down a couple hundred points. 

37 minutes ago, Postman01 said:

What if it hits 91 almost instantly, like 20 seconds into Cinebench.

yeah, that's just how cpus work... they draw power they get hot ~instantly...

What about it? is it thermal throttling? 

use hwinfo64, it should show the temp numbers in red and also tell you thermal throttling "yes" if it does.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

PROFESSIONAL PC HELP FAST
The temperatures you're seeing for your Ryzen 9 7900x are within the normal range. AMD's Ryzen 7000 series CPUs are designed to run up to 95°C, and they will throttle to prevent overheating if they reach this temperature

Your idle temperatures of 38-40°C are actually quite good compared to some reports of idle temperatures in the 50-65°C range

Under load, your CPU reaching 91°C while running Cinebench R23 is also within the expected range. The Ryzen 9 7900x has been reported to run at high temperatures, even reaching up to 91.6°C in some tests

Your GPU temperature of 48°C while gaming is also within a normal range.However, it's important to ensure that your cooling system is working efficiently. Your Kraken Elite z73 360mm AIO is a high-quality cooler that should provide good cooling performance

Make sure it's properly installed and that the fans are working correctly.As for your motherboard, the Asus B650E-F Gaming Wifi, there have been some reports of high chipset temperatures

If you notice any issues, you might want to check the chipset temperature and ensure adequate airflow in your case.In conclusion, your temperatures seem normal for your hardware. However, always ensure your system has good airflow and your cooling solutions are working properly to maintain these temperatures. If you notice any sudden increases in temperature, it might be worth investigating further.