Windows installer locked on some pc model

DavideP

I have a problem with a very particular system.

I have a Plotter A0 and a scanner A0 that need a server in order to work, in fact both plotter and scanner without the server are just a pice of metal.
In the server there is a propietary pci card ( not pci-e ) for LVDS serial comunication with the plotter and the scanner.
On the server run an embedded version windows xp with preloaded the software needed for running all the things ( make scann, make print, and comunicate with other pc and server ).
I have the original floppy for the installation of the operating system, but ( and that is the problem ) the software can be installed only on few computer model ( some dell optiplex like the GX520 and other similar ); when you try to install it on other pc ( also pc with exactly same specs ) the installation suddently arrest and waring that the pc don't match the possible pc model list.
The original pc died years ago, and now is dead the 2° pc that i have buy used, this particular model seems have a realy weak motherboard they just keep dieing ( no power issue on the line no particular problem arround, all other server and pc on the office work fine ).
Anybody know a way to force the installation of the OS on a pc that not match the model list set on the OS ?

Is the company that made the software still around? We have a coffee roaster that runs on Windows 7 embedded, which the company no longer supports, but they were able to hunt down some old internal PDFs from the previous customer support guy on troubleshooting steps so we could fix the issue on our own. If it's a more niche company with an internal support team (vs outsourced folks who have access to a basic service script and little else) they may be able to help. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

There isn't a generic universal answer... you (or someone) will have to study the installer and see if you can either reverse engineer/replicate it or find the check mechanism and alter or bypass it. Potential easy answer: examine the files on the floppy and see if somewhere on there is a list of compatible models you can change.

This is unfortunatly a case of either contact the company that made it for a unibersal installer, dissect the installer, install the os on a supported one and virtualize it,...

We ended up having this for a bike assembly machine. After a install I cloned the drive and virtualized it to a hyper v server and its been working well ever since happily confused.If it acts up I have a master copy that I can just spin up.

The gx520 is common in machinery but has a severe case of the capacitor sickness of the early to mid 2000's. The boards need to be recapped with decent capacitors and then will run for another 20 years basically. The caps used were miserably quality.

@Zando_ @jaslion In the past year i try to contact the company that made plotter and software, the answer was "just buy the new model we can't do nothing"; that machine cost sometingh like 12K€ is not exactly cheap and is very annoing that i have to replace it just because an extremly cheap pc is broken...

Just for information the comany is Ocè now owned by Canon.

@thevictor390 Ok that a possibility, onestly i don't know where i need to look 😂 but i will try 

@jaslion uhmm that interesting beacuase now i have two GX520 with what i diasgnose broken motherboard ( fan spin, no video output, no 5v on usb, and cant even enter the bios - try to replace cpu, ram, psu, remove unecessary stuff but nothing completly dead ); i supose was a most extense damage maby some IC, but if is "only" a capacitor problem maybe i can fix one of them

Thanx all 

23 hours ago, jaslion said:

We ended up having this for a bike assembly machine. After a install I cloned the drive and virtualized it to a hyper v server and its been working well ever since happily confused.If it acts up I have a master copy that I can just spin up.

So hold on.  Bike assembly machines exist in the first place?  I do not understand the logic or need for their existance, and now I must know more about this.

Why am I perplexed?  O.K., for one, the demand for bikes must be in the literally millions of times lower than that for engines.

What exactly, is this machine assembling?  Is it the chains and gearing, plastic pedals, or putting on tires?  I just wouldn't have thought putting together something as basic as a bike, would require automation to put together.  I could see the gears being created by a machine, 100%, but not assembly.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

1 hour ago, E-waste said:

So hold on.  Bike assembly machines exist in the first place?  I do not understand the logic or need for their existance, and now I must know more about this.

Why am I perplexed?  O.K., for one, the demand for bikes must be in the literally millions of times lower than that for engines.

What exactly, is this machine assembling?  Is it the chains and gearing, plastic pedals, or putting on tires?  I just wouldn't have thought putting together something as basic as a bike, would require automation to put together.  I could see the gears being created by a machine, 100%, but not assembly.

Just the wheels that one. All those spokes are done super fast that way

Other machines do the chains and gear assembly.

Also a tire machine

Else the rest is by hand

6 hours ago, DavideP said:

@jaslion you are probably right 💥 some capacitor are in short, and visibly damaged

DSC_1932.JPG

DSC_1934.JPG

Yeah a bunch burst, are about to and are leaking.

Easy to replace tho