DIY Nas Build - 40 TB with Raid 60

Budget (including currency): 4000$ish AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4K Video Editing, Large batch Photo Editing, Remote Access, 0 Level Encryption with Sync to Dropbox, and Share Folders to People remotely to review photos. Host TV Shows and Movies. Also Backup Home Devices. Ideally 8+ Drives with Raid 60, ECC Support, 32GB, Seagate Ironwolf Pro Drives. Looking for about a total of 40TB of storage after setting up the raid. Transcoding footage. Remotely access files. Caching. 10 Gigabit.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have been looking at the Synology DS1823XS+ but I hear that Synology is making some questionable decisions. I feel like I would get more bang for my buck with a DIY Self Managed Setup. I did consider Qnap, but I hear that they arent quite great.

pls be kind

I don't know much about this stuff.

I have used synology stuff and it works fine. If you want simple its a pretty good solution. I like their apps for remote access, and gernally a pretty good experience. You can go truenas here if you want diy hardware.

I don't see raid 60 making sense with 8 drives. Raid 10 would make a lot more sense with 8 drives, or go raid 6 if you want more space. Really depends on your performance needs, but with some video editing stuff you really want ssds these days, but depends on your workload.

Did you look at Asustor?

19 minutes ago, TheLastJinchuriki said:

I don't know much about this stuff.

Suggests that a DIY solution is going to be much more expensive than off the shelf. Learning curve will be significant given desired functionality.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have used synology stuff and it works fine. If you want simple its a pretty good solution. I like their apps for remote access, and gernally a pretty good experience. You can go truenas here if you want diy hardware.

I don't see raid 60 making sense with 8 drives. Raid 10 would make a lot more sense with 8 drives, or go raid 6 if you want more space. Really depends on your performance needs, but with some video editing stuff you really want ssds these days, but depends on your workload.

The reason I wanted Raid 60 is because with * drives and 2 sub-arrays, any 4 drives can fail. Just had too many past experiences where the wrong drives failed.

Write speed isn't too important to me. Read speed is probably the biggest area of gain that would benefit my workload.

10 minutes ago, brob said:

Did you look at Asustor?

Suggests that a DIY solution is going to be much more expensive than off the shelf. Learning curve will be significant given desired functionality.

After watching a few Unraid Vs TrueNas videos I think that's unfortunately going to be true... I think a plug-and-play option would be ideal for me. Maybe Qnap might have something that will suit my needs.

4 minutes ago, TheLastJinchuriki said:

The reason I wanted Raid 60 is because with * drives and 2 sub-arrays, any 4 drives can fail. Just had too many past experiences where the wrong drives failed.

Write speed isn't too important to me. Read speed is probably the biggest area of gain that would benefit my workload.

Raid 10 can also have 4 drives. fail. Raid 60 can lose all the data with 3 dead drives too.

But a multi disk failure is pretty unlikely here, and raid 10 does reads and random io faster here, so I'd go raid 10 here. 

Make sure you have backups so you don't lose data in case the whole array dies.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Raid 10 can also have 4 drives. fail. Raid 60 can lose all the data with 3 dead drives too.

But a multi disk failure is pretty unlikely here, and raid 10 does reads and random io faster here, so I'd go raid 10 here. 

Make sure you have backups so you don't lose data in case the whole array dies.

wouldnt raid 10 not handle bit rot at all?
like if one bit is wrong it has NO idea which one is right?

not that bitrot happens alot, but Nas storage is storage people try to keep for decades.

is unraid with BTRFS raid 6/60 a better option? (this is a question, not advice for OP)

I peronsally find the ability to add in new drives of a larger size a godsend for home NAS usage. 
To have to swap out ALL the drives to get more storage with ZFS seems like a nonstarter for home use. A solid nas should last you 15+ years and your storage needs will change over time. 

11 minutes ago, starsmine said:

wouldnt raid 10 not handle bit rot at all?
like if one bit is wrong it has NO idea which one is right?

not that bitrot happens alot, but Nas storage is storage people try to keep for decades.

is unraid with BTRFS raid 6/60 a better option?

I peronsally find the ability to add in new drives of a larger size a godsend for home NAS usage. 
To have to swap out ALL the drives to get more storage with ZFS seems like a nonstarter for home use. A solid nas should last you 15+ years and your storage needs will change over time. 

Yea raid 10 can't tell the correct copy of data without checksums like zfs and storage spaces has. Not typically a big issue as HDDs have their own checksums.

Unraid is gonna be pretty slow typically as its a single disks speeds, probalby not optimal here.

ZFS raid 10 lets you upgrade each pair of drives for more space, or add an additional pair later on for more space.

I'd probably just go with Synology for OPs needs as its simple.

On 11/17/2023 at 2:48 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea raid 10 can't tell the correct copy of data without checksums like zfs and storage spaces has. Not typically a big issue as HDDs have their own checksums.

Unraid is gonna be pretty slow typically as its a single disks speeds, probalby not optimal here.

ZFS raid 10 lets you upgrade each pair of drives for more space, or add an additional pair later on for more space.

I'd probably just go with Synology for OPs needs as its simple.

Sorry for the late reply.

Would the Synology model I mentioned be able to handle everything I mentioned? some Reddit posts say that its lack of an iGPU makes it less than stellar in performance when using it as a server for hosting movies and playing from.

Would this be a better option as it supports ZFS as the synology doesnt support ZFS I think?

1 hour ago, TheLastJinchuriki said:

Sorry for the late reply.

Would the Synology model I mentioned be able to handle everything I mentioned? some Reddit posts say that its lack of an iGPU makes it less than stellar in performance when using it as a server for hosting movies and playing from.

Would this be a better option as it supports ZFS as the synology doesnt support ZFS I think?

That synology should be fine. The big need for gpu power is transcoding media, and not really sure how much you need to do that here.

The synology software provides a pretty simmilar feature set to ZFS, so I wouldn't see a big reason to go ZFS fere.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

That synology should be fine. The big need for gpu power is transcoding media, and not really sure how much you need to do that here.

The synology software provides a pretty simmilar feature set to ZFS, so I wouldn't see a big reason to go ZFS fere.

I just realised with that synology NAS I would have to get the synology drives which are double the price of any other drives of the same capacity.

I could just spend a bit more on this Qnap nas qnap tvs-h1288x, and get cheaper Exos drives and still be better off money wise and have that transcoding power.

With the transcoding i would love to have that as i just want to set up my family with tv shows and movies to watch and get rid of all our subscriptions.

3 hours ago, TheLastJinchuriki said:

I just realised with that synology NAS I would have to get the synology drives which are double the price of any other drives of the same capacity.

I could just spend a bit more on this Qnap nas qnap tvs-h1288x, and get cheaper Exos drives and still be better off money wise and have that transcoding power.

With the transcoding i would love to have that as i just want to set up my family with tv shows and movies to watch and get rid of all our subscriptions.

Yea I forget what synologys only allow their drives and that seems to be one of them.

THe Qnaps also work fine, so I don't see a problem with them here.

You might also look at Asustor.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.